Rugby...

'Dale

Tell me this, and be honest:

If you were the organizer and you had a couple of zillion of your own money to invest in Rugby World Cup, and you wanted a good return on your investment, with the lowest risk of losing money, would you have chosen South Africa, Ireland or France?

I would have picked Ireland, then France, but not SA.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were the organizer and you had a couple of zillion of your own money to invest in Rugby World Cup, and you wanted a good return on your investment, with the lowest risk of losing money, would you have chosen South Africa, Ireland or France?

Why would you invest in a country with only one proper stadium? If your investment is measured in tickets sold then SA. Also it is a lot cheaper to visit SA than Europe so expect more visitors here.

Why would you invest in a country with only one proper stadium? If your investment is measured in tickets sold then SA. Also it is a lot cheaper to visit SA than Europe so expect more visitors here.

But what is the likelyhood of political instability, service delivery demonstrations, crime, preventing it from happening at all, 1 month or 1 week or 1 day before kick off? In SA, Ireland and France?

Edit: The way Durban (and our government) stuffed it up in their bid for the 2022 Commonwealth games, where i was awarded to them, but they then failed to deliver on their promises on time, and had to withdraw their bid, didn't make us look like a good place to trust either.

Edited by DJR

Good thing we didn't get it. It would have just been a temporary distraction from the reality of the k@k that is going on in SA. Another 1995 rainbow nation bulldust marketing roadshow and then afterwards, back to the salt mines. Sort out our sh!te first, and then when we have a properly functioning democracy we can get some new toys to play with.

Well the World Cup can always be moved should it become apparent in 2021 that SA is not able to have it here. They have done it with the IPL and I know for a fact there is always contingency plans with regards to these tournaments. I think it was arrogant for the French to point to our crime stats when they themselves are a terrorist hotspot.

The vote did not go against us because of our country - France simply bought it. Look closely at the votes. We actually got more votes from the larger unions (3 votes) but almost none from the smaller unions.

You have to ask yourself why would so many Unions go against the recommendation that all unions agreed upon 18 months ago?

France - 24

Scotland 3

Italy 3

Japan 2

Georgia 1

Romania 1

Canada 1

USA 1

*England 2

Asia 2

South America 2

Europe 2

Africa 2

North America 2

South Africa - 15

Wales 3

New Zealand 3

Australia 3

Argentina 3

Oceania 2

*England 1

I think it is easy to see that hosting this would have been a nett financial benefit to ZA inc. infrastructure spend would piggyback everything we have already got from FIFA 2010.

I think it is also easy to say that a France tournament would produce the most money for world rugby. With a risky tournament in 2019 in Japan, it's probably prudent to go with a banker.

It's hard to play the politics and violence crystal ball card. Sure a zim coup can't have helped. It is quite odd that almost nothing was said about the vote being decided on the 2 year anniversary of a terrorist attack on the stadium where the final is now going to be held.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3317836/France-Germany-supporters-brought-pitch-Stade-France-evacuated-following-terror-attack-Paris.html

Brown envelopes, who knows?

Just disappointed that we've now bid 4 times in a row unsuccessfully

It would be more embarrassing to be awarded hosts only to have it rescheduled to be played elsewhere. Excluding crime only as recently as last year the government banned us from hosting the cup in 2023 due to "transformation". It took a lot of begging to get them to lift it, even parading Ramaphosa as the face of the bid is no guarantee something like this will not reoccur again and rugby will become a political football. 

Edited by scotty

Good thing we didn't get it. It would have just been a temporary distraction from the reality of the k@k that is going on in SA. Another 1995 rainbow nation bulldust marketing roadshow and then afterwards, back to the salt mines. Sort out our sh!te first, and then when we have a properly functioning democracy we can get some new toys to play with.

The thing is this could have given many people a lot of hope and something to look forward to.  A world cup also has a way to unite a country as it has done in the past.  SA could be in a much better space in a few years time.  Upcoming elections could change everything.  SA needs to deal with its issues now and everybody being negative doesn't help.

Any ways we didn't get it so time to move on

A lot cheaper yes but much more convenient to travel to France. You dont have to travel/take leave for 2-4 weeks.

In numbers of tickets sold you have it backwards. But it is all about the money, France ahead, SA Ireland on a par

http://kwese.espn.com/rugby/story/_/id/21423909/2023-rugby-world-cup-france-winning-bid-built-financial-muscle

Surprisingly the tournament won't even be in Paris

The thing is this could have given many people a lot of hope and something to look forward to. A world cup also has a way to unite a country as it has done in the past. SA could be in a much better space in a few years time. Upcoming elections could change everything. SA needs to deal with its issues now and everybody being negative doesn't help.

You're a glass half full kind of guy.

Personally I think that a rugby world cup would not be a big uniter in the greater scheme of things.. Maybe if we win it.. But the actual event... Not so much... Only really for the middle class... Rugby around the world is an upper class sport and it's yet to lose that stigma... Where the greater population are in south Africa would not give two hoots about this

You're a glass half full kind of guy.

Personally I think that a rugby world cup would not be a big uniter in the greater scheme of things.. Maybe if we win it.. But the actual event... Not so much... Only really for the middle class... Rugby around the world is an upper class sport and it's yet to lose that stigma... Where the greater population are in south Africa would not give two hoots about this

SA Rugby proposed a system for ticket sales that made provision for low cost and free tickets for school children.  A lot of thinking and effort went into the bid that a lot of people don't know.  The growth of rugby in rural areas and rugby as ` whole was a big part of the bid

Edited by Garfield2010

The thing is this could have given many people a lot of hope and something to look forward to. A world cup also has a way to unite a country as it has done in the past. SA could be in a much better space in a few years time. Upcoming elections could change everything. SA needs to deal with its issues now and everybody being negative doesn't help.

Lets not get confused here..in 1995 it wasn't the Rugby that gave us hope it was Mandela who used the event to unite the country and gave us hope, we have a very very different set of people involved with politics atm..no major tournament is going to magically fix things.

The money wasted on a big event like this can and should be utilised better..we don't have money for this crap and the bribes that go with it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SA Rugby proposed a system for ticket sales that made provision for low cost and free tickets for school children. A lot of thinking and effort went into the bid that a lot of people don't know. The growth of rugby in rural areas and rugby as ` whole was a big part of the bid

That's where I'm a cynical old bastard... The growth in the rural areas of not achieved through some cheap ticket sales where they can barely afford a bag of maize meal (which went up in price Something like 35% recently).. Its achieved by providing facilities. If you take a drive from Richards bay to mkhuze... You not gonna see one rugby post along the way.. And this is where SARU have really failed and why they don't deserve it