26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You would not expect anything else. I find a 29er to outrun a 26" in ALL departments, except for stuff like "bunny-hop"

That's less than 1% difference. Hardly a reason to buy a new bike!

Will be interesting to see the full report, but there are obviously a massive number of variables then could account for a 1% difference in time. For me the point is that there is no clear advantage to the one over the other.

thats impressive stats, however are we strong enough to turn the bigger wheels faster.

I'm a novice against them and turn the big wheels like nothing. :D

That's less than 1% difference. Hardly a reason to buy a new bike!

Will be interesting to see the full report, but there are obviously a massive number of variables then could account for a 1% difference in time. For me the point is that there is no clear advantage to the one over the other.

Concidering that during XC they will do laps where the split times are within seconds. This 1% for them is a massive diff. Have you experienced a 29er? If you have not done at least 100km on a 29er, you cannot comment whether there is an advantage or not. Leave those to the guys that experienced both.

The red one....

mmmm wonder why spez would do a test like this....now I am stirring :unsure:

sales must be down :D

a month ago I was not a fan of the 29er....but research on the web and on magazines etc made me buy into the hype - I have done around 200km on the new bike and wow. Glad I made the move especialy with epic coming up!!!

I am still split... I have a 29er Ht, 9.6 Kg, and my 26inch dual at 9.7 Kg.

They are very close in speed, on the techincal stuff, the dual is significantly easier to ride in the rough and tight "van gaalens" style riding, the 26 inch is more reactive and easier to control. Its also more comfortable.

I have noticed one thing, you can ride the 29er kamikaze style, carry a lot more corner speed as there is a lot more grip.If you can "hold on" in this style riding, there is no way the 26 er is faster. Even through the tight stuff.

The 29 er is faster and up to 4 or 5 km/h on sandy, or rocky jeep track, if the decents are not to technical the bike is a lot more stable and again a significant amount quicker, but wait there is more, the thing climbs like a beast, grip is significantly more than the 26er and its more responsive.

For me, the ultimate bike is a 29er dual, it will be quicker in 90 %, even if its half a kg more than the 26 inch brother, of the South African marathon style riding. Marathon bikes will all become 29ers, jump bikes and down hills probably stay 26, for the time being.

The XC short course racing will be the home of the 26 inch in my opinion(until the weight issue of 29er is sorted), some success will be had on certain courses with 29er, due to the grip, or fantastic riders.

I am only 1.76m tall and also wonder whether a 29' would not be too "big" for me... I am riding one this weekend so only time will tell. At the moment not much will separate me from my 26' :clap:

I would think that more than one test would be needed over a period of time with different individuals.

I would think that more than one test would be needed over a period of time with different individuals.

or maybe powermeters for consistency

I am not against anything 29er, in fact I will probably buy one this year, but as we all know there are pros and cons, depending on the route, rider, time of day, freshness of legs, route knowledge, phase of the moon, that little rock that was there just now but bumped of the track on your previous run, and of course Winnie Mandela's driver's last known traffic offence, This is just pure Spez Marketing crap. We all want to be as good on the bike as Dan, Christoph, Conrad and Burry, but unfortunately most of it boils down to genetics and talent, with a bit of hard work thrown in for good measure, Instant gratification, just buy our 29er and you will be faster. Clever. All PowerBalance buyers apply first.

I have come to the conclusion that most of us (and that includes myself at the top of the list) are a bunch of sissies when it comes to off-road riding. Wheelsize this, tire pressure that, groupset here, fork there. It is a humbling experience to watch cyclo-cross and see what can be done on rigid bikes with skinny tires on tracks I would not even dare to venture out on the nicest of days. I repeat, we are sissies. And big ones. Nuff said, my rant is now over. Pass me the chocolate milkshake.