26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

Asterix and Obelix visits Egypt, they go sight seeing and visit the pyramids and the sphinx. Asterix does curio shopping looking and bargaining for mini sphinx statues because Getafix said he wants one.. Obelix wanders off an climbs up the face of the sphinx. He steps on the nose and part of the crumbling nose shears off. (No Napoleon did not shoot it off in target practice!!!!) The Arab trader where Asterix is haggling looks up with horror on his face and sees the new effigy of the sphinx, He whips out a hammer and chisel and modifies his minuatures chopping their noses off. Next frame shows all the stalls and their Arab owners doin the same.

I read something of that in the story above.

You could be right

In 1737, British traveler Richard Pococke visited Egypt and made a sketch of the Sphinx that was published six years later. The nose is shown intact, but Pococke likely exercised his poetic license by adding it when it was not there (earlier, in 1579, Johannes Helferich had further taken an artist's liberties by depicting the Sphinx with a nose -- and with decidedly female features). Frederick Lewis Norden, an artist and marine architect, also sketched the Sphinx in 1737. His detailed drawings, published in 1755, were more realistic and showed the Sphinx with no nose. It is very unlikely that Norden would omit the nose if it was present. We can conclude that the nose was gone by 1737 at the latest; thus its removal can not be blamed on Napoleon's troops, who visited more than 50 years later.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you mean the technical argument that neiners dont do well for long travel situations? So the Me2 approach dictates the middle ground, 650B?

which reminds me, it was funny reading some neiner riders saying they are bunny hopping. i thought that wagon wheel is supposed to roll over anything. ;)

Hmmm. I just looked into my crystal ball and saw into the future. Hardtail=29er. Trail/all mountain=650b. DH =26. Basically the more travel you have the smaller the wheel size. Smaller wheels are theoretically stronger anyway so fit the aplication well. In ten years it won't be 29 vs 26, it'll be wheelsize appropriate for what you ACTUALLY NEED!

Jimmy: if 650B fits existing longer travel forks using the widest rubber, then it's almost a no brainer that 650b will enter DH sooner than later. I'm still waiting to see which market segment scott and giant will be pushing 650b. Rumor had it the former company placed a massive order of 650b forks from Fox. If SRAMs in on the act as well, with one of their premium forks too, then writings on the wall. just need that blacklamp to see the masterplan.

Or wait ;)

Exept 650b won't fit existing forks cos the wheels are too big. I guess we won't know until someone builds a couple of dh bikes with 650 and 29 wheels and let's us all test ride. Until then I reserve judgement...

650B wheels already fit into Fox forks (and a number of other forks just fine), not sure the maximum rubber size, but pretty everything that is available now.

Jimmy: if 650B fits existing longer travel forks using the widest rubber, then it's almost a no brainer that 650b will enter DH sooner than later. I'm still waiting to see which market segment scott and giant will be pushing 650b. Rumor had it the former company placed a massive order of 650b forks from Fox. If SRAMs in on the act as well, with one of their premium forks too, then writings on the wall. just need that blacklamp to see the masterplan.

Or wait ;)

On a related note... "All my friends, know the Low Rider...."

You could be right

Actually the estimates for when the nose disappeared seems to have occured when the Arab's invaded Egypt and being "insulted" by "images" of false gods defaced all the statutes in Egypt by smashing off their noses. The start of religious intolerance. THis may also be an attempt to blame the islamic hoards for the damage, as it was also practice to deface the statutes of unpopular rulers after they and their dynaties failed, in an attempt to ensure that they never returned or were worshiped as gods.

Actually the estimates for when the nose disappeared seems to have occured when the Arab's invaded Egypt and being "insulted" by "images" of false gods defaced all the statutes in Egypt by smashing off their noses. The start of religious intolerance. THis may also be an attempt to blame the islamic hoards for the damage, as it was also practice to deface the statutes of unpopular rulers after they and their dynaties failed, in an attempt to ensure that they never returned or were worshiped as gods.

is that where the phrase: cut off teh nose to spite the face comes from?

btw: big, beak like noses were a thing of pride, still is in the middle east.