26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

Before I shoot over to the classifeds, does anyone know where I can get a set of 650B wheels?

Talk to Jeep Dude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

650 nothing new MBR have a whole forum dedicated to it.

Yes, so I know it should fit the shova with a revelation fork.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

I have done it on my GT Marathon Team frame and it work well. Wheel on the rear does not leave a lot of space for mud, but lucky that is something we don't have to worry about in this area.

The ride is something to get use to. It rolls very nice like a 29er and is not as sluggish on the single tracks and technical sections as 29er. you will thou have to get use to getting them rolling like a 29er, but once they roll they keep there momentum very nice.

Overall I'm very satisfied.

Can anyone confirm a diameter for a 650b rim, I seem to be getting conflicting info on the worldwide web. Some sites are saying 584mm others mention 571mm, and if I convert 27.5" it gives me 698.5mm.

Would like to get me a set of rims, but need to be sure of rim sizing and then tyre size as well.

650[Letter]

In the French sizing system, tires are designated by a three-digit number, which may be followed by a letter. The number is the nominal
outside
diameter of the tire the rim was originally designed for. The absence of a letter indicated a narrow tire; "A", "B" and "C" indicated increasingly wider tires."A" was originally a tire about 30 mm wide, so the 650A rim is pretty large, 590 mm. If you add the top and bottom 30 mm tire thickness to 590, you wind up with the 650 mm tire diameter.

The 650C size was originally intended for a quite wide tire, about 40 mm wide. Top and bottom 40 mm tire plus the 571 mm rim size again bring you to a 650 mm outside diameter, even though the rim was smaller.

With time, however evolutionary processes have led to different widths of tires being applied to the rim, so the nominal 650 mm designation is now more theoretical than practical.
  • 597 mm, 650
    , is the same as the British 26 x 1 1/4" size used on
    , and was also
    for use on 3-speeds with a 1 3/8" wide tire. This size is seen less and less, as the bicycles which use it become rare.

• 590 mm, 650A,
    also called 26 x 1 3/8", is the size used on the classic
    . There's nothing theoretically wrong with this size (other than confusion with the Schwinn size!), but the selection of tires and rims available for it is pretty scanty these days.

• 571 mm, 650C,
    was originally a wide, balloon tire size, used on many older Schwinn cruisers. These days, however, it is mainly seen on
    bikes and
    machines. Available tires and rims are mostly very narrow, intended for competition use.

• 584 mm, 650B
    , is the focus of this article. This size, also known as 26 x 1 1/2", is most popular in France, where it was the traditional size for
    and
    , as well as general utility bikes.

The 650B size was never common in the U.S., and it went into decline even in France with the advent of the mountain bike. However, there is a dedicated group of fans of this wheel size, who have been diligently working to restore it to its former glory.

The situation as far as tire and rim availability has lately taken a turn for the better, and the future looks rosy for 650B.

Sheldon Brown (more general discourse than the quotation above relating more to road wheels.)

totally agree,mountain bikers have always been the forerunners in cycling development when it comes to new products and ideas..........650 b is coming in a big way ......... whatch this space !

is that where the phrase: cut off teh nose to spite the face comes from?

btw: big, beak like noses were a thing of pride, still is in the middle east.

Cleopatra's nose was a recurring theme in that Asterix adventure…

post-1604-0-96742600-1329799744.png

Sheldon Brown (more general discourse than the quotation above relating more to road wheels.)

Thanks for that, was looking at getting a set of ZTR 650b built up, just need to be absolutely sure that it will work on my new frame. I got the measurement of 684mm from the Stans website. an extra 12mm so should sneak in. The front wheel is not an issue, just the back I need to be sure of. I've got a chance to get some Stan's rims for next to nothing.

Hmmm. I just looked into my crystal ball and saw into the future. Hardtail=29er. Trail/all mountain=650b. DH =26. Basically the more travel you have the smaller the wheel size. Smaller wheels are theoretically stronger anyway so fit the aplication well. In ten years it won't be 29 vs 26, it'll be wheelsize appropriate for what you ACTUALLY NEED!

+1

It's kinda similar with bikes. Adventure, dual-purpose, MX, cruiser...they all have genre specific wheel sizes. I wouldn't want an Adventure / Dual Purpose bike with a front wheel smaller than 21".

Hi

Am a little lost what is the story with the all the new wheel sizes

Just got my new copy of a Bike Magazine (German ) and they discussed the topic 26 , 27.5 ( 650B) 29 . so what to do now . In the article the discussed a number of issues with any of the sizes but the end of the story seemed to be that the 27.5 is the real answer the only brand which did not say something good about the 27.5 was Specialized ( nothing against Specialized )

Now the question is do you wait another 6 to 7 months and buy a 27.5 which might be the new 29 or do you buy the 29 now ….

Wind

Now the question is do you wait another 6 to 7 months and buy a 27.5 which might be the new 29 or do you buy the 29 now ….

Wind

..... or do you just get a bike, any bike and go out and ride :whistling:

Ask yourself the question of what kind of a rider you are and the type of terrain you ride, then start from there by making up your mind.

Edited by Hairy

Which brand has them ?

I am the rider who race occasionally and sees the benefit of the 29 but love the control of the 26 that is why the 27.5 makes sense for me .

If you walk in to a shop and you mention MTB they sales guys all mention 29 and nothing about anything ells

Ride in CPT all sorts of tracks

Wind