[Event] NISSAN TRAILSEEKER #3 Down & Dirty

Tim_Fair

My first 40 after always doing the 20km fun rides, and enjoyed it, except for cramping from the 30km mark :)

Otherwise the route were fun, and the bottlenecks did take some timeon the official time, but then again it is expected on such big number races. So reckon from now on it will be the 40's for me. Entered the 55km for 94.7 but worried that I might be aiming too high !!!

What was your time?

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit I am a bit surprised that not more people are commenting (griping) about the race - there were plenty that had lots to say yesterday.

Well here are my thoughts.

It could have been a nice race if not for these two points.

1. The race was over subscribed - there were too many people on the 40 and 70.

The original figure on advendurance site said - 70-800 and 40-1000 entrants.

I would like to know how many were entered at the last count - the figure I heard was 3000+ for both.

The route and water points could not handle that many people - not to mention the venue.

2. The bridge collapse.

This was perhaps to be expected with that many people - but it collapsed early in the race - by the time the B group went through there - so lets just say - it was something that happened - unexpected - no blame to anyone.

But what happened next is inexcusable - NOTHING!

Nobody did anything to prevent the ensuing bottle neck (30min+) - Should/Could the marshal not have been instructed to route people past the bottleneck on the tar to rejoin the race at the stop sign in Nalmapius?

There were some that did just this - what happens to them (they were off the course and should be DQ'ed). (BTW - I dont blame them for their actions)

But they did score about 30min on the rest that stood around to get through the river.

Edited by allobar

The total lack of respect at all the bottlenecks by people just walking or riding to the front is one of the reasons I do not do races known for bottlenecks.

Anyone know where we find results for this farce?

Who else had their balls electrocuted? The static disicharge under the power lines was rough. Some other riders also complained but I think all the metal in my body made me an ideal conductor.

Edited by An3

Howzit hubbers,

I have to say that this race was not as well organised is the previous two in the series. I started in A for the 70km.

The first bottleneck was at about 100m. That timing banner/bridge was at the wrooooooooooooong place! Sorry organisers but that was stupid. Actually, the whole start section/area of this race was terrible. The dust going down that rocky descent was horrible. It was almost impossible to gain any positions from the one's I had lost at the first bottleneck.

I was just glad to get out of there without falling of my bike!

(The race that we did at the smuts museum some years ago, now that start area was a whole lot better. 400m and we hit the first clmb! The perfect start! This year we came down that hill I think.)

The second thing, and this really p'd me off was the TV crew on the quad bikes Please can the organisers remind them that they are sharing the route with cyclists. They went past me a couple of times at very high speed! Will we wait untill they take out a rider before we do something about it? Also, the kick up a sheeeeeet load of dust. At one instance, the group I was in was going at about 30km/h +. They go screeming past, and the trail just dissapears in a cloud of dust, and we have to slow down to get out of the dust!!!

O, and why are they not wearing helmets?

Some work here for the organisers. Get the start area sorted out for Irene! (The finish area was also a slip up. The drinks table was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to close to the finish line! We started and ended with bottlenecks.)

Over and out.

Didn't enjoy the route 70km...just too much district road. Best part of my race was having a couple cold ones and spykerbombs with ubbers...nice to meet you guys Martin snyman, diver nick, johan, Joe cogs, eldron.....will post some pics tomo

Vg next, never dissapoints

Ja, yesterday's Trailseeker was definitely not the most exciting 70km I've done on my bike (and the seeding is, as usual, totally and randomly messed up in my opinion).

But, I must admit that I was silently thankful for the bit of waiting at the bottlenecks which gave the legs some necessary breathing space for that bliksem of a climb to the finish at this morning's Dome2Dome. Maar nou's ek moeg...

I asked one of the couple hundred riders who took the tar road around it (3 minutes versus 25 minutes) and they said the organiser had told them to use the road. Will certainly screw up the seedlings with riders who were half an hour behind me with 3 km to go finishing along side me.

Ahh.... so that's why when one of the Elite ladies dropped off our bunch she ended up waiting for us at the finish line. How easily do they get things wrong every time...

Eish i lost 45minutes on my official time on Yesterday's Nissan Trialseeker 3.

First the 25minutes Bottleneck 3km before the finish and 20minutes waitting to be scanned at the finish line. Photo's and Video fotage as proof to follow.

I could of had a Personal Best Time of 3h20 on my Birthday 6minutes better than the Cullinan 70km race. Now my time shows 4h04 min.

post-29598-0-93147900-1346603079.jpg

post-29598-0-27307500-1346603265.jpg

Eish i lost 45minutes on my official time on Yesterday's Nissan Trialseeker 3.

First the 25minutes Bottleneck 3km before the finish and 20minutes waitting to be scanned at the finish line. Photo's and Video fotage as proof to follow.

I could of had a Personal Best Time of 3h20 on my Birthday 6minutes better than the Cullinan 70km race. Now my time shows 4h04 min.

post-29598-0-93147900-1346603079.jpg

post-29598-0-27307500-1346603265.jpg

My time is also screwed up. Me and a friend went over the line exactly the same time but I'm 3min behind him? Not a huge problem I just curious how thats possible.

I was totally disappointed with this event. WAAAAAAAAAY too many entrants allowed - simple greediness on the part of the organisers. How on earth do you (organisers) figure that course, any mtb course, could handle those numbers???

Not having marshals to sort out the mess at the last bridge crossing was just bad on your part (organisers) We pay fees to RIDE... not walk. Some bottlenecking is expected - this is MTB after all, but having 30+ mins added to your race time due to it is totally unacceptable!

The seeding... I have no words... What is the process for this? Suck your thumbs or pull names from a hat? We, as racers, have rules we must abide by, but there is no repercussions for a lack of organisation and simple logic for organisers.

My family and I will NOT be taking part in van Gaalens. Upsets me as this is the best in the entire series, but I don't feel like my suport in these events is earned. Maybe when they sort these things out... Maybe...

BTW - the wind and those climbs at Dome2Dome were eina today - Congrats all that took part. Especially those who rode yesterday as well!

Second Nissan event I took part in and same story as all the other comments, bottlenecks were terrible, even just for our 20km fun ride

Kids doing the 10km caused a bit of congestion, being a mum myself, I would've preferred a separate kiddies race that didn't follow the same trail as the other distances.