Coffee machine

Properly old school, but at R900 there is not much to loose. Should have it by the end of the week. A project to keep my hands busy at least.

post-27175-0-57427200-1532359270_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoiled myself a bit and bought a Rancilio Silvia (and a doserless Rocky grinder) a while back. Initially stated off with a "normal" little blade grinder and quickly found out it was not capable enough... I'm quite pleased with the setup thus far, any tips/advice from other Silvia/Rocky owners? What grind setting do you normally use?

I would put a PID temp controller in that... makes a huge difference www.auberins.com have a few kits... take the most expensive one for the sylvia that has pre infusion and brew timers.

I would put a PID temp controller in that... makes a huge difference www.auberins.com have a few kits... take the most expensive one for the sylvia that has pre infusion and brew timers.

It's something I thought I would get soon after I bought mine, but with a bit of practice I don't think it's necessary, but I'm only making 2 cups at a time at most...

I understand that the PID does better temperature control but does it make that much of a difference? I've read up alot on forums and I've been quite happy with the coffee thusfar...

I might consider a PID when the unit is out of warranty (and my finances have recovered a bit).

I understand that the PID does better temperature control but does it make that much of a difference? I've read up alot on forums and I've been quite happy with the coffee thusfar...

I might consider a PID when the unit is out of warranty (and my finances have recovered a bit).

It makes a big difference if you are making multiple coffees in a row and steaming milk - much better consistency. But like I mentioned, not necessary for me at the moment, although I wouldn't say no to a PID unit if I was given one...

It's something I thought I would get soon after I bought mine, but with a bit of practice I don't think it's necessary, but I'm only making 2 cups at a time at most...

You will understand when you do it... :) I used to have a machine with a similar sized boiler (200ml) and after adding in the PID it was a lot better - surprisingly the biggest benefit was being able to raise the steam temp up a bit over the standard thermostat - gave much improved steaming - as well as the thermal stability was improved - and it's easy to play with temperature changes of 1 or 2 degrees to see if you can get flavour improvements (and you can)

Kind of a no brainer for the small machines in my opinion - they go from annoyingly unstable to fairly usable (and I am not a fan of sbdu machines) - but they still don't compare to good commercial standard machines which can steam 1 liter of milk fairly easily.

The gold standard of machines imo is being able to deliver coffee for 8 - 10 guests and have them all drinking coffee at about the same time - NEVER going to happen with a sbdu machine - take at least 35 - 45 minutes to deliver 10 cappuchino's - maybe an hour. That said it will still be tricky even with a e61 based home use machine (but possible)

You will understand when you do it... :) I used to have a machine with a similar sized boiler (200ml) and after adding in the PID it was a lot better - surprisingly the biggest benefit was being able to raise the steam temp up a bit over the standard thermostat - gave much improved steaming - as well as the thermal stability was improved - and it's easy to play with temperature changes of 1 or 2 degrees to see if you can get flavour improvements (and you can)

Kind of a no brainer for the small machines in my opinion - they go from annoyingly unstable to fairly usable (and I am not a fan of sbdu machines) - but they still don't compare to good commercial standard machines which can steam 1 liter of milk fairly easily.

The gold standard of machines imo is being able to deliver coffee for 8 - 10 guests and have them all drinking coffee at about the same time - NEVER going to happen with a sbdu machine - take at least 35 - 45 minutes to deliver 10 cappuchino's - maybe an hour. That said it will still be tricky even with a e61 based home use machine (but possible)

Thanks, I rarely make more than one cup at a time but I can definitely see the benefits in PID when higher volumes is required.

That's a really practical and interesting standard - with my Astoria CMA single group machine, I can deliver as fast as I can grind & pull the shot, interrupted by steaming & pouring. 10 cups would probably take around 20 min max.

I'll take your word for it - the machine needs to go in for a service soon, so might as well get one then.

The multiple cup thing is what I hate about the Silvia. Even making coffee for just my wife and I has us drinking at different times if we both want a double. With 3 or 4 people over I don't even give them the option of a double otherwise I would be standing by the machine for 20mins! A La Marzoccho would solve that problem.... but then I'd have alot more serious problems to worry about haha

That's a really practical and interesting standard - with my Astoria CMA single group machine, I can deliver as fast as I can grind & pull the shot, interrupted by steaming & pouring. 10 cups would probably take around 20 min max.

I usually entertain at home with about 8 - 10 people in total - so it has kind of come from that - and the frustration of being away from the group for extended periods.

I cheat a LOT when doing big numbers of coffees on my single group.... no proper doubles.... but I use a triple basket so they are about 1.3 - 1.5 singles... and I have been known to supplement this by using my super auto in parallel...

And a super fast grinder - 3.5 sec for 19g.....

The other cheat is to use a big jug for steaming - saves a lot of time if you can steam for 4+ cups at the same time - especially if you can do it while brewing at the same time (volumetrics have saved me many times... )

That said - I prefer to use the 2 group I have at the office for lots of coffee - although the grinder is a tad slower.

I'll take your word for it - the machine needs to go in for a service soon, so might as well get one then.

The multiple cup thing is what I hate about the Silvia. Even making coffee for just my wife and I has us drinking at different times if we both want a double. With 3 or 4 people over I don't even give them the option of a double otherwise I would be standing by the machine for 20mins! A La Marzoccho would solve that problem.... but then I'd have alot more serious problems to worry about haha

The auber instuments kits are so good you can easily do it yourself - easily....  good luck asking most SA coffee machine tech's to do an install... can't see that working well.

Thanks, I rarely make more than one cup at a time but I can definitely see the benefits in PID when higher volumes is required.

There are plenty of taste benefits - not just for multiple cups....

I can vouch for the La Marzoccho. Trouble free and solid as a rock, and I have the baby of the breed.

I can vouch for the La Marzoccho. Trouble free and solid as a rock, and I have the baby of the breed.

Yeah, my dream machine that - just expensive! I'm sure it's worth every cent, I just don't have enough cents hahaha