Coffee machine

will take some tonight, but well chuffed with this little purchase and considering the price...I couldnt really refuse even if its not considered a proper machine...

It took me about a week to work out what beans(http://www.stilcoffee.com/catalogue/coffee-blends/vintage-black-espresso), what grind setting(grind 12/15 ito finest being 15) and tamping pressure(as hard as I can and fill basket to the brim) to use. But now I can consistently get a awesome tasting, 24 sec shot. Oh and like I said the double walled is sommer kuk, never had any success with it.

I might play around with the grind course a bit more, but I am already at the top end ito fine but I did see a thread on another site where you can hotwire the thing to grind finer if it ever comes to that.

There is usually a grub screw in the grinder to set the high and low limit, just move it to the finer one and you should be golden.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

will take some tonight, but well chuffed with this little purchase and considering the price...I couldnt really refuse even if its not considered a proper machine...

It took me about a week to work out what beans(http://www.stilcoffee.com/catalogue/coffee-blends/vintage-black-espresso), what grind setting(grind 12/15 ito finest being 15) and tamping pressure(as hard as I can and fill basket to the brim) to use. But now I can consistently get a awesome tasting, 24 sec shot. Oh and like I said the double walled is sommer kuk, never had any success with it.

I might play around with the grind course a bit more, but I am already at the top end ito fine but I did see a thread on another site where you can hotwire the thing to grind finer if it ever comes to that.

The next step I would try is to grind a bit coarser, but use a funnel (to keep the grounds from falling out) while stirring the ground coffee inside the portafilter basket with a long needle.  This distributes the grounds more evenly which works.  You can then get away with a lighter tamp as well.

I have managed to have a fast flowing shot and a shot that almost choked with the same grind size and tamping force but with the one I stirred the grounds before tamping and the other I did not.

would like a opinion on this machine please???

http://www.boardmans.co.za/appliances/coffee-makers/dl-combi-coffee-machine-94539049.html

worth it or not?

I wouldnt...to be totally honest with you. The thing with the cheapies are they are inconsistent, so much so that 1 extract will be a thing of beauty and the next a total dogshow...and you would have no idea why. See a good shot is a combination of a few things...consistently get them right and you will have a good shot everytime. I would rather buy me a nice grinder and some good beans and look out for a aeropress. Your shots will be much easier to replicate.

What Rouxtjie said.

Rather get a grinder and do manual brew methods and save for a proper machine.

There are a few on Gumtree every so often, currently there is an oscar with a grinder for R5k ish which is an investment.

I wish I had listened in the beginning. I was advised to spend on a grinder. I chose to skimp on a grinder (bought a Krupps burr) and bought a Delonghi Icona manual machine as well. Coffee is fine (I still reckon I make a better cup than some coffee shops...) but in hindsight I should have spent it all on a grinder and bought an Aeropress. (I did end up buying an Aeropress and use that more than my machine at tge moment. Just over 700 cups on the Aeropress so far)

Spend the money on a good grinder and get an Aeropress. If that's too much hassle then get a Nespresso.

got a nespresso machine on the weekend, so far coffee from it is very nice!

any tips on which alternative pods to buy?