Coffee machine

The problem with pod/capsule machines is that the coffee inside the pods is stale by the time you use it.  Not even the best quality coffee and the best espresso machine in the world can make up for the loss of flavour when coffee goes stale.

Yea i forgot to mention the most important flaw in the pod system...

If you grind and use within a couple of seconds it makes a huge difference in the taste. Also it doesn't help if you start with stale beans, hence supermarket stock is out. Rather get your beans from a shop that roast daily

I get mine from afriblack in north deco park.... 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea i forgot to mention the most important flaw in the pod system...

If you grind and use within a couple of seconds it makes a huge difference in the taste. Also it doesn't help if you start with stale beans, hence supermarket stock is out. Rather get your beans from a shop that roast daily

I get mine from afriblack in north deco park.... 

Local roaster is the only way.  Failing that, get from an out of town roaster every two weeks and courier.  

Don't get me started on supermarket coffee.  We have friends who buy ground Illy espresso from Checkers at R95 for a 250g container, claiming that it is better than anything else. Same people moer 2 spoons of sugar into their coffee (they have to because it tastes terrible).  The effect of perceived value is big for some people.  They think because of the name it is the best, irrespective of the methods used to prepare it.

Yes, and then you get roasters selling their coffee to supermarkets. Ala Bean There in Picknpay, does not make sense at all.

So what you okes are then saying, is that, if I purchased a pod machine, I'd be viewed as a coffee philistine!

Mind you, I'll tell you a little secret, I buy ground coffee from Checkers and use it in my aeropress at work, so I suppose that already makes me one. :D

So what you okes are then saying, is that, if I purchased a pod machine, I'd be viewed as a coffee philistine!

Mind you, I'll tell you a little secret, I buy ground coffee from Checkers and use it in my aeropress at work, so I suppose that already makes me one. :D

hahahahha

No, but just saying that you can get a much better tasting coffee if you grind your own and use on demand...

Local roaster is the only way.  Failing that, get from an out of town roaster every two weeks and courier.  

Don't get me started on supermarket coffee.  We have friends who buy ground Illy espresso from Checkers at R95 for a 250g container, claiming that it is better than anything else. Same people moer 2 spoons of sugar into their coffee (they have to because it tastes terrible).  The effect of perceived value is big for some people.  They think because of the name it is the best, irrespective of the methods used to prepare it.

Can't agree more...Illy is a rip I will be honest...considering it will almost always be stale if bought at a supermarket...no matter how much they vacuum pack...

Go local roaster...cheaper, better coffee...more consistent.

Oh and if you do go local roaster...you can buy say two packets. 1 that was roasted two days ago and the other on the day of purchase...you can then use the one that has degassed for two days already when you get home and the other one will be perfect once bag one is finished ensuring that you always hitting the sweetspot ito freshness and degassing.

Cant do that at checkers.

I know this is controversial, but I buy local roaster, and pop one bag in the freezer and one in the hopper. All the research I did says that if you freeze coffee, you can't keep pulling it in and out. Once the first bag is finished, the second while bag comes out the freezer and goes in the hopper. Taste wise, I've noticed it holds freshness well this way.

I know this is controversial, but I buy local roaster, and pop one bag in the freezer and one in the hopper. All the research I did says that if you freeze coffee, you can't keep pulling it in and out. Once the first bag is finished, the second while bag comes out the freezer and goes in the hopper. Taste wise, I've noticed it holds freshness well this way.

Also heard this, but then I go through a bag to quick for freezing to be worth my while.

My standard order at afriblack is one roaster today and one roasted two days ago. 

Mind you, I'll tell you a little secret, I buy ground coffee from Checkers and use it in my aeropress at workso I suppose that already makes me one. :D

Warning points! Right there!

I use a 250gr bag of beans per week for coffee at home, what's your consumption like?

About the same, depending how much I'm at home...

So what you okes are then saying, is that, if I purchased a pod machine, I'd be a coffee philistine!

Fixed it for you - suggest you stick to Frisco... tastes about the same...

PS - I have a nespresso at work as well as a big toy - come visit and you can do a taste test..... you will see....