Coffee machine

There is a trend towards misting the beans in the hopper before grinding... like with a spray bottle... never tried it..

Me neither - dont usually have static issues on my mazzers - on occasion during winter with older beans which the wet fingers sort.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/products/severin-conical-burr-electric-coffee-grinder?variant=846589573

Read the last paragraph titled "A word on grinding for espresso"

Might come up short if you are going to be using it on a professional machine.

This would work for me than while I save for a decent grinder/machine. My machine is no where near professional/high end, it's a delonghi rebranded. Lol

This would work for me than while I save for a decent grinder/machine. My machine is no where near professional/high end, it's a delonghi rebranded. Lol

Price is up to R1299 today

Price is up to R1299 today

Thanks for the heads up yesterday. :thumbup:   Purchased one and there were only three left at the time.

Will do the job for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Rancilio Rocky @ R4300

or

Baratza Encore @ R3700

If it is for espresso, I would go for the rocky.

Dosing into an espresso basket from the encore might be a mission ( I used to use a krupps grinder that also caught the grinds in a container).

The reviews for the encore also mention that it is best suited for "occasional" espresso use... whatever that means

Anyone here have experience with bean-to-cup automatic machines?

A family member wants one and has bought a siemens eq. 8 series 600 for about R12k (on special apparently).

Seems solid, all I could say was for that money you might be able to get a Jura which is well known and seems to be well loved.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hey guys, so I have been off soul searching for some time after I have discovered how little I know about coffee.

The cause for this breakdown is a Tognana Moka Pot (induction top friendly) that I received as a wedding-gift, and yes I received it as I'm the only one who makes coffee in the house :whistling: .

Could anyone please give me some pointers? How hot should it run, how long, when do I take it off etc? Also can you suggest a coffee I should give a try in it?

Hey guys, so I have been off soul searching for some time after I have discovered how little I know about coffee.

The cause for this breakdown is a Tognana Moka Pot (induction top friendly) that I received as a wedding-gift, and yes I received it as I'm the only one who makes coffee in the house :whistling: .

Could anyone please give me some pointers? How hot should it run, how long, when do I take it off etc? Also can you suggest a coffee I should give a try in it?

https://www.yuppiechef.com/spatula/how-to-make-great-coffee-with-your-moka-pot/

that is a pretty useful how to guide explaining the few nuances of moka pots.

Try get fresh coffee that is ground medium (same grind you are likely to find in the store bought packets) but fresh coffee definitely tastes better.

Pair it with a good quality hand grinder and fresh beans to be extra cool.

I've been paying more attention to cleaning and back flushing my machine regularly after it came back from its service.

This has made my life so much easier.

It's a denture brush, and it works perfectly to clean the group head, R31 at clicks.

cbf13a41c20f21ababdc242bea19a7d5.jpg

Rancilio Rocky @ R4300

or

Baratza Encore @ R3700

Rancilio-Rocky-Espresso-Grinder-Doser-An

Baratza-Encore-Hero-600x600_1024x1024.jp

If you are making lots of filter coffee and grinding beans for use other than espresso I'd go for the Baratza - just because of how the grinds end up in the catch container.

If espresso then the Racillio. It's made to catch the coffee with a portafilter. I would however go for the doserless option - I have the doser version and it is a mess. It's a mission to get the dosing basket clean or to get the right amount of coffee ground - there is always some left in the cath container. I'm very happy with my Rocky, but will be converting it to a doserless version soon.

I've been paying more attention to cleaning and back flushing my machine regularly after it came back from its service.

It's a denture brush, and it works perfectly to clean the group head, R31 at clicks.

I saw a nifty circular device which also works well - quite pricey if I recall though. Looks almost like a plastic portafilter.

Rancillio makes a neat one with a circular brush that fits perfectly into the nooks and crannies by the group head. Comes as part of a cleaning kit which includes some descaling powder and enough backwash soap/powder etc to last a year.

https://m.yuppiechef.com/rancilio.htm?id=30163&name=Rancilio-Cleaning-Kit&PHPSESSID=kh1t57t0jh6ooadp83vob1it92

Not worth buying for just the brush, but worth it if you are in need of the rest of the bundle.

Rancillio makes a neat one with a circular brush that fits perfectly into the nooks and crannies by the group head. Comes as part of a cleaning kit which includes some descaling powder and enough backwash soap/powder etc to last a year.

https://m.yuppiechef.com/rancilio.htm?id=30163&name=Rancilio-Cleaning-Kit&PHPSESSID=kh1t57t0jh6ooadp83vob1it92

Not worth buying for just the brush, but worth it if you are in need of the rest of the bundle.

Thanks for this. I've now ordered myself a kit.

Anyone here have experience with bean-to-cup automatic machines?

A family member wants one and has bought a siemens eq. 8 series 600 for about R12k (on special apparently).

Seems solid, all I could say was for that money you might be able to get a Jura which is well known and seems to be well loved.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have a Siemens b2c machine which the soon to be ex is taking away soon - 20 000 0dd cups so far - they can be serviced at Bosch/Siemens in Midrand - I would not worry about swapping it out for a Jura.

Usually I recommend setting it as hot as possible and the grind as fine as possible as a start point - the trick is to find a good quality fresh roasted coffee that is NOT oily (makes a mess inside a SA machine) and go from there.