Coffee machine

hmm, why do you girnd the beans finer Brian?

Beans can be used for 12-14 days after roasting after which they go stale. During the two weeks after roast date you will find that your shots start flowing faster if you keep the grind size the same. For this reason I go a bit finer every two days in order to keep the flow constant. The ambient RH also has an influence on how fine you must grind.

Espresso making has tonnes of variables, and you need to keep the variables you have control over as constant as possible. Only change one thing at a time, and make a mental note of the result of said change.

Edited by Brian Fantana

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok that makes sense.

As a side note, why when I right click the pics above to do a google image search, instead of giving me the menu, it opens the pic. I am using mozilla

Ok .... so to make sure I get, let's say a 10kg force on the tamper, would it be correct for me to take the tamper and push down on a scale to get a feel for what 10kg's should "feel" like?

Ok .... so to make sure I get, let's say a 10kg force on the tamper, would it be correct for me to take the tamper and push down on a scale to get a feel for what 10kg's should "feel" like?

You can actually do your tamping on a scale of you want to until you get the feel for it.

Beans can be used for 12-14 days after roasting after which they go stale. During the two weeks after roast date you will find that your shots start flowing faster if you keep the grind size the same. For this reason I go a bit finer every two days in order to keep the flow constant. The ambient RH also has an influence on how fine you must grind.

Espresso making has tonnes of variables, and you need to keep the variables you have control over as constant as possible. Only change one thing at a time, and make a mental note of the result of said change.

I gonna start adjusting my little bean knob on my machine to grind the beans finer. Am I correct in saying the finer the beans the nicer the taste?

I gonna start adjusting my little bean knob on my machine to grind the beans finer. Am I correct in saying the finer the beans the nicer the taste?

Only if your shots are flowing too fast.  If your shot flows too fast and you adjust to a finer grind and get a 25-35 second extraction time the espresso will probably taste better.  If your shot already flows in the 25-35 second bracket and you go for a finer grind it might flow too slow and you will get over extraction which does not taste very good.  Even if my espresso pull flows fast, I just stop the pull when it starts to blond and most of the time the result is still drinkable.  If you leave past blonding you are brewing horse piss.  Like I said, lots of variables and some variables are unique to certain machines.  Learn your machine, only change one variable at a time and remember what works and what does not work.

Edited by Brian Fantana

You can actually do your tamping on a scale of you want to until you get the feel for it.

recon I have been getting decent shots before and a well tampered coffee .... but am very curious to see how the feel ties up with the 10kg spec

You should not have to tamp "moer hard" at all. Around 15 pounds of downward pressure is right.

Grind a little finer, and stir the coffee grinds with a dissecting needle or skinny chopstick/toothpick before leveling and tamping. This should improve your flow rates a bit, you are probably getting a lot of channeling, which is why it flows so fast.

Timing should be from pump on - unless you are doing a pre-infusion cycle too, in which case you time from when the main pump on happens (so ignore the pre-infusion cycle time)

Ah, but as I mentioned earlier...the built in grinder is hond at best. Its already at its finest setting so I don't really have an but to tamp moer hard. But thanks for the tips, deffos will try it. I am suspecting some channeling though as you mentioned.

Oh and yes. it does a pre-infusion cycle...so taking that out of the equition my flow time is around 19-23 seconds depending how hard I tamp...moer hard obviously giving me 24 seconds of flow.

hairy on our machines I fill the basket to the brim, actually a little "mountain" on top. Then apply force with one hand, the force is about the same as if I had to lift myself out of a chair with my one hand from a desk....if that makes sense...I got now clue about weight per square inch.

That gives me the best results and the best pour...

hairy on our machines I fill the basket to the brim, actually a little "mountain" on top. Then apply force with one hand, the force is about the same as if I had to lift myself out of a chair with my one hand from a desk....if that makes sense...I got now clue about weight per square inch.

That gives me the best results and the best pour...

.............mmm.... I think we might use different forces to get out of a chair :P

I get what you are saying, managed to get decent shots before, so will enjoy experimenting with the new machine.

.............mmm.... I think we might use different forces to get out of a chair :P

I get what you are saying, managed to get decent shots before, so will enjoy experimenting with the new machine.

heheheh sure, it was the best way I could describe the force I am using.

yep, got 2 single and 2 double wall baskets...obviously for each shot size

Did you order from au, or find locally?