Coffee machine

Thanks guys! I will pick up some Caturra and starbucks (its sold at the checkers). I did not know Douwe Egberts has beans. I use about 250g beans from monday to friday so i will try them all soon

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't if this is covered earlier in the thread but which brand do you guys rate as superioir? I am talking beans here. I like to have a freshly ground cup of coffee/espresso and i have ALLOT of them during the day.

I love the illy brand but it is rather expensive. I have been to Italy a good couple of times and must say that over there i prefer illy to allot of their other brands as well (they have a massive amount of coffee brands)

I still rate Lavazza Super Crema (the blue packet) as my favourite (and sometimes Qualita Rossa - the red packet).

Saicaf - the only choice of beans at work (beside the inhouse brand we get from time to time)

Why not try some African beans. I buy from Green Bean roasters and they sell only African beans.

The Ethiopian coffees such as Yirgachef and Harrar are fantastic. Wonderful coffee from the Gorilla Mountain Estate in Ruanda as well. Another good one is MT Elgin in Uganda. Each one has its own unique character.

Thanks guys! I will pick up some Caturra and starbucks (its sold at the checkers). I did not know Douwe Egberts has beans. I use about 250g beans from monday to friday so i will try them all soon

Don't forget to try beans from your local coffee roaster. Freshly roasted beans, less than two weeks old, will give you way better coffee than any pack of 6 week old beans that you buy from a supermarket. Many of the big brand beans are imported and probably 8 weeks old by the time it hits our shores.

Look for the long post by GBguy earlier in the thread. He explains exactly what to look for in the search of good coffee.

Thanks! Timing seems to be key as well. My Delonghi has a "special" nozzle that is supposed to help with the foam. I seem to get better results with a shorter time and more steam. Practise makes perfect they say. I see a caffeine high coming on....

Practice soes make perfect - practicing with dish soap and water and soy sauce is a LOT cheaper than using coffee (and it is eather perfect or does not work, so great for getting the 'milk' right.

Youboob has many videos on how to do this with soap and soy.

Local supermarket does not have starbucks beans but i picked up the Caturra Connoisseur. Not bad! I see they have some Lavazza espresso beans in a black pack. Looks good but rather expensive. There is a local small roaster in Paarl where i normally buy my coffee. He gets from Guatamala, Ethihopia ect. I like the organic one from Ethihopia.

Local supermarket does not have starbucks beans but i picked up the Caturra Connoisseur. Not bad! I see they have some Lavazza espresso beans in a black pack. Looks good but rather expensive. There is a local small roaster in Paarl where i normally buy my coffee. He gets from Guatamala, Ethihopia ect. I like the organic one from Ethihopia.

I dont think you will find Starbucks beans anywhere but at Checkers, at least thats my experience.

Local checkers only has the grounded starbucks for some reason

Okay, have to look around at a few I guess, the local Checkers Hyper near to me has the beans and the ground coffee, I buy both and I cant tell the difference to be honest, it also lasts up to three months if you seal it again in the foil bag and keep it in the deep freeze, then just take it out when you need it, spoon out the required amount seal again and return to the deep freeze. The coffee never freezes as some think.

I learnt that tip when I did a coffee cupping at the Douwe Egberts plant in Hungary a few years back, works fine.

But then you always have to use those pods? Effectively locked into buying that product.

you can now get re-fillable pods with a flip lid that pack with your favourite coffee (Deluxe being mine...) and wash out after. Makes the whole thing even cheaper and better.

We drink alot of coffee at work from a normal filter machine. Been trying Woolworths new flavours, hazelnut, vanilla and chocolate. PnP in the VNA has English Toffee in beans and ground if you looking for something flavoured. Not too bad imo. Still prefer my Nespresso at home like Indriya and Rosabaya. Cant wait for the limited flavours. Still have a some Crealto though. That really makes a creamy cup but like they say you must have some milk with it.

you can now get re-fillable pods with a flip lid that pack with your favourite coffee (Deluxe being mine...) and wash out after. Makes the whole thing even cheaper and better.

Is this for the Nespresso machine hellocolour?

I must say, just from this thread I have found two new sources of Generic Nespresso Pods both of which have been fine. I still think the genuine Nespresso blends are the best, but I am open to all suggestions and love trying new flavors and ideas, so the idea of sort of making my own blend with a refillable pod appeals immensely to me.

We drink alot of coffee at work from a normal filter machine. Been trying Woolworths new flavours, hazelnut, vanilla and chocolate. PnP in the VNA has English Toffee in beans and ground if you looking for something flavoured. Not too bad imo. Still prefer my Nespresso at home like Indriya and Rosabaya. Cant wait for the limited flavours. Still have a some Crealto though. That really makes a creamy cup but like they say you must have some milk with it.

I also like the Woolworths blends, but agree a steaming cup of Nespresso Rosabaya is very, very hard to beat.biggrin.png

HI, has anyone used this new coffee machine? Imported but the pods are manufactured locally, apparently they cost about R40 for 10 pods.

http://www.luxurycoffee.co.za/

Cheers,

Dont know about the machine but I have used the capsules in my Nespresso machine, the Caffelux blends are okay, but not anywhere as good as the Nespresso blends and for 10 bucks saving on 10 pods I much prefer the Nespresso's. The Vida blends are better, actually quite nice, but then again they are more expensive than the Nespresso blends.

I guess the machine is fine, it uses 19 bar pressure just like the Nespresso so you could likely use the Nespresso pods in it as well if you wanted to.

Woolies currently have espresso beans on special, R38 for 250g. I like a lot.

http://imbizo.woolworths.co.za/itb%5CProducts%5CLarge%5C6001009036230.jpg