Coffee machine

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The nesspresso machines are great if you are looking for a quick and convenient way to enjoy good coffee. For me personally though i hate the idea of being tied into them with the pods. If I had some cash to burn I would go with one of the sprada machines that do it all (+- R5000).

But at the moment this is how i do it and i love it. This my pre-gym coffee in the evening, In the morning there is an equal esspresso to milk ratio.

That little thing looks really cool! Where did you get it from and how much?!!!!

That is uber-cool. Where did you get it?

Not sure where he got it from, but Bialetti makes a similar product called the Mini Express.

Check out www.bialetti.co.za to see the different Bialetti products.

I have the Mokka Express(for camping and hiking), the Venus(for home), and plan to get the Mukka Express (for cappucino)soon.

Nespresso has a big corner shop in the Waterfront, Cape Town. That is some serious real estate. They must be doing well.

They also have George Clooney in their ads... I think they are doing VERY well. Good to know where all your money goes ;)

Not sure where he got it from, but Bialetti makes a similar product called the Mini Express.

Check out www.bialetti.co.za to see the different Bialetti products.

I have the Mokka Express(for camping and hiking), the Venus(for home), and plan to get the Mukka Express (for cappucino)soon.

Thanks for the info! :thumbup: Need to get a new mokka pot too.

The Mukka Express sounds great, but I have read a few unflattering reviews on it..

Cool, thanks for sharing. Will try to test one before I buy.

I have a Mukka Express and it works like a bomb... For the past 3 years. Make sure you clean the pot shortly after using it as the milk does block the valve if left to dry

I have a Mukka Express and it works like a bomb... For the past 3 years. Make sure you clean the pot shortly after using it as the milk does block the valve if left to dry

Good to know. No taste of burnt coffee or milk then?

True one touch operation.

Tall coffee's, espresso's, cappucino's and lattes.

All one touch, fully automatic mik foaming dispenser jobby thing.

I am in love.

post-18409-0-05748800-1336487705.jpg

I dig my nespresso, but only the black brown or purple pods. The others a bit gentle for me.

At the end of the day... would you rather have a machine that brews from a bean that YOU can grind or only be able to brew from a prepacked pod? Options or no options? Would you buy a car that could run on a fuel of your choice or one that only runs on fossil fuel... (I sound like a Santam ad)

Just found this thread... I've been a technical judge in the national barista competition for the past four years, have a ridiculously expensive espresso machine and commercial grinder at home, have visited coffee estates and roasters around the world, yadda yadda. If I had to choose between coffee and cycling, well, TG I don't have to.

First thing to know is there's a fundamental difference between espresso-based drinks (cappuccino, americano etc) and other methods that expose the coffee to boiling water or steam (plunger pot, moka pot, drip filter, Greek/Turkish...). The whole point of espresso is that hot, but not boiling, water is forced through coffee grounds. This produces a measurably different flavour profile. Don't buy an espresso machine if you prefer the taste of the other methods.

Whatever method you use, the biggest influence on taste is the freshness and roast of the bean. When the bean was roasted is much more important than where it came from (Ethiopia, Guatemala, Illy, House of Coffees...). Also, the quality of your grinder is absolutely critical - my "pro-sumer" machine was a huge disappointment until I bought a commercial grinder, but since then it's been equal to the best coffee-shop espresso.

I know people who have, and love, super-automatic espresso machines (which is what the Juras, Saecos and Nespressos are) and that's cool. But if you're thinking of dropping your hard-earned cash on one, insist on a demo, taste the coffee/s, and then take yourself off to a good coffee shop (Woolies are a good reference point for reasons I'm happy to explain) and compare.

If you're not happy with the demo, you should experiment with the AeroPress - already mentioned on the first page of this thread - and pre-ground, but freshly roasted coffee (a local roaster is best, failing which Woolies coffee shops will grind you some). It'll only cost you R350-ish, and you won't regret buying one - even if you get an espresso machine later - because you can chuck it in your suitcase when you travel. Google "AeroPress" and go through a few pages - it's really a minor revolution. It's also the cheapest way to force sub-boiling water through coffee grounds.

The other thing you should do before you decide to sell a kidney to feed your espresso habit is buy a moka pot (e.g. Bialetti). Technically it isn't espresso, but who cares - it can taste great, if you get the grind right, always fill the basket (but don't tamp) and take it off the stove before it starts sputtering. This is how countless families in France and Italy get their morning and evening fix.

But if you REALLY need espresso in your life, brace yourself for some serious spending, training and a lot of cleaning up. Or keep going to your favourite coffee shop. If there was a better way, believe me, we'd all be doing it.