SRAM vs SHIMANO

J0KER

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@zoidburg. When it comes to the type of question you are asking you are mainly only gonna get guys recommending what they are running. which is cool but it's not exactly scientific. And yes, I'm going to recommend what I'm running too.

I've always been a SRAM guy. Not because of any specific reason. I guess they have always just been on the bikes i've bought. I like the feel and look of the X0 shifters. Maybe it's just a familiarity thing.

However.

I've just bought Hope V2's from crc for my DH bike. I can honestly say they are by far the best brakes I've ever seen. let alone used. Not only were they were cheaper than the Avid Codes I was looking at they come out the factory with goodridge braided hoses.

Nowadays most items you buy look like they've come off of a nameless production line in the east. That's mainly cos they have. Hope is different. They are cnc machined in the UK. The caliper and master cylinder are cnc'd out of one billet of ali. They are polished with walnut shells. The lever reach and pad contact adjustment clicks feel like the clicks on my BOS shock. They really are a work of art.

Why have what every single one of your riding buddies have? Have something a little different. Something that looks like a man in a coat named Ken worked on. Yes I love Hope. They look amazing. The feel of them is great. And the stopping power will show up any dodgy dental work.

For you I'd recommend the M4 or X2 which are more xc and trail/freeride orientated.

Yep. HOPE sure let's you know that everything else was made by a girl in a dress named Barbie.

Guest Omega Man

Yep. HOPE sure let's you know that everything else was made by a girl in a dress named Barbie.

Haha. Yesss. Well. Mass Forged in batches of 300 000.

I promise I'm not employed by Hope. But I would not be surprised to see them on Cairoli's Motocross bike. they look totally bespoke. And..... They sponsor Guy Martin.

http://bikertube.tv/?p=651

Edited by Omega Man

What everyone forgets to mention about the 2012 XT brakes is that you MUST use the ICE-TECH Rotors + Pads with them to get the full benefit!! Or is it so obvious that it's not ever mentioned at ALL??

And the thing is that many stock bikes are sold as "Full-XT" run the RT-76 rotors and not the real deal RT-86 Ice-Technologies...

And that makes me think that a certain amount of people just rave about the XT2012 brakes because they read, heard or "tried" them without actually really having any clue about brakes in general... And I suppose that pretty much goes with what someone else already said - most people suggest what they run or "hear" about...

So how much advice stems from real experience or actual technical understanding, this is questionable or debatable...???

But yeah, in any case 2012 XT is the bomb...

Edited by TheV

Have always preferred xtr, tried sram x9 and xx and didn't like it 1 bit. Shimano all the way, even have xt on my 29er and it beats sram xx...

I have 4 bikes - all shimano. No chice in my mind XT and ultegra are the best value for money.

Agreed 100%. Shimano all the way.

Depends where you ride. If the going gets tuff SRAM. It just works. However the XT shadowline is better. XO is the business, with X9 a close second. I have just put on X9 RD and X7 levers. It is now probably the same as XT as X7 levers are not the same. But no matter what when chain starts to get warn and mud comes into it you want SRAM. However if you are a dirt roadie go for XT.

Sram!!

Running oldish XO gripshifts with X9 FD and X7 RD. My next upgrade will be to X9 Rd and later on to replace the Juicy 3's with something a bit better (I heard the SLX brakes is also da bomb)

NO PROBLEMS WITH MY GROUPO AT ALL.

When it comes to brakes Shimano wins hands down. As for the rear dérailleur it's much of a muchness and similarly with the shifters unless like me you prefer gripshifts in which case you have no choice but SRAM.

Front dérailleurs are a little more complicated, here SLX beats SRAM X7 in terms of longevity but I believe the X9 compares favorably to the XT when it comes to muddy conditions.

XO is the business, with X9 a close second.

interesting...so that begs the question.. is it worth the significant price increase to go from X9 to X0

I ride XT crank with X7 shifters and derailleurs. I think if you are not strapped for cash I would just do complete XT but otherwise its really what you can afford.

SRAM is far better at dealing with mud and the bashing that MTB is likely to produce. The shifting is far smoother than anything from shimano and instantly noticeable. However SRAM is more expensive and especially the xx group set wears out very quickly compared to xtr. I'd go x9 except for the rear dérailleur go xo. Try the elixir 9 2012 brakes, yes the previous generations were pretty bad but the new ones are way better than the xt, most of the x9 group sets downgrade the brakes to elixir 7. Still can't best the formula brakes if you can afford them though.

interesting...so that begs the question.. is it worth the significant price increase to go from X9 to X0

I'd have to say: not really. X.0 is lighter for sure, with more bling options. An LBS friend of mine held a gun to my head over a period of a few months till i caved and went from X.9 to X.0. Can't really say I feel a major difference, but it matches the overall color scheme?

One thing buot the X.9: damn that thing takes a proper beating and comes back for more. Took a really bad crash that nearly ripped my face off to destroy my first X.9. Faultless shifting when set up correctly, and it does not drift from that setting. Super reliable, super tough. Always gets my vote.

Edited by Capricorn