Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran an 11 - 42T with an XT Medium cage and the standard screw.

Did it clear... yes

Would I recommend it... no.

Why... because shifting was sluggish and got rather irritating. In fact, down-right crap!

So if you're going to do a 10sp wide range cassette (even an 11 - 40T in my opinion), and you're not running a SRAM RD, then a RAD or RADr cage is needed to provide responsive, precise shifting.

This here shows how the RAD and RADr cage better clear the sprockets by offsetting the upper pulley (which SRAM RDs already do).

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/OneUp-Components-RAD-Cage-Pulley-Wheel-posn.gif

So the RAD is a replacement cage for the xt medium cage to improve shifting and not an entire RD?

If the 40t works with the medium cage but has sluggish shifting, would the weekend warrior really notice a guge difference?

Although precise shifting is sublime,will the cost of upgrade/replacement be worth it for the average rider?

So the RAD is a replacement cage for the xt medium cage to improve shifting and not an entire RD?

If the 40t works with the medium cage but has sluggish shifting, would the weekend warrior really notice a guge difference?

Although precise shifting is sublime,will the cost of upgrade/replacement be worth it for the average rider?

Well I have put the new cassette, chain, and nw chainring... I have a medium cage xt shadow plus and I am having bugger all luck setting it up... I'm not sure if the chain is too short, or the cage is too short... I have set everything up as usual, all limit screws and b tension with barrel adjusting but cannot get it shifting properly and the chain is catching the cable clip arm ( where the wire cable it's tightened onto the derailleur)... It's a 11-42 wide range cassette with a 32 up front... I am so frustrated!!!!

Well I have put the new cassette, chain, and nw chainring... I have a medium cage xt shadow plus and I am having bugger all luck setting it up... I'm not sure if the chain is too short, or the cage is too short... I have set everything up as usual, all limit screws and b tension with barrel adjusting but cannot get it shifting properly and the chain is catching the cable clip arm ( where the wire cable it's tightened onto the derailleur)... It's a 11-42 wide range cassette with a 32 up front... I am so frustrated!!!!

Picture(s) and maybe on another thread before we hijack this one.

I also have the xt medium clutch RD and 32t upfront and was considering the wide range cassette but since you having trouble, patches comments are worth looking at.

Does it shift throught gear at all? Perhaps a longer b-tension screw is needed?

Fit a dropper and you'll have an awesome ride

I stood on it, it bent a bit, I think I am too heavy....needed to pay for a decent setup/sizing rather it seems...damn lbs!

I'm guessing that's for a Niece or a god child... Or I'm seriously out of touch! Lol

I was thinking the exact same thing...Hayley?

:lol:

No not just yet me guys, might have found a potential donor though, just need to ask him still  :P  :lol:

Edit: it is for my niece in Canada 

Edited by hayleyearth

Correct.

If you have a 10sp SLX, XT, or XTR Shadow+ RD in medium cage, then you can simply use the RAD cage. This replaces the outer part of your medium cage. One still uses the inner cage. This is the cheaper option.

If you have a Zee, Saint Shadow+ or an SLX, XT, or XTR in long cage, then you will require the RADr cage. This replaces both the inner and outer cages. This is the option I went for. I paid R700 incl. shipping from Bibi.

Is the cost worth it. Yes. I was running 34T NW up front with 11-42T at the back. XT medium cage with B-screw all the way in. It cleared the 42T, BUT shifting was extremely delayed and often one couldn't shift down into a desired gear. They would have to shift down past it then up into it. This process becomes rather annoying.

PLUS keep in mind that the chain growth of a dual suss also affects the operation of the RD. Anything more than 25mm on the standard medium cage RD with standard B-screw and you could have problems.

So yeah, I would recommend the cage.

Heck, even Shimano knew their 10sp Shadow+ system wasn't perfect for wide range, so when they went 11sp with the XT 8000, look where they shifted the upper jockey wheel to...

Off the pivot centre, like the RAD and RADr cages do

http://www.sicklines.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Shimano-XT-2016-RD-M8000-SGS_zz_zz_STD_S1_draft.jpg

Edited by patches

:lol:

No not just yet me guys, might have found a potential donor though, just need to ask him still  :P  :lol:

Edit: it is for my niece in Canada 

Come now......spill the beans.......is it Chukky ?

Correct.

If you have a 10sp SLX, XT, or XTR Shadow+ RD in medium cage, then you can simply use the RAD cage. This replaces the outer part of your medium cage. One still uses the inner cage. This is the cheaper option.

If you have a Zee, Saint Shadow+ or an SLX, XT, or XTR in long cage, then you will require the RADr cage. This replaces both the inner and outer cages. This is the option I went for. I paid R700 incl. shipping from Bibi.

Is the cost worth it. Yes. I was running 34T NW up front with 11-42T at the back. XT medium cage with B-screw all the way in. It cleared the 42T, BUT shifting was extremely delayed and often one couldn't shift down into a desired gear. They would have to shift down past it then up into it. This process becomes rather annoying.

PLUS keep in mind that the chain growth of a dual suss also affects the operation of the RD. Anything more than 25mm on the standard medium cage RD with standard B-screw and you could have problems.

So yeah, I would recommend the cage.

Heck, even Shimano knew their 10sp Shadow+ system wasn't perfect for wide range, so when they went 11sp with the XT 8000, look where they shifted the upper jockey wheel to...

Off the pivot centre, like the RAD and RADr cages do

http://www.sicklines.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Shimano-XT-2016-RD-M8000-SGS_zz_zz_STD_S1_draft.jpg

Right, the shifting down the up again to the right gear is shyte and annoying.

Makes perfect sense then to use the RAD replacent cage qhen going wide ride.

Thanks for that info as i was considering the wide range cassette as some point but now know the RD needs to change along with it.