2012 94.7

Agteros

I was battling to see anything at this point

I've got to keep my options open in case things don't work out with my gf.wink.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

calling all the brainy hubbers out there,, my time was 3;04 i weigh 100kg, if my weight was 80kg (ie i lost the extra 20kg i am carrying) approx what would my time be??

aah but how to remove the effect of all the training to rid you of that 20kg?

As proof to how easy I was taking it, checked my avg HR on the polar for the race, 75%. I'm thinking I could have cracked a sub 4.

Also thanks to the 3 VA/VB riders on their second lap that allowed us to suck their wheel on the M1

calling all the brainy hubbers out there,, my time was 3;04 i weigh 100kg, if my weight was 80kg (ie i lost the extra 20kg i am carrying) approx what would my time be??

If I recall, the rule of thumb is that your speed improves 0.8% for every 1% drop in weight.

This assumes power output remains the same (so, for arguments sake, exactly the same level of fitness and riding style).

Based on this equation, and if my crappy maths is correct:

-- 100 kg to 80 kg weight loss = 20%

-- equates to a 16% improvement in overall time...

-- which means your time goes from 3:04:00 to 2:34:34.

And if you just lost 10 kg (i.e. to 90 kg):

-- your finishing time should be around 2:49:17

I would be super happy at 2:30 !! Thanks

If you set 2:45:00 as your target for next year, your goal weight (at today's fitness level) will be 87 kg.

I preferred the 2:30 answer, you would imagine that 20 kg's would make more difference than 15 min hey??? Then the whole weight weenie argument does not make much sense

Actually 20 kg gives you a 30 min improvement - that's massive.

The weight weenie argument is still very relevant. Consider someone who is 88 kg @ 2:40:00. If they were just 3 kg lighter they would have come in around 2:35:38. In a road race that's a big time gap.

Add in longer and steeper hills, then the weight weenie argument becomes exponentially more important. 94.7 is lots of rolling rises, no long climbs. The time gaps between a 100 kg and 80 kg rider would be a lot bigger on a course with some big climbs.

Actually 20 kg gives you a 30 min improvement - that's massive.

The weight weenie argument is still very relevant. Consider someone who is 88 kg @ 2:40:00. If they were just 3 kg lighter they would have come in around 2:35:38. In a road race that's a big time gap.

Add in longer and steeper hills, then the weight weenie argument becomes exponentially more important. 94.7 is lots of rolling rises, no long climbs. The time gaps between a 100 kg and 80 kg rider would be a lot bigger on a course with some big climbs.

I am never eating again! 2:35 sounds great.

I am never eating again! 2:35 sounds great.

:)

But there's also a point where you go past your optimal weight and become underweight. When you go past that point your performance starts to back pedal.

Next year for my 11th i'm doing this biggrin.png

Did that last year and the year before - much more fun (IMO)

Serious Question:

And I want a sound, scientific answer please.

Why do the guys on the road bikes suffer up the hills, and us on the MTB's kill them?

We passed 100's of road bikes up the hills, felt like we were on EPO.

What's the explanation for this?

Forget science, refer to rule #90

Can't agree . 94.7 even with the wind is much easier .

yea also find the argus harder for some reason, vibe wise i reckon JHB has the Cape licked, but in terms of scenery, the Argus is a beautiful race!

yea also find the argus harder for some reason, vibe wise i reckon JHB has the Cape licked, but in terms of scenery, the Argus is a beautiful race!

really? I thought it was much quieter along those Joburg roads than it is at the Argus. Except for Camps Bay, where people are too cool to clap. (eerie silence over there usually...) clap.gif

I preferred the 2:30 answer, you would imagine that 20 kg's would make more difference than 15 min hey??? Then the whole weight weenie argument does not make much sense

I agree, rather get to 80 if that is a healthy weight for you. I reckon you'll have a chance to get on to the podium. You'll ride hills > 6% at more than twice the speed you're riding them now.

Was having a look at the race data on my Polar watch... and noticed the distance I covered. What are the chances..!?