2012 94.7

Agteros

It generally amuses me when I see posts from mountain bikers continuing with this strangely held belief that they are tougher than roadies and that riding a road bike is not as tough as a mtb. I generally let this drivel go, but eventually it gets irritating.

....I do believe that those MTBers among us who think that because they ride past roadies when starting in HH group, that MTBers are stronger than roadies on the road are really deluding themselves....

I said it first, don't I get a cookie or something :D

My first road race, on a road bike after riding MTB for a year (granted, I could only really be classified as an "ok" level rider) taught me a thing or 2 ... most notably was how fast you get strung along, and just how weak you are when you think you can jump out of the group at 45kph and go it alone. Bad mistake, and they made me pay for my arrogance for at least 5kms by sitting on my wheel and rotating behind me. I'll never underestimate the intensity of bunch riding again.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- In mtb you get constant little reprieves to let the legs recover. On the road, there's no letup. There's nowhere to hide. The volume dial on the pain-ometer gets dialled up and then when you don't think you can take it much more, the group dials it up another notch or two.

Which I was reminded of recently when I started to do some road work after an absence of a year or so!

I consistently finish in the lower 1/3 in mtb events, yet in road events, the few big ones I do with total road closures, I finish in the upper 1/2. What does that tell us? That's putting in max effort all the time, hardly ever stop.

Although I must say that I do enjoy mtb events more, being closure to nature, the off road aspect, technical bits, single track, but downhills more than anything else.

Here is a hint of what happens up front

That is the ultimate hardman. He can do anything! Jens and Sparticus forever.

I consistently finish in the lower 1/3 in mtb events, yet in road events, the few big ones I do with total road closures, I finish in the upper 1/2. What does that tell us? That's putting in max effort all the time, hardly ever stop.

It tells us that if you are a regular cyclist of an sort and you enter an event with 20 or 30 thousand people, at least 10 or 15 thousand of those participating are not regular cyclists and therefore you will be faster than them.

It tells us that if you are a regular cyclist of an sort and you enter an event with 20 or 30 thousand people, at least 10 or 15 thousand of those participating are not regular cyclists and therefore you will be faster than them.

I get the same kind of results at less populous events like the Fast one, Kremetart .... and I haven't even got the pack thing right.

I get the same kind of results at less populous events like the Fast one, Kremetart .... and I haven't even got the pack thing right.

You have probably got the MTB skill set less right. Either that or you really don't enjoy climbing or descending.

I have a lady friend who is really fast on the road but very slow on her MTB and it has nothing to do with her fitness or strength but her fear of going downhill.

You have probably got the MTB skill set less right. Either that or you really don't enjoy climbing or descending.

I have a lady friend who is really fast on the road but very slow on her MTB and it has nothing to do with her fitness or strength but her fear of going downhill.

No d0od - the downhills are the only time I pass anyone. And I give it horns up the hills as much as I can, love a good climb but not the bumpy technical stuff, saps your energy too much. My problem is really body weight (could shed 10kgs if I really wanted to) and possibly age although I have been in denial in that department for a while.

My thoughts are that mtb events are generally tougher that road events. Really 94.7 and Argus are 'walks in the park c.f. the likes of a Van Gaalens or Sabie marathons.

No d0od - the downhills are the only time I pass anyone. And I give it horns up the hills as much as I can, love a good climb but not the bumpy technical stuff, saps your energy too much. My problem is really body weight (could shed 10kgs if I really wanted to) and possibly age although I have been in denial in that department for a while.

My thoughts are that mtb events are generally tougher that road events. Really 94.7 and Argus are 'walks in the park c.f. the likes of a Van Gaalens or Sabie marathons.

Age means nothing! Okay so I'm with you on the denial thing...

I do the Sabie and Barberton marathons and they are very difficult endurance events but 94.7 is hard in a very different way. I finished the Magoebas 80 km in 5 hrs with much less stress than trying for a 2:55 94.7.

There's your reason: you aren't going nearly hard enough on the road if you find them a walk in the park.

If you are riding the 70 km marathons you wil find FAR less weaker riders taking part, they are often intimidated by the 70 s and ride the 40. Because its relatively easy to complete road events slowly there are much more less fit riders taking part (except Kremetart 175 or Jock).

You riding Panorama next year?