AM tyres... what you running?

patches

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm gonna pitch in here...I can't find my original thread about tyres but anyhoo..

It's that time of year and I'm back from that French place...11 solid days riding....enduro, off-piste, and bike park.....

Conditions this year were really awesome...dry most of the time, tacky after evening showers and a little mud to mix it up on one or two days but mostly the trails were in good condition partly due to trail maintenance (Avoriaz is in a battle for lift swipes with Morzine and had crews out daily fixing trails...even Les Gets had guys hoeing away at Jump Park, alas they have not done anything to the Mail Line there so it remains a bone shaking first ride!) and partly due to lower numbers....it was peak time with French DH nationals in town but still it seemed very quiet compared to the last few years.

So I had my 2017 Reign shod with new 2.6" Butchers back and front (I usually have Maxxis DHF 2.4 in front and 2.5 Wide Trail out back). I was really impressed (and hey I'm no pinner but reckon I can push G's in the berms). They ran real nice with some rolling resistant on the transitions. I was mostly running at 1.8 bar in front and 2 at the back. They clawed to the trails and had very little roll to start with. What really impressed me was the wear....the front had some wear but not noticeably so...the rear wore down the centre knobs as expected.....the most striking thing though was that the side knobs back and front showed very little wear at all...last trip on Maxxis, I tossed a new rear cause the side knobs were hanging on by mere threads.

Then on the second last day.....slow leaking rear and major roll....I did suffer a small dent in the rim but this was not where the tyre was leaking (tubeless with Stan's)....every berm became a fart fest and eventually I had to put in a tube. Looking at the tyre, I could see the threads of the sidewalls starting to sweat and there was one area against the rim that looking decidedly dodgy. A real pity because I had enjoyed them until that point....

So that's my tech report....end

Roller A grid casing between my fingers today ,,, feels paper thin  :mellow:

Seems like EXO casing would be tougher ( and Im running an eco casing tyre now and don't feel to confident about it ) 

So I'm gonna pitch in here...I can't find my original thread about tyres but anyhoo..

It's that time of year and I'm back from that French place...11 solid days riding....enduro, off-piste, and bike park.....

Conditions this year were really awesome...dry most of the time, tacky after evening showers and a little mud to mix it up on one or two days but mostly the trails were in good condition partly due to trail maintenance (Avoriaz is in a battle for lift swipes with Morzine and had crews out daily fixing trails...even Les Gets had guys hoeing away at Jump Park, alas they have not done anything to the Mail Line there so it remains a bone shaking first ride!) and partly due to lower numbers....it was peak time with French DH nationals in town but still it seemed very quiet compared to the last few years.

So I had my 2017 Reign shod with new 2.6" Butchers back and front (I usually have Maxxis DHF 2.4 in front and 2.5 Wide Trail out back). I was really impressed (and hey I'm no pinner but reckon I can push G's in the berms). They ran real nice with some rolling resistant on the transitions. I was mostly running at 1.8 bar in front and 2 at the back. They clawed to the trails and had very little roll to start with. What really impressed me was the wear....the front had some wear but not noticeably so...the rear wore down the centre knobs as expected.....the most striking thing though was that the side knobs back and front showed very little wear at all...last trip on Maxxis, I tossed a new rear cause the side knobs were hanging on by mere threads.

Then on the second last day.....slow leaking rear and major roll....I did suffer a small dent in the rim but this was not where the tyre was leaking (tubeless with Stan's)....every berm became a fart fest and eventually I had to put in a tube. Looking at the tyre, I could see the threads of the sidewalls starting to sweat and there was one area against the rim that looking decidedly dodgy. A real pity because I had enjoyed them until that point....

So that's my tech report....end

I had a similar thing to your weeping issue happen on my 2.6 Butcher also out back. What happens is side wall gets damaged when the tyre is run soft for a bit. I had to ride about 8km home on a very soft rear tyre because I'd travelled light without a pump. It wept a bit of sealant after that. However, all I did is pop more sealant in and carry on as normal. No more weeping and the tyre holds air as well as it ever did. Of course your tyre sounds as if its had a bit of a French hammering, so it may just be toast :-) 

Roller A grid casing between my fingers today ,,, feels paper thin  :mellow:

Seems like EXO casing would be tougher ( and Im running an eco casing tyre now and don't feel to confident about it ) 

Thats a bit odd. I have always thought the grid casing to be nice and strong, more so than a double down casing. 

• 3 months later...

Anyone tried the Continental Der Baron (29er) as a front tyre? Thinking of giving it a try over the Magic Mary, but it's an expensive experiment and the Mary seems like the more logical choice. Nevertheless, looking to see what the opinions are.

Anyone tried the Continental Der Baron (29er) as a front tyre? Thinking of giving it a try over the Magic Mary, but it's an expensive experiment and the Mary seems like the more logical choice. Nevertheless, looking to see what the opinions are.

They come up narrow, and I'd take the Mary ANY day of the week. 

Compound seems nice, but a mate of mine has just had to return a set as they blew completely off his rims when running them at 35PSI. 

Compound seems nice, but a mate of mine has just had to return a set as they blew completely off his rims when running them at 35PSI. 

Shot Cpt. Makes the decision a shedload easier :thumbup:

but you'd take the Mary any day of the week any day of the week anyway, even if weren't discussing tyres

but you'd take the Mary any day of the week any day of the week anyway, even if weren't discussing tyres

I like how contrary she is. 

But I still want to try the ass-guy. Minion DHF / DHR2 is also great, but the Mary always gets my vote

Haha ja, to be fair Myles, I wouldn't be surprised if you were reccommending a Mary on the Munga thread ;)

hey, hey... I told Waynemol to get a pair of Fastraks for his Open sub 8kg build. Come on... 

so who is Mary .... his new "stukkie"?

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Hairy