AM tyres... what you running?

patches

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slaughter grid in Gripton is an amazing tyre. Haven't tried the SS, but I hear they're also good.

I see a lot of love for the Slaughter but struggle to find anyone who as actually had an SS. Maybe that tells me all I need to know. :)

Both are 2.3 in 29 version but I wonder how the widths match up. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

I see a lot of love for the Slaughter but struggle to find anyone who as actually had an SS. Maybe that tells me all I need to know. :)

The SS is a lekker tyre - I liked it but it lacks straight line braking grip. I am now using an Aggressor which rolls as fast but brakes better and had decent cornering ability. I know it doesn't really answer your question - but I don't see myself buying a Minnion SS again....

As for widths - the Minnion SS, as with most Maxxis tyres don't measure as wide as claimed.

Edited by I_my_own_bike

anyone tried a hillbilly on the front ?

Looking at a spez tyre for the fornt cause no one has stock of anything else 

and it seems like they only come in 2.3 and 2.6 ( I've got a normal spacing fork  :wacko: ) 2.3 sounds too narrow and 2.6 might not clear the fork 

and it seems like they only come in 2.3 and 2.6 ( I've got a normal spacing fork :wacko: ) 2.3 sounds too narrow and 2.6 might not clear the fork

A 2.6 Spaz is more like a 2.4 in reality. No comment on the Hillbilly though.

and it seems like they only come in 2.3 and 2.6 ( I've got a normal spacing fork  :wacko: ) 2.3 sounds too narrow and 2.6 might not clear the fork 

You should be good with a 2.6" up front. I was running the 2.6" butcher on the rear of my Kona not too long ago. They aren't too wide but the volume on the 2.6" is nice. Managed to go as low as 26 psi on the rear with a rider weight of 110kg. 

Edited by Nofearnofun

Today is your lucky day!

I have ridden both the slaughter and the Minion SS. I see you are looking at the lighter EXO casing on the Minion. I wouldn't go for the EXO (Maxxis) or Control (Spez) casings on the rear if you ride rocky terrain, weigh more than 80kg, if you're a hard rider, or want to try run lower pressures.

The versions I rode were the Double down and Grid casings. Both of them were good tyres and I would use both again.

I have heard a lot of people saying that they don't have much braking grip with semi slicks but I have not had any issues on our Trail/All Mountain/#enduro trails. I am also a firm believer that the front brake is for slowing down and the rear brake is for looking cool (Business in the front, party in the back).

To choose between the two is quite tricky for me as they both have qualities that I like. As far as grip, handling and rolling resistance goes, I can't tell you that one out performs the other. Which isn't a bad thing.

There were two clear differences for me. The Slaughter had a stronger side wall, giving it a bit more support and gave the illusion of more puncture protection, allowing me to run it at about 28psi. However, the tread did wear quicker.

The Minion SS, while the tread was able to last longer, the casing felt a bit thinner and lighter which didn't offer as much support, I had to run this tyre slightly higher at 30psi which doesn't sound like much, but depending on your terrain, makes a difference in one way or another.

In the end, for our rocky Gauteng trails, I might lean towards the Slaughter for its ability to run a lower pressure and help with damping the trail noise a bit and its ability to stand up to some side wall rock scrapes.

If I were somewhere with smoother trail with more sand than rock, I might lean towards the Minion for its ability to take on a few more km in its life span.  

Edited by Nofearnofun

I am also a firm believer that the front brake is for slowing down and the rear brake is for looking cool (Business in the front, party in the back).

Great feedback. I've had a Slaughter before and ran it at 20psi without a worry and also never had issues with braking or hooking up grip once you start to corner. Also rode it all year around and it did drift like a tokyo teenager when hitting wet grass, roots and others but it that was great fun and predictable. Like being a kid again and pulling skids. Grid is the way to go, not for the protection but I liked the support of the side wall which is one of the best I've had. I've very little knowledge on the SS but the last Minion DHF exo I had was surprisingly floppy and ended up running higher pressures than I like. I think I'll give the Slaughter another go. Thank you everyone.  

Raydek runs one on the front of his Reign. LOVES it. 

Today is your lucky day!

I have ridden both the slaughter and the Minion SS. I see you are looking at the lighter EXO casing on the Minion. I wouldn't go for the EXO (Maxxis) or Control (Spez) casings on the rear if you ride rocky terrain, weigh more than 80kg, if you're a hard rider, or want to try run lower pressures.

The versions I rode were the Double down and Grid casings. Both of them were good tyres and I would use both again.

I have heard a lot of people saying that they don't have much braking grip with semi slicks but I have not had any issues on our Trail/All Mountain/#enduro trails. I am also a firm believer that the front brake is for slowing down and the rear brake is for looking cool (Business in the front, party in the back).

To choose between the two is quite tricky for me as they both have qualities that I like. As far as grip, handling and rolling resistance goes, I can't tell you that one out performs the other. Which isn't a bad thing.

There were two clear differences for me. The Slaughter had a stronger side wall, giving it a bit more support and gave the illusion of more puncture protection, allowing me to run it at about 28psi. However, the tread did wear quicker.

The Minion SS, while the tread was able to last longer, the casing felt a bit thinner and lighter which didn't offer as much support, I had to run this tyre slightly higher at 30psi which doesn't sound like much, but depending on your terrain, makes a difference in one way or another.

In the end, for our rocky Gauteng trails, I might lean towards the Slaughter for its ability to run a lower pressure and help with damping the trail noise a bit and its ability to stand up to some side wall rock scrapes.

If I were somewhere with smoother trail with more sand than rock, I might lean towards the Minion for its ability to take on a few more km in its life span.  

Which SS? I see there's a 2.5WT version now. Most comments I've seen on the 2.3 SS suggested they're not suited to wider rims which squares off the tread area bringing the side knobs into contact on straight lines.

Which SS? I see there's a 2.5WT version now. Most comments I've seen on the 2.3 SS suggested they're not suited to wider rims which squares off the tread area bringing the side knobs into contact on straight lines.

2.3" on 29mm internal rims. No problems were had.

I'd assume the 2.5"WT will have a nicer volume allowing one to run a slightly lower pressure. 

I run the 2.3 SS on 30mm internal rims and similarly haven't noticed any significant squaring off of the side nobs

I run the 2.3 SS on 30mm internal rims and similarly haven't noticed any significant squaring off of the side nobs

Is it bad that I've never even bothered to see if my side nobs are squared off? 

Is it bad that I've never even bothered to see if my side nobs are squared off? 

Well if you're running semi-slicks for less rolling resistance, then yes, because it defeats the whole purpose of having side knobs on the contact patch.

Well if you're running semi-slicks for less rolling resistance, then yes, because it defeats the whole purpose of having side knobs on the contact patch.

Check my knobs and my knobs are good.  :thumbup: