AM tyres... what you running?

patches

My new butcher 2.6 seems to be pretty slow rolling... or it could be just be my legs. 

Funny I haven't really found that on my Enduro but its the only tyre I've used so far. Seems to be quite a versatile tyre. I have learned to trust it more and the bike geo does demand a more over the front riding style which helps a lot. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny I haven't really found that on my Enduro but its the only tyre I've used so far. Seems to be quite a versatile tyre. I have learned to trust it more and the bike geo does demand a more over the front riding style which helps a lot. 

So what you're saying... it's my legs.  :(

Ha ha no...actually that it may well be a bit of a drag but I can't tell because I don't know any better.

Feel better?

Give these a spin, they may be more forgiving on your legs?

And you can get them in 2.1" too!

cross-mark-bicycle-Tire-26-2-1-27-5-1-95

Ha ha no...actually that it may well be a bit of a drag but I can't tell because I don't know any better.

Feel better?

jeez, now you're calling me fat?!?! 

Now that is just cruel... do they come in 29'rs? ;)

you're balls growing now with that HT.

A little feed back on the 2.8 and 2.6 Spaz Butcher. I have had the 2.8 on the front and 2.6 on the rear for about 60km.

The rolling resistance of the 2.6 on the back is fine while climbing and descending but trying to hold a certain speed on flat jeep track is proving annoying. I weigh 110kg's (in my birthday suit) so probably looking at 130kg's with kit and bike. I have been able to run the lowest pressures yet with these tyres with the rear tyre at 28psi. Previously with the 2.3" Butcher and Slaughter I wasn't able to go below 32psi or I'd destroy rims and tyres. For those that know the terrain at Hakahana, Helderkruin and Harties, these low pressures (with my weight) should impress you...

The 2.8 seems to roll faster than the 2.6, I think the reason for this is because while the 2.8 and 2.6 do share a tread pattern, the tread profile is not the same. The 2.8 appears to have a bigger yet shallower tread profile to the 2.6 which I assume has lead to my assumption... I have been playing around between 22 and 24psi.

Both tyres are mounted to 29mm internal width rims.

When it is time to replace, probably within the next 200-300km in the case of the rear tyre, I will probably ditch the 2.8 for the 2.6 up front just to compare the characteristics between the two, and give the Slaughter 2.6 a go instead of the Butcher on the rear. I might even give the 2.8 Butcher a try on the rear as I'd hate to not use a tyre to it's death.  

I keep checking my Butchers, but even the rear one is holding up pretty well. I have been behaving myself with only the odd skid so that's probably helping. 

I am about to try a Rock Razor up front on my HT in an attempt to reduce the drag. No test rides yet, but I think it will be an easier pedal than before. Now looking for something tough but slightly less heavy than the super gravity version on the back.

I've switched out on the rear from a 2.6 Racing Ralph to a 2.6 Rock Razor, and there is a very big difference in speed and cornering grip. Those big side knobs do grip like crazy, and the tyres are slightly more quiet than the RR's, so I am not checking if a truck is coming past me.

I did notice though that sliding the rear of the bike around corners is not exactly that easy with the Rock Razor, in the case where it is leaned over it does grips substantially more than any Racing Ralph.

On the front I am still on a Nobby Nic, which I have found more general purpose and faster than the Magic Mary. It is also a 2.6, I tried the 2.8 but it felt a bit too sketchy when pressures were low. I’d comfortably state the reason why the 2.8’s felt more sketchy; was because at low pressures the 30mm rim was not sufficiently supporting the tyre and therefore I started to experience tyre squirm as the tyre was rolling laterally. I managed to completely reduce the squirm by increasing pressure. But at the higher pressure I found that the tyre was not conforming that well to the trail and with certain impacts it was rebounding too fast from the surface and it was not absorbing the shock. The 2.6 carcass on the other hand is perfectly supported by the 30mm RF ARC’s and at low pressure I experienced now lateral rolling of the tyre. I do believe that by fitting 2.8’s on 35mm rims the issue I had of tyre roll would not be of any consequence.

All of them are the "new" SpeedGrip Addix (blue stripe) compound with Snake Skin sidewalls. I am considering the orange stripe Soft Addix for the next rear Rock Razor....

If you do not mind the "old" compound, Evobikes recently had Rock Razors at really reasonable prices.

Edited by Traveler

"The 2.8 seems to roll faster than the 2.6, I think the reason for this is because while the 2.8 and 2.6 do share a tread pattern, the tread profile is not the same. The 2.8 appears to have a bigger yet shallower tread profile to the 2.6 which I assume has lead to my assumption... I have been playing around between 22 and 24psi."

You will also find that where the tyre is used plays a role - especially with our perception of whats slow rolling and what isn't. If your front is lightly loaded (as it usually is) almost any tyre will feel ok there. Not so at the back, which is carrying more of the riders mass... That said, Bikeradar did a test on XC tyres and found the fatter the tyre the quicker it rolled.

I have found a MM fine on a dual sus bike but paired with my HT and carrying more weight as the fork compresses and my weight moves over the front wheel, it feels like heavy going...

"The 2.8 seems to roll faster than the 2.6, I think the reason for this is because while the 2.8 and 2.6 do share a tread pattern, the tread profile is not the same. The 2.8 appears to have a bigger yet shallower tread profile to the 2.6 which I assume has lead to my assumption... I have been playing around between 22 and 24psi."

You will also find that where the tyre is used plays a role - especially with our perception of whats slow rolling and what isn't. If your front is lightly loaded (as it usually is) almost any tyre will feel ok there. Not so at the back, which is carrying more of the riders mass... That said, Bikeradar did a test on XC tyres and found the fatter the tyre the quicker it rolled.

I have found a MM fine on a dual sus bike but paired with my HT and carrying more weight as the fork compresses and my weight moves over the front wheel, it feels like heavy going...

Looking at your response to Nofearnofun above, I’d like to apply it to my own experience. I might even have read the same article you are referring to, but they also speculated that there was a point of diminishing returns where your contact patch width will overcome the benefit of a longer footprint; because remember that a larger tyre does not just have a wider footprint, it also has a longer footprint, and there is a ratio where the benefit of the length is overcome by the friction of the width.

My experience of an increase in speed since fitting the Rock Razor was not based purely on the sensation of speed (or lack of fatigue), but based upon riding times and average speeds. Since I’ve fitted the Rock Razor, I’ve smashed a couple of PB’s and even got a Top10 KOM on Strava.

On routes/trails where braking is not a life or death situation I’d even consider a Rock Razor on the front also, but it will have to be the Soft Addix. It is way too easy to drag wheels with proper brakes.

If there is a tyre which I’d rate as the undisputed tyre that you can lock and drag the easiest for the longest distance it is the Maxxis Ikon…. I’ve not been able to scare myself that much due to a lack of grip with any MTB tyre.  

• 1 month later...

It appears that with the evolution of AM riding the hoops have gotten wider making the tyre sizes go bigger and bigger and we're not even talking about plus size tyres anymore... 2.6-2.8 is like the new standard.

Before embarking to Lesotho for the kingdom enduro I was left in a predicament, (huge maxxis fan) I couldn't get my trusty minions in the size I wanted, no one had stock... so I did my usual online homework and couldn't find them anywhere. It would appear that maxxis only goes to 2.3 then there after it's their "special wide trails version (once again the industry pushing riders to buy into the latest tech)

I then got hold of Brenton from trailtech and he hooked me up with some e-thirteen 2.35 rubber... here is my quick review (remember big maxxis fan)

Fitting the tyres is easy...like really easy... you don't even need a compressor to mount them to the hoop.

Weight, they're not the lightest but they roll beautifully.

They look "moto" and they stick like poo on a catippilar boot. Out the box for the first couple rides they're almost too grippy but as they wear in they get better and better really inspiring confidence not like the minions are by any means any less grippy however there's a section of the minion between the side knobs and centre knobs (No man's land) that is not for everyone as it forces the rider to commit to the corner and rail hard otherwise you're buying real estate. (Those of us who love minion know what I mean... that brief moment when leaning the bike over you drift into the berm before the side knobs tear into the earth causing near cardiac arrest )

In short if you are looking to buy some new rubber but not looking to beef up your hoops look no further the e-thirteen. Just get in touch with BIBI here on the hub.

It appears that with the evolution of AM riding the hoops have gotten wider making the tyre sizes go bigger and bigger and we're not even talking about plus size tyres anymore... 2.6-2.8 is like the new standard.

Before embarking to Lesotho for the kingdom enduro I was left in a predicament, (huge maxxis fan) I couldn't get my trusty minions in the size I wanted, no one had stock... so I did my usual online homework and couldn't find them anywhere. It would appear that maxxis only goes to 2.3 then there after it's their "special wide trails version (once again the industry pushing riders to buy into the latest tech)

I then got hold of Brenton from trailtech and he hooked me up with some e-thirteen 2.35 rubber... here is my quick review (remember big maxxis fan)

Fitting the tyres is easy...like really easy... you don't even need a compressor to mount them to the hoop.

They look "moto" and they stick like poo on a catippilar boot. Out the box for the first couple rides they're almost too grippy but as they wear in they get better and better really inspiring confidence not like the minions are by any means any less grippy however there's a section of the minion between the side knobs and centre knobs (No man's land) that is not for everyone as it forces the rider to commit to the corner and rail hard otherwise you're buying real estate. (Those of us who love minion know what I mean... that brief moment when leaning the bike over you drift into the berm before the side knobs tear into the earth causing near cardiac arrest )

In short if you are looking to buy some new rubber but not looking to beef up your hoops look no further the e-thirteen. Just get in touch with BIBI here on the hub.

Specialized Butcher Butcher also has that no man's land. Frightening if you are not expecting it ESP if you are using it front and back. The next wheeset I'm ordering E13 with their tyres for my 27.5 build. Was doubtful but thanks for your post I'm looking forward to try them out.

The Magic Mary is exactly as you describe the e13 to be. Grips like snot. Rolls relatively well. Grips like snot.

everything you said about that E13 is true. but i think you've been holding back something special too.. :P

rolling resistance.

<insertblushinducingexpletiveshere>