AM tyres... what you running?

patches

High :whistling:

Quite fast for the amount of grip they have. One of the best balanced tyres I've ridden. Light enough, tough (never had a puncture in 18 months on them), rolls fast and wear rate is very good.

Schwalbe's are lighter, but they wear fast and are expensive.

So they roll faster than the Nevegals then?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem I have with the Nevegals are that the sidewalls fold under extreme cornering. Sometimes feels like the back is riding next to the bike... not confidence inspiring.. but that said I managed to shave off another side knob on Friday! :) Won't be getting another Neve, sad really coz they have been my go-to rubber for 5 years!.

Front is Maxxis Minion Stick-e (loving them, wow!) but need a new player for the back with a dual ply side wall and low rolling resistance with cornering bite.. may have my answer by the end of this thread?

I have the Mountain King II 2.4 UST on the front and I believe the cornering ability is much better than the previous mountain kings.

The question I have though, on the back I have the previous mountain king 2.2 UST.

Is it just me, or does the 2,2 come in a bit small?

Looks more like a 2.0 or 2.1.

So they roll faster than the Nevegals then?

MUCH faster and somehow they manage to at worse equal them on grip. I find them more predictable when drifting

Problem I have with the Nevegals are that the sidewalls fold under extreme cornering. Sometimes feels like the back is riding next to the bike... not confidence inspiring.. but that said I managed to shave off another side knob on Friday! :) Won't be getting another Neve, sad really coz they have been my go-to rubber for 5 years!.

Front is Maxxis Minion Stick-e (loving them, wow!) but need a new player for the back with a dual ply side wall and low rolling resistance with cornering bite.. may have my answer by the end of this thread?

Nevegals do suffer from sidewall squirm when pushed hard. Only way to counter that is to run them harder, but that doesn't work for me.. Tried Minion /High Roller combo, but I'm not a fan of the non-DH Minion's. Find their break-away unpredictable.

Is it just me, or does the 2,2 come in a bit small?

Yip. Difficult to say who's running big or small these days as most of them differ. Maxxis are quite narrow too. My 2.35 Hans Dampf is a bit wider than my 2.5 High Roller!

How are the Michelin wild gripr 2.25 tyres? Any experience with them?

Difficult to find is what they are!

Yip. Difficult to say who's running big or small these days as most of them differ. Maxxis are quite narrow too. My 2.35 Hans Dampf is a bit wider than my 2.5 High Roller!

Ha! I knew it! I also had a 2.5 High Roller and at the time I also schemed it was a narrow for a 2.5.

But now for the real question. For example: Is a tyre lke the Rubber Queen 2.4 larger than the Mountain King 2.4 as it gets seen as a high volume tyre?

I haven't seen this mentioned here so let me throw another tyre into the mix:

Maxxis ADvantage.

I'm running these front and back at the moment and they're pretty impressive, although I miss the speed of the Ardents.

Pro's:

Huge volume means your bike is almost a 650b. The cusioning is nice too if you're on a hardtail.

Tons of cornering grip, although the lack of a row of transition knobs means you gotta commit and lean the bike hard. But when you do, they just keep gripping.

They also have amazing uphill and braking traction. I'd say they're atleast the same as Nevegals but much faster rolling.

I've tried them in mud, soft sand, loose over hardpack, rocks and leaf strewn hardpack and they work well on all of it. In fact I have yet to find a surface that they don't work on.

Con's:

Rolling resistance is much less than Ardents, but much better than Nevegals. Some say they're faster than High Rollers, though I'm not too sure.

All the rubber makes them rather heavy.

Here's a pic. Don't they look awesome, by the way?

http://www.rushcycles.co.uk/smsimg/19/3729-9732-main-maxxis_advantage-19.jpg

Edited by Corvus

I haven't seen this mentioned here so let me throw another tyre into the mix:

Maxxis ADvantage.

I'm running these front and back at the moment and they're pretty impressive, although I miss the speed of the Ardents.

Pro's:

Huge volume means your bike is almost a 650b. The cusioning is nice too if you're on a hardtail.

Tons of cornering grip, although the lack of a row of transition knobs means you gotta commit and lean the bike hard. But when you do, they just keep gripping.

They also have amazing uphill and braking traction. I'd say they're atleast the same as Nevegals but much faster rolling.

I've tried them in mud, soft sand, loose over hardpack, rocks and leaf strewn hardpack and they work well on all of it. In fact I have yet to find a surface that they don't work on.

Con's:

Rolling resistance is much less than Ardents, but much better than Nevegals. Some say they're faster than High Rollers, though I'm not too sure.

All the rubber makes them rather heavy.

Here's a pic. Don't they look awesome, by the way?

http://www.rushcycles.co.uk/smsimg/19/3729-9732-main-maxxis_advantage-19.jpg

+1, I'm running the 2.25 advantage (rear) paired up with a 2.35 minion (front)

Edited by mad bout mtb

High :whistling:

Quite fast for the amount of grip they have. One of the best balanced tyres I've ridden. Light enough, tough (never had a puncture in 18 months on them), rolls fast and wear rate is very good.

Schwalbe's are lighter, but they wear fast and are expensive.

Maxxis Holy Rollers 2.35 LUST

I have them on the Orange beast and really like them. Grip well, roll fast and can be sealed with a footpump!

Problem I have with the Nevegals are that the sidewalls fold under extreme cornering. Sometimes feels like the back is riding next to the bike... not confidence inspiring.. but that said I managed to shave off another side knob on Friday! :) Won't be getting another Neve, sad really coz they have been my go-to rubber for 5 years!. Front is Maxxis Minion Stick-e (loving them, wow!) but need a new player for the back with a dual ply side wall and low rolling resistance with cornering bite.. may have my answer by the end of this thread?

I'll +1 for the Minion DHF, they don't come tubeless but it performs on an entirely new level ("next level @#$%!") Even if your skeptical, i recommend you experiment. Meh for tubeless too, you should think outside your box ;-)

Edited by Carrot

Maxxis Holy Rollers 2.35 LUST

I have them on the Orange beast and really like them. Grip well, roll fast and can be sealed with a footpump!

You mean High rollers

MUCH faster and somehow they manage to at worse equal them on grip. I find them more predictable when drifting

Nevegals do suffer from sidewall squirm when pushed hard. Only way to counter that is to run them harder, but that doesn't work for me.. Tried Minion /High Roller combo, but I'm not a fan of the non-DH Minion's. Find their break-away unpredictable.

Difficult to find is what they are!

Reason I'm asking is CRC is running a special on them at the moment...

Currently I'm running High Roller front and Minion rear, both 2.35. Time has come to replace the rear tyre.

Edited by whistler

Reason I'm asking is CRC is running a special on them at the moment...

Currently I'm running High Roller front and Minion rear, both 2.35. Time has come to replace the rear tyre.

Which Minion are you running? DHF or DHR?

Because if it's a DHF, then put that on the front and your High Roller on the rear. Will work way better ;)

I'll +1 for the Minion DHF, they don't come tubeless but it performs on an entirely new level ("next level @#$%!") Even if your skeptical, i recommend you experiment. Meh for tubeless too, you should think outside your box ;-)

Yeah these are really good and grippy but also quite heavy. Im using the 2.35 stick-e with tubeless rims. For me they work very well as tubeless tyre even though they are not marked as tubeless. Just fill up with sealant and inflate and it will click onto the rim. Actually Ive found that the tyre manages to hold air even without sealant.

Which Minion are you running? DHF or DHR?

Because if it's a DHF, then put that on the front and your High Roller on the rear. Will work way better ;)

It's a DHR. But thanks anyway :thumbup:

Guess I can buy a new minion DHF and run the high roller on the rear.

Edited by whistler