AM tyres... what you running?

patches

I'll +1 for the Minion DHF, they don't come tubeless but it performs on an entirely new level ("next level @#$%!") Even if your skeptical, i recommend you experiment. Meh for tubeless too, you should think outside your box ;-)

Ask and ye shall receive ;)

It's a DHR. But thanks anyway :thumbup:

Guess I can buy a new minion DHF and run the high roller on the rear.

good call!

The Minion DHF is a way better tread design... even as a rear tyre. In fact, I have it on good authority that it is the DH tyre of choice for many WC riders... and lots of them ride Minion DHFs front and rear.

In fact I've got 2 brand new Minion DHF 2.7s sitting in the garage waiting to go on my DH bike for France :D

...although they wear quite quick on the rear so it may be a costly combo for us non-sponsored riders :blush: ... Minion DHF front, High Roller rear is the longer lasting option

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't duties on tyres from CRC massive?

nope! Tyres count as parts and therefore only get VAT, not duty.

But I did some windowshopping yesterday and buycycle.co.za is selling the MK II Protections and X-king protections for less than landed CRC price... so I may go local.

My minions I bought from CRC though. No duty :thumbup:

I haven't seen this mentioned here so let me throw another tyre into the mix:

Maxxis ADvantage.

I'm running these front and back at the moment and they're pretty impressive, although I miss the speed of the Ardents.

Pro's:

Huge volume means your bike is almost a 650b. The cusioning is nice too if you're on a hardtail.

Tons of cornering grip, although the lack of a row of transition knobs means you gotta commit and lean the bike hard. But when you do, they just keep gripping.

They also have amazing uphill and braking traction. I'd say they're atleast the same as Nevegals but much faster rolling.

I've tried them in mud, soft sand, loose over hardpack, rocks and leaf strewn hardpack and they work well on all of it. In fact I have yet to find a surface that they don't work on.

Con's:

Rolling resistance is much less than Ardents, but much better than Nevegals. Some say they're faster than High Rollers, though I'm not too sure.

All the rubber makes them rather heavy.

Here's a pic. Don't they look awesome, by the way?

http://www.rushcycles.co.uk/smsimg/19/3729-9732-main-maxxis_advantage-19.jpg

You may well be onto something here.

I had these before in 2.1" on both the front and back. As you say they roll really well and once you lean them they grip like a monkey.

At the right pressure these takkies will claw it's way up just about any technical single track climb and they have really great feel/feedback.

They served me well on anything from a good old trail ride to a 24hr event.

I did eventually run the 2.1" at the back and then used a 2.25" Ardent on the front, somehow this combo worked really well for me.

I recon the next set of tyres for the Shova will be a 2.25" or 2.35" (which ever I can find) Ardent on the front and a 2.25" Advantage on the rear ...... both in L.U.S.T formats please. Now just to try and find this in CT!

good call!

The Minion DHF is a way better tread design... even as a rear tyre. In fact, I have it on good authority that it is the DH tyre of choice for many WC riders... and lots of them ride Minion DHFs front and rear.

In fact I've got 2 brand new Minion DHF 2.7s sitting in the garage waiting to go on my DH bike for France :D

...although they wear quite quick on the rear so it may be a costly combo for us non-sponsored riders :blush: ... Minion DHF front, High Roller rear is the longer lasting option

Bloody hell .... 2.7", did you steal those off a motorbike?

Bloody hell .... 2.7", did you steal those off a motorbike?

hahaha! A Minion 2.7 is actually quite narrow. It's about the same as a Kenda Blue Groove 2.5.

That's the 2.5 - AFAIK the 2.35 doesn't come in UST. BUT apparently you can run it tjoopless without hassles?

aaah! it's specifics you want... well then yeah... for 2.35's a foldable will have to do. I used to run 2.35 minions on my Yeti AS-X... and they looked skinnier than the tyres on a Game bike. So even for AM purposes I'd probably go with the 2.5's ;)

How will the std 2.5" casing hold out as a Tubless conversion .... I rather like the rigidity offered by a UST or LUST type side wall.

aaah! it's specifics you want... well then yeah... for 2.35's a foldable will have to do. I used to run 2.35 minions on my Yeti AS-X... and they looked skinnier than the tyres on a Game bike. So even for AM purposes I'd probably go with the 2.5's ;)

that 2.5 UST is just MOER heavy. That's why I got rid of the High Rollers I had (2.5 UST)! But to be fair, I should have tried them for a bit longer...

Edited by the_wes

good call!

Nice! Enjoy France!

• 3 weeks later...

saw this on PB

Continental Rubber Queen 2.2 UST Black Chili

And the prize for the longest tyre name goes to...

One of Continental's All-Mountain tyres, the Continental Rubber Queen seen here is a 2.2" and 820g UST offering that aims to be a true all-rounder. They feature a directional pattern which you run in reverse on the rear to gain maximum traction on the climbs while retaining maximum braking at the front. Unlike some directional tyres the ramping is minimal and the difference in traction is barely noticeable which was accidentally discovered when we mounted the rear the wrong way round after a spell of running cut spikes. In fact, it only once became noticeable on a particularly greasy climb. When it comes to sizing, Continental tyres tend to be realistic which means that they sometimes come up bigger than equivalent offerings from other brands. In this regard the Rubber Queen is no exception and we found it almost comparable to a 2.35" Maxxis. That said it's mainly in the volume for the tread is actually a hair's breadth narrower than the casing when fitted to a 23mm ID rim. What this means is that on rocky and rough, rooty trails you're able to gain maximum traction by running lower pressures. The downside though is that it can sometimes float a little on deeper mud (and by deep, we mean deep peaty trails). This trait’s perhaps more noticeable than with some tyres because it performs so impressively everywhere else. MSRP: £50 ($75 USD)

Conti Tyres

Pinkbike's Take:

http://as1.pinkbike.org/206/sprt/i/bigquotes.png Continental has really hit the nail on the head with the Rubber Queen as an all-round tyre. Where normally all round means jack of all trades master of none, the Rubber Queen stands out as a really capable item. The biggest highlight of the Continental range has to be the Black Chili rubber compound, which seems to be the perfect marrying of grip, toughness and longevity. This is actually our second pair of Rubber Queens, the first set being non-UST and lasting nearly 1600km of rocky and tough riding, the sidewall of the front tyre being a bigger clue to its use than tread wear. The UST tubeless versions show no sign of being any different. Getting them seated on our Deemax wheels proved painless and the slightly toughened casing (over non-UST) has so far shrugged off any punctures, despite best efforts on rocky trails. Grip is high and predictable on a wide range of surfaces, yet the Rubber Queen also produces minimal drag, competing on an equal footing with the hard=compound Larssen on hard pack yet producing the grip of a far more aggressive tyre when the trail becomes tougher. Traction on slippery pine roots is hugely impressive, while wet rocks and off camber sections pose no problem. The edge blocks occasionally feel a little small, especially on greasy hardpack where they struggle to bite, but the breakaway is so progressive that the tyre literally begs you to rag it around on the edge. At £50 ($75 USD) an end, there is no way they can be considered a cheap tyre, but given the seriously impressive durability and performance on offer, Rubber Queen tyres certainly offer a very tantalising deal and should be high on your list if you're after a single set of tyres for all occasions. - Alasdair

saw this on PB

Continental Rubber Queen 2.2 UST Black Chili

And the prize for the longest tyre name goes to...

One of Continental's All-Mountain tyres, the Continental Rubber Queen seen here is a 2.2" and 820g UST offering that aims to be a true all-rounder. They feature a directional pattern which you run in reverse on the rear to gain maximum traction on the climbs while retaining maximum braking at the front. Unlike some directional tyres the ramping is minimal and the difference in traction is barely noticeable which was accidentally discovered when we mounted the rear the wrong way round after a spell of running cut spikes. In fact, it only once became noticeable on a particularly greasy climb. When it comes to sizing, Continental tyres tend to be realistic which means that they sometimes come up bigger than equivalent offerings from other brands. In this regard the Rubber Queen is no exception and we found it almost comparable to a 2.35" Maxxis. That said it's mainly in the volume for the tread is actually a hair's breadth narrower than the casing when fitted to a 23mm ID rim. What this means is that on rocky and rough, rooty trails you're able to gain maximum traction by running lower pressures. The downside though is that it can sometimes float a little on deeper mud (and by deep, we mean deep peaty trails). This trait’s perhaps more noticeable than with some tyres because it performs so impressively everywhere else. MSRP: £50 ($75 USD)

Conti Tyres

Pinkbike's Take:

http://as1.pinkbike.org/206/sprt/i/bigquotes.png Continental has really hit the nail on the head with the Rubber Queen as an all-round tyre. Where normally all round means jack of all trades master of none, the Rubber Queen stands out as a really capable item. The biggest highlight of the Continental range has to be the Black Chili rubber compound, which seems to be the perfect marrying of grip, toughness and longevity. This is actually our second pair of Rubber Queens, the first set being non-UST and lasting nearly 1600km of rocky and tough riding, the sidewall of the front tyre being a bigger clue to its use than tread wear. The UST tubeless versions show no sign of being any different. Getting them seated on our Deemax wheels proved painless and the slightly toughened casing (over non-UST) has so far shrugged off any punctures, despite best efforts on rocky trails. Grip is high and predictable on a wide range of surfaces, yet the Rubber Queen also produces minimal drag, competing on an equal footing with the hard=compound Larssen on hard pack yet producing the grip of a far more aggressive tyre when the trail becomes tougher. Traction on slippery pine roots is hugely impressive, while wet rocks and off camber sections pose no problem. The edge blocks occasionally feel a little small, especially on greasy hardpack where they struggle to bite, but the breakaway is so progressive that the tyre literally begs you to rag it around on the edge. At £50 ($75 USD) an end, there is no way they can be considered a cheap tyre, but given the seriously impressive durability and performance on offer, Rubber Queen tyres certainly offer a very tantalising deal and should be high on your list if you're after a single set of tyres for all occasions. - Alasdair

Ordered 2 2.4's this week,will see whats up :thumbup:

• 10 months later...

What about the maxxis Ardent 2.25 or 2.4?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2109/2532161299_9360d20b72_o.jpg

@ mad about, you like that Ardent tyre? What is that 2.4?