AM tyres... what you running?

patches

WTB Bronson front and rear 2.3 - no issues to report from Hakahana (that's two Hakahana's on same tyres - no issues).

The chain coming off is another story...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTB Bronson front and rear 2.3 - no issues to report from Hakahana (that's two Hakahana's on same tyres - no issues).

You got the dual ply double thick sidewall Bronsons?

What pressures were you running and on what rims were the tyres mounted?

Just ordered new conti's - race king 2.2 and x-king 2.4, both "protection", from easybike

will provide some feedback soon.

I have this combo and it works well. I just find that the race king sidewall doesn't last as long as the tread. What I also found,  I have patches of tyre / knobblies missing from the  race king. The LBS says its from riding on the road, if it is its sucks as the road trip to the local bike park is less than 5km there and back. 

I have this combo and it works well. I just find that the race king sidewall doesn't last as long as the tread. What I also found,  I have patches of tyre / knobblies missing from the  race king. The LBS says its from riding on the road, if it is its sucks as the road trip to the local bike park is less than 5km there and back. 

I've had Conti knobblies tear off on tyres which have never seen the road. Even though I stock them I'm not a fan.

I might try the Onza Ibex as my next front tyre but the dual ply WTB Wolverines are superb on the rear in dry conditions. Still waiting for stock of the dual ply Trailboss....

Edited by Robodog

Thanks - I am hoping they will work as well as my current WTB's.

UPDATE on Easybike order:

Ordered: 06 March

Received: today, 10 March

Considering there was a weekend in between - basically 48 hours!

Great service.

Think I'm going to order a Maxxis HR II and Ardent combo from CRC sometime to keep in the cupboard. Seeing they like hens teeth in SA, especially in 26".

Otherwise anyone know of a local source at a decent price?

In 26er hopefully because they don't have any stock in 29er as I'm waiting for a replacement for my Xking that is leaking through the side walls.

Marius, I received the conti's from easybike today, so they definitely have stock in 29ers

Think I'm going to order a Maxxis HR II and Ardent combo from CRC sometime to keep in the cupboard. Seeing they like hens teeth in SA, especially in 26".

Otherwise anyone know of a local source at a decent price?

I almost pulled the trigger on that combo, opted for a super-gravity rock razor on the rear instead. Local source? :lol:

I'm looking for a replacement 26" front tire. Hopefully locally!
Currently I have

Front: Nobby Nick 2.35 (lugs are wearing and ripping up a bit, but all are still there) 

Rear: WTB Wolverine (twice at hakahana and looking great!).

Must be tubeless compatible! No conti's please, as much as I loved the grip of my X-King the side wall was like a sieve! 

This Hans Dampf seems like the obvious choice: http://www.easybike.co.za/schwalbe-hans-dampf-evo-snakeskin-trailstar-26-x-2-35-tl-easy.html

Are there other options i'm missing?

Edited by NukeproofPeanut

Currently I have

Front: Nobby Nick 2.35 (lugs are wearing and ripping up a bit, but all are still there) 

Must be tubeless compatible! No conti's please, as much as I loved the grip of my X-King the side wall was like a sieve! 

This Hans Dampf seems like the obvious choice: http://www.easybike.co.za/schwalbe-hans-dampf-evo-snakeskin-trailstar-26-x-2-35-tl-easy.html

For the front the Magic Mary in Vertstar.

For the front the Magic Mary in Vertstar.

I've read some reviews on it, and I don't think it's suitable for gauteng's dry conditions. It looks to have amazing grip, but more designed for loamy soil than our dry hard pack.

I've read some reviews on it, and I don't think it's suitable for gauteng's dry conditions. It looks to have amazing grip, but more designed for loamy soil than our dry hard pack.

New nobby. It's far better, by all accounts. And the knob ripping - not isolated to schwobble. Maxxis also have it more and more, and sooner. Maybe try a pace-star compound for your conditions?

Currently I have

Onza Ibex FR casing

OR

WTB Bronson Dual Ply casing

:thumbup:

My HD trailstar scrubs a bit when the surface gets a bit loose over hard on the twistys and I have seen some tearing on the inside of the very edge blocks - lack of support on the side of them I think - unlike the Mary which has the supported side blocks.

Still like the HD grip though - all angles of lean has treads contacting without dead spots... Keen to try a new Nobby Nick on the rear in Pace Star as Trailstar  is a bit soft

I am also a bit weary of the Mary as a Front in Gauteng with the dry, loose sandy or very hard surfaces.

I have had an old style Nobby Nic 2.25 on the back on my old bike but that felt like it was braking away here and there also. This has been addressed on the new Nic apparently.

Onza Ibex FR casing

OR

WTB Bronson Dual Ply casing

:thumbup:

My HD trailstar scrubs a bit when the surface gets a bit loose over hard on the twistys and I have seen some tearing on the inside of the very edge blocks - lack of support on the side of them I think - unlike the Mary which has the supported side blocks.

Still like the HD grip though - all angles of lean has treads contacting without dead spots... Keen to try a new Nobby Nick on the rear in Pace Star as Trailstar  is a bit soft

I am also a bit weary of the Mary as a Front in Gauteng with the dry, loose sandy or very hard surfaces.

I have had an old style Nobby Nic 2.25 on the back on my old bike but that felt like it was braking away here and there also. This has been addressed on the new Nic apparently.

Looking at the pictures of the tyres, I'm also inclined to the new Nobby and that WTB.

Like my current Nobby, the Onza looks to have a dead spot, which has cause me to wash out on two occasions so far. The all or nothing into a corner is not inspiring when you tired!

@ Robo I'm assuming you have stock of both, at the shop in 26"? Might stop by this weekend to have a closer look at them before deciding!

Edited by NukeproofPeanut