Chris Froome

Shebeen

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“I know that I’ve promised Chris (Froome) that he could have a shot at the Tour in 2013 and that I’d support him, but I think my goals are more important than his. After all, I’m higher on the seniority scale in GB Cycling and I don’t feel I’ve reached my peak yet,” continued Wiggins. “I think I have a chance at equalling a feat only done three times in Tour history, and one that hasn’t been accomplished since 1935.”

---------------

If that's true then I hope CF gets out of dodge asap. He may or may not be the finished article yet but he deserves the freedom to give it a roll next year after his sterling work in this tour.

Edited by hellocolour

That article is a possibility take by cyclismas.....not true!

Ah... noted. Cheers.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-J5fa1HVnze4/T48ex3fAH6I/AAAAAAAAEIg/8rdRGn4rRe8/s1600/facepalm.jpg

Edited by hellocolour

He ( Chris ) looked very unhappy as he rolled over the finish line. He even shook his head. On the podium Wiggo didn't look at him once, not even any kind of eye contact plus he didn't even shake his hand. He did look at Nibali and said something to him but nothing to Chris.

Ah... noted. Cheers.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-J5fa1HVnze4/T48ex3fAH6I/AAAAAAAAEIg/8rdRGn4rRe8/s1600/facepalm.jpg

Awesome face palm.

I think its Freire.

Can be used on many threads.

They won't ride the Tour together again.

My prediction is that Froome will ride Giro and Vuelta, Wiggins will defend the tour.

Froome will do Suisse and California, Wiggins the Dauphine and Romandie.

Look for a high profile acquisition of a very good climber, because Wiggins won't be able to rely on his time trial next year. Contador and Schleck can put 3 minutes into him on a hard mountain stage - imagine Wiggins isolated on the Galibier, or a multiple-climb stage ending on top of the Ventoux.

Never the twixt shall twain, dear friends.

The honeymoon is over.

I cannot wait for next year.

Methinks it will be a climber's tour.

Just the sort I like.

Think I'll book my campervan now :clap:

They won't ride the Tour together again.

My prediction is that Froome will ride Giro and Vuelta, Wiggins will defend the tour.

Froome will do Suisse and California, Wiggins the Dauphine and Romandie.

Look for a high profile acquisition of a very good climber, because Wiggins won't be able to rely on his time trial next year. Contador and Schleck can put 3 minutes into him on a hard mountain stage - imagine Wiggins isolated on the Galibier, or a multiple-climb stage ending on top of the Ventoux.

Never the twixt shall twain, dear friends.

The honeymoon is over.

I cannot wait for next year.

Methinks it will be a climber's tour.

Just the sort I like.

Think I'll book my campervan now :clap:

I must say i am also starting to think Froome sitting out could be a possibility. I can't see Wiggins wanting him in the team as a threat on a more mountainous tour, and I can't see Sky being happy for potentially one of their biggest threats to be riding against them for another team - conclusion Team Sky do to Froome (for Wiggins) what team HTC did to Greipel (for Cav)...

Hope I'm wrong, and either another teams coughs up (BIG time) to buy him out of his contract, or Wiggens and Sky give both riders equal status next yr until one or the other establishes an advantage...

Edited by dracs

It think this can arguably be summed up as something like the "big cycle-race dualism".

We are constantly told that road cycling is a “team sport” above anything else…but in it lies a difficult contradiction:

If the Bulls wins a match, the Bulls gets the credit (and even though we know that there were individual point scorers, the team’s excellence is acknowledged)

If Rafa wins a match, Rafa gets the credit (Rafa’s skill is acknowledged)

But

If Wiggins wins Le Tour, Wiggins gets the credit (and even though those of us in the know realise that he was probably not the best sportsman in the field, his individual excellence is generally acknowledged).

E.g. you will not often hear the mainstream press report that “Team Sky takes the Tour de France” or “Team MTB Qubeka takes the ARGUS”. Sure, those of us informed in the sport know that Wiggo rides for Sky but for the lay man in the street, for the tabloids and for Wikipedia the best cyclist in the 2012 Tour de France was Bradley Wiggins and that’s it. In fact, the initial News24 headline on his win does not even mention Team Sky (http://afrikaans.news24.com/Sport/AnderSport/Bradley-Wiggins-wen-Tour-de-France-20120722).

Looking beyond “team” policy, paychecks and competition agendas, I think it’s sad that in road cycling the winners are all too often not the strongest riders in races but rather those on whose chips the “team” strategy fall… Or perhaps I have somewhat of a misconstrued idea of what “team” work should be.

Ag, can we please get over this now? Do we want to back to the days when riders rode for themselves? Scrap the teams. Let the riders wrap their tubbies around their bodies. Let the only cars be commissaires.

A team rides for their appointed leader. They sacrifice themselves to get him in yellow and keep him there. Sky had a plan B in Froome, but they didn't need to use it. If he TTed better than Wiggins, and got the yellow jersey, things may have changed. He didn't. They didn't.

Move on.

Ag, can we please get over this now? Do we want to back to the days when riders rode for themselves? Scrap the teams. Let the riders wrap their tubbies around their bodies. Let the only cars be commissaires.

A team rides for their appointed leader. They sacrifice themselves to get him in yellow and keep him there. Sky had a plan B in Froome, but they didn't need to use it. If he TTed better than Wiggins, and got the yellow jersey, things may have changed. He didn't. They didn't.

Move on.

Then its not a team sport.

Let's see how Chris and the Matador kick together on the Vuelta .... ?

Don't think Brad will be there.

So?

Well, that would make 99% of the comments critical of Wiggins' win valid, considering the general "cycling is a team sport" explination for the treatment of e.g. froome in Wiggo's road to victory...

Noted Tumbles and Karoo.., it isn't officially a team sport but I reckon the TdF cannot be won without a team of hoe? Certainly the winner needs to be a great cyclist and have a great team; riders etc etc. Plus luck on his side. I reckon also that Sky took a leaf out the LA book of all for one but, as Tumbles says, with Froome as deputy sheriff and backup. You could argue that Froome was also a beneficiary of the team, keeping him out of the breeze and then placing him with Wiggins.

Froome has some tough decisions should he believe his main squeeze and become restless; many good and very good riders; not so many good teams with deep pockets; certainly not Orica from what I've heard.