Chris Froome

Shebeen

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he going to ride the Vuelta? apparently their was a Sky management meeting over that this week.

If so, hope he is still in good condition. Cant wait to see Fris Froome vs The Matador

http://cdn4.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2012/07/19/2/000_dv1216131_600.jpg

From Cyclenews

Froome resigned to his role

In a Tour de France defined by the constricting strength of a single team, perhaps it was inevitable that its greatest drama would be provided by an internecine struggle, even if it was a battle that never truly began.

On the road to Peyragudes on Thursday, Chris Froome gave another stark demonstration of his superiority over the yellow jersey Bradley Wiggins in the mountains and another overt illustration of his role within the Team Sky hierarchy.

Three kilometres from the finish, as the road reared up for the final time towards the line, Froome surged to the front, pulling Wiggins clear of his remaining rivals, and it briefly looked as though the first and second-placed riders overall would simply cruise away from the rest of the field.

Gradually, however, a gap began to yawn open between Wiggins and Froome's rear wheel. Froome looked around and checked his pace accordingly, allowing Wiggins to latch back on. The scene would repeat itself three more times before the pair reached the summit, as Froome adjusted the tautness of the invisible elastic that was keeping Wiggins in touch.

Had Froome not been forced to soft-pedal to wait for his leader, he may well have taken his second stage win of the race, for Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) held on to win by just 19 seconds over the Sky duo.

In the same mountain range where Greg Lemond was ordered to relent in favour of the maillot jaune of Bernard Hinault in 1985, however, Froome seemed a less reluctant domestique deluxe than the American had done, at least in his post-race comments.

"That was the plan today, to work for Bradley and to protect the yellow jersey," Froome said softly after reaching the summit.

While Froome has been the stronger on the climbs, his fellow countryman Wiggins will be the first to the top of the mountain to plant the flag as the first British winner of the Tour de France. If there is underlying discontent at playing Tenzing Norgay to Wiggins' Sir Edmund Hillary, the Sherpa looked to hide it at the finish.

"Everybody on the team is making a sacrifice," Froome said. "Cavendish is sacrificing every day. Everybody on the team is making a sacrifice every day for the yellow jersey. That's cycling, that's our job. We've all done our jobs."

Froome missed out on winning the 2011 Vuelta a España after Sky realised too late that he was a better option than Wiggins to do battle with Juan José Cobo. Set for another fourth Sunday on the second step of the podium, Froome was asked if he realised he might never have the chance to win the Tour again.

"Maybe, but would be a pity if it's true, but I'm 27 years old and I hope that there will be another chance in the future," he said politely, before adding: "One month before the Tour if you'd told me I'd be second with three days to go, I wouldn't have believed it, so I'm very happy with that."

"One month before the Tour if you'd told me I'd be second with three days to go, I wouldn't have believed it, so I'm very happy with that."

Well, well ,well what did I say all along.

Now would that not be jungle justice if Froome has a brilliant TT and close the gap by two minutes and Mr Super sidies wipes out somewhere and looses the odd 40 seconds.

hahahahaha there's been some changes.

I remember the Michelle and Jason days on the Hub (when it was mostly fields); nice couple, TCS etc. etc. Made a point of meeting them at a couple of races; & her mum is a top lady vet.

thanks for making that link - the penny just dropped. Pauline Cound is also head of sport at my daughter's school - didn't realsie she was the mom of the gf (for now) of a the machine know as Chris Froome!

Now would that not be jungle justice if Froome has a brilliant TT and close the gap by two minutes and Mr Super sidies wipes out somewhere and looses the odd 40 seconds.

Not going to happen.Wiggo bet his house on it!And I must admit I was not a Wiggens fan at all until the day he waited for Cadel. Wiggens - Team Sky - deserves the win.

That disappeared faster than last months pay check, was still some good reading. I sometimes miss the Team Cough Syrup threads, and Greyowl ver 6.1 and Popeye having a spat.

And who will forget the dating thread., maybe I should start a "who remembers thread"

The dating thread was classic!! Those were good times. Was a good bunch.

Tweeter Sagan@TweeterSagan

Sky very strange team. In radio Sagan overhear sometimes other director tell rider 'Push, push!' Today Mr Yates tell Mr Froome 'Mush, mush!'

:clap:

We talk plenty about Froome, but what about Wiggins winning?

I mean, how would you feel knowing that you were the winner because somebody else was held back?

I would feel like a complete d@os.

A fraud.

We talk plenty about Froome, but what about Wiggins winning?

I mean, how would you feel knowing that you were the winner because somebody else was held back?

I would feel like a complete d@os.

A fraud.

Problem is that lots of people dont think like that

What are the chances of Froome being Sky's number one next year? No doubt this years Tour de France favours good time trialists with it's two individual TTs and distinct lack of mountain top finishes, but surely an on form Froome would domiate Wiggens in a race with say three killer mountain top finishes and only 50km or so of ITT. Bring back Contador and Schleck into the picture and Sky may have no choice but to back the stronger climber?

Chris Froome couldn't win the tour, or the 'team leader role' in the mountains. that's because he lost the chance to do that on stage 1. He lost 1:25 to Wiggo due to a puncture, if he had only been 40 seconds behind in the mountains and was CLEARLY stronger, then SKY might have shifted the roles if wiggo was challenged.

With around 100 kilometers to go more & more teams pushed their way to the front and it wasn't long until we started hearing that dreaded squeal of brakes followed by the sound of bike parts sliding along the tarmac.  From then on it felt as if it was every man for themselves, no holds barred! 

from the froodedog diaries:

http://www.chris-froome.com/diary/41-diary-tdf-stage-1-pandemonium-punctures

Having survived unscathed up until 10 km's to go, I had the misfortune of puncturing as the peleton entered a fast cross tail wind section.  There couldn't have been a worse time!   My two team mates, Richie & Christian stopped & pulled me for as long as they could but riders were getting dropped out the back of the peleton at such a fast rate, which made it impossible for us to rejoin the front of the race.  

Wiggins looking to equal Bottecchia at 2013 Tour de France

by Frank Mercer on Friday, July 20th, 2012

As Team Sky helicoptered through the transfer to Bonneval after the finish of stage 18 in Brive-la-Gaillarde with another Mark Cavendish sprint victory notched up, the heir-apparent to the 2012 Tour de France victory was already making plans for 2013.

http://www.cyclismas.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Wiggo.jpeg

Wiggins has certainly enjoyed his red carpet ride around France, courtesy of Froome and the rest of Sky’s serfs (photo courtesy of ITV)

“I’ve always been someone who wishes to move on to new challenges. Now that I’ve conquered my first Tour de France it’s time to attempt a feat that has only been accomplished three times in the history of the Tour. I want to wear yellow from the prologue all the way to the Champs-Elysées next year,” declared Wiggins.

As an avid student of cycling history, Wiggins stumbled upon the legend of Ottavio Bottecchia – the first person to wear the yellow jersey from start to finish as winner of the 1924 Tour – via a conversation with famed Scottish cycling journalist, Richard Moore. Moore was turned on to the story of Bottecchia by Herbie Sykes over an espresso in 2006 during a very animated Giro d’Italia.

“I know that I’ve promised Chris (Froome) that he could have a shot at the Tour in 2013 and that I’d support him, but I think my goals are more important than his. After all, I’m higher on the seniority scale in GB Cycling and I don’t feel I’ve reached my peak yet,” continued Wiggins. “I think I have a chance at equalling a feat only done three times in Tour history, and one that hasn’t been accomplished since 1935.”

Team Sky boss David Brailsford confirmed his support for Wiggins in his plan for 2013.

“Considering that Brad and Fabian were the only two to wear the yellow jersey in the entire 2012 Tour, and the fact that we pretty much intimidated every single team in this race, it is distinctly possible that Brad could wear yellow from start to finish in 2013. No one can match our team strength on any stage on any day,” mused Brailsford.

Eurosport cycling pundit David Harmon concurred with Brailsford.

“Until the rest of the peloton grows a backbone, or Contador stays out of doping troubles, cycling is Wiggins’ domain to plunder as he wishes. He rides on the front for the sprints, and otherwise sits third wheel the entire race. He is a throwback to the great Kings and Queens of England. He truly is the king of cycling, no offense to Mark Cavendish or Sir Chris Hoy,” declared Harmon.

Former Tour de France champion Greg LeMond weighed in with his thoughts.

“Wiggins could lead the race, but only if Team Sky buys Alberto Contador’s and Andy Schleck’s contracts to sit them out of the Tour de France for the rest of their careers, or have them ride the front in support of Wiggins like they forced Froome to do this year. It’s what Hinault did, and also wanted to do to me back in the 80s,” stated LeMond.

When asked about Wiggins’ statement, Chris Froome refused to comment directly.

“We’ll start with the Vuelta and the Olympics, and see what happens from there. Anything is possible for 2013,” said a muted Froome.

Stage 19 is Saturday, which should be the 53.5 km time trial coronation of Wiggins into his role as King of the Tour de France.

http://www.magliarosa.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/bici20wiggins.jpg

I was looking for this pic the other day, I know I downloaded it but just couldn't find it anywhere :thumbdown:

Thanks for posting :clap: