Post your Pyga

PYGA1

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed, armchair engineers...got to love it. If I can afford bike 5, I would go stage max above everything else in the market right now.

Sell everything except the road bike and Single speed, and by the Stage Max! [emoji48]

agreed, armchair engineers...got to love it. If I can afford bike 5, I would go stage max above everything else in the market right now.

So does it not have brakejack?

The real question is - how serious is the brakejack?

If you sit on the bike and lock the brakes as hard as you can then yes, it will affect the suspension movement. However when in motion with the wheels turning the brake is a dynamic friction device, not a clamp bolt, and it allows movement. Also by positioning the rear pivot as close as possible to rear axle the effect of non concentric brake pad friction is minimised by weak leverage. The armchair experts on that forum are missing the significance of these last two points.

I guess this may not be the perfect bike for a rider who likes to ride with his rear wheel locked up most of the time......[emoji12]

The real question is - how serious is the brakejack?

If you sit on the bike and lock the brakes as hard as you can then yes, it will affect the suspension movement. However when in motion with the wheels turning the brake is a dynamic friction device, not a clamp bolt, and it allows movement. Also by positioning the rear pivot as close as possible to rear axle the effect of non concentric brake pad friction is minimised by weak leverage. The armchair experts on that forum are missing the significance of these last two points.

I guess this may not be the perfect bike for a rider who likes to ride with his rear wheel locked up most of the time......[emoji12]

yahtzee.....squat and jack...regularly confused. Love how someone can be a expert without putting momentum in the equation.

can't say...haven't been on one, see what I did there

It will experience brake jack.  That's a design issue, not a "I've spent 100 hours on one" issue.

As JVX said, doesn't mean it's really material enough to discredit the awesomeness of this bike.  It is one of the better looking bikes out there.

It's just this blind patriotism people get because a SAFFA designed and therefore it must be 100%.   

Go have a look at the pre-D.O.P.E system Kona's and the current positioning of the brake mounts on their bikes - it's on the chainstay, seperate of the pivot, whereas the Stage is on the seatstay, in front of and linked to the Pivot.

It will experience brake jack.  That's a design issue, not a "I've spent 100 hours on one" issue.

As JVX said, doesn't mean it's really material enough to discredit the awesomeness of this bike.  It is one of the better looking bikes out there.

It's just this blind patriotism people get because a SAFFA designed and therefore it must be 100%.   

Go have a look at the pre-D.O.P.E system Kona's and the current positioning of the brake mounts on their bikes - it's on the chainstay, seperate of the pivot, whereas the Stage is on the seatstay, in front of and linked to the Pivot.

Cool, I prefer to buy bikes I have ridden...not what they do on paper. Tested the following

1. Sworks Enduro 29'er. Spez test day at avianto. Horrible, maybe there was something wrong with shock but the suspension blew through the travel even though sag and rebound was setup. Anyhow first impressions last. Felt like the bike was confused ito what it is. Pretty and light though.

2.Giant Reign...Awesome bike..can't fault performance, just didn't turn me on.

3.Pascoe...Rode one, expected a heavy oompa loompa. Turned out to be the most fun, bought one

Hardly blind china, Pyga has been getting stunning reviews all over, notably MBUK which lets face it can rip your gear to shreds if its hond.

Each to their own.

Cool, I prefer to buy bikes I have ridden...not what they do on paper. Tested the following

1. Sworks Enduro 29'er. Spez test day at avianto. Horrible, maybe there was something wrong with shock but the suspension blew through the travel even though sag and rebound was setup. Anyhow first impressions last. Felt like the bike was confused ito what it is. Pretty and light though.

2.Giant Reign...Awesome bike..can't fault performance, just didn't turn me on.

3.Pascoe...Rode one, expected a heavy oompa loompa. Turned out to be the most fun, bought one

Hardly blind china, Pyga has been getting stunning reviews all over, notably MBUK which lets face it can rip your gear to shreds if its hond.

Each to their own.

You got me all wrong captain.  Pyga are brilliant bikes. (So are Enduro's according to the reviewers you site, my friends who own them and myself having ridden them - each his own indeed).

But brakejack is technically a result of a design flaw or compromise (in that it could have been designed away).  So the blindness comes in at the refusal to accept that maybe Morewood either made a compromise or a mistake.  Neither of which take away from what they have achieved.

Anyways, silly me for raising a question about Pyga's on a Pyga thread (or the Hub for that matter).

Go Bokke!

I rode this bike yesterday. Awesome! A real plush ride, probably due to the fact that the suspension was dialled in. Kudos to the guys at Pyga!

You got me all wrong captain.  Pyga are brilliant bikes. (So are Enduro's according to the reviewers you site, my friends who own them and myself having ridden them - each his own indeed).

But brakejack is technically a result of a design flaw or compromise (in that it could have been designed away).  So the blindness comes in at the refusal to accept that maybe Morewood either made a compromise or a mistake.  Neither of which take away from what they have achieved.

Anyways, silly me for raising a question about Pyga's on a Pyga thread (or the Hub for that matter).

Go Bokke!

Ja indeed, suspect there was something wrong with that sworks enduro. Did a lap, took it back and swopped it out for the fatty they had there, that was awesome though.

Can't comment on pat's design thoughts and in all honesty, doesn't matter to me. One test ride and its a yay or nay. 

Ya, I'm sure it won't be absent. My 120 has brake jack, but it's hardly a problem. I only feel it under particular circumstances.

I know this is not currently on topic, but for those interested I recently had a Pascoe built up by trinity cycles in haartebeespoort. From putting in the request to receiving the bike (in Stellenbosch) it took all of a week. All along the way I was sent pics of the build in progress and then had the bike couriered to me, all of which was at a cost (including the courier) that couldn't be matched by anyone else. Very happy customer here. Pics of my own will follow soon.

Anyway, I just mentioned this in case anyone was in the position I was in a few weeks ago - wanting the bike but not sure where to source it. I had a really good experience with Trinity cycles. 

On the brake jack issue. Yes it does suffer from it. My previous VPP bike had such an active rear end under braking which meant I became used to just mashing the rear brake into braking bumps and ruts without any undue concern. Within a ride or two on the Pascoe I adapted - probably because my left trigger finger became much more sensitive on the rear stopper. I don't even think about it at all during a long gnarly, descent with hard braking.

I kinda like the fact that it's go a bit of a quirk otherwise it does everything so damn well it would be a tad bland without the slight braking issue. Next time I see Pat or Mark I will ask them why the design compromise...

The only thing I notice is that rear pad wear is more or equal to the front which is unusual for me. Just as well I use Hope brakes where you can dial in your bite point nicely to give any type of modulation you desire.

edith: grandma and sphelling

Edited by Robodog