Post your Pyga

PYGA1

Question to all those in the Know.. can I run a 160mm pike on my 120 frame ?

Haven't checked, but Pyga usually approves their frames for 20mm above rear wheel travel

120mm can take 120 - 140mm fork

140mm can take 140 - 160mm fork

Even if you could I'd go with Odison and say rather don't. Chances are you will ruin your bike's geo for very little gain. Higher BB, higher & slacker seat tube will make for a very confused bike. 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check Pyga's website - the travel limits should be listed.

Personally, I'd never want that type of travel differential on a dually - I want a bike to feel balanced back to front.

Yeah the site just says 140mm recommend.

Trying to decide what fork to get . Have the pike on my trance , was thinking of moving it over if possible but maybe not. The dvo diamond is so tempting, but pricy .. Other wise maybe I should just go rs revelation .

Yeah the site just says 140mm recommend.

Trying to decide what fork to get . Have the pike on my trance , was thinking of moving it over if possible but maybe not. The dvo diamond is so tempting, but pricy .. Other wise maybe I should just go rs revelation .

The DVO Diamond is slightly cheaper than the Pike... at least at my shop!

We put a Diamond on a 120 for a custom build for a customer - carbon Pyga rims too. Reduced it to 140 and the bike handles like a dream. He

is so impressed he's got the Diamond 29" on his loan Stage Max frame for Wines2whales and we have build his 3rd pyga rimmed wheelset.

PS if you guys want to check pics of these two builds check our FB page ;)

I haven't decided yet.. but quite possibly :) will see how she rides when I finally find everything I need ..

Question to all those in the Know.. can I run a 160mm pike on my 120 frame ?

I know a few riders in the Howick/Karkloof area who run 160 pikes on their 120s. They seem to do OK. Doesn't look weird at all. Some of them are very quick on the trail. I have a 140 Rev on mine, and it's definitely the weak point of the bike. If I could do it again I'd look for a 150 pike.

I know a few riders in the Howick/Karkloof area who run 160 pikes on their 120s. They seem to do OK. Doesn't look weird at all. Some of them are very quick on the trail. I have a 140 Rev on mine, and it's definitely the weak point of the bike. If I could do it again I'd look for a 150 pike.

Really ? You find the rev lets the rest of the bike down .. Then maybe I should cross that off my options list

I think this is also a very situation dependant decision too though. Some might never ride hard enough to really use the 160. So might never see that kind of terrain. Skills play a big role when you're "needing" that much travel. I might be too terrified to even really push the bike that hard.

And then there's how much sag. You set, rebound speed, etc. It all makes my head spin quite frankly. Another reason why I'm getting the stage max, set up by Pat. If he thinks it's good enough, then I'm not going to need anything more.

Really ? You find the rev lets the rest of the bike down .. Then maybe I should cross that off my options list

Yes. Still 32mm stanchions, which at 140mm are at the limit of their operative capacity. 

Much better would be something with 34/35mm stanchions. 

MRP Stage, X Fusion something, Fox 34 (now that the CTD shaite is gone) Pike, DVO Diamond or foor a slightly cheaper option, the RS Yari or Sektor. 

I think this is also a very situation dependant decision too though. Some might never ride hard enough to really use the 160. So might never see that kind of terrain. Skills play a big role when you're "needing" that much travel. I might be too terrified to even really push the bike that hard.

And then there's how much sag. You set, rebound speed, etc. It all makes my head spin quite frankly. Another reason why I'm getting the stage max, set up by Pat. If he thinks it's good enough, then I'm not going to need anything more.

I must say, that the extra travel is a HUGE security blanket. I don't know how many times I've been saved by virtue of having slightly more travel than a trail strictly "needs"

With the stage on the way, and the very more downhill rocky riding I'm doing with the 120 now I might change to a 140 fork in the front also.

For what I was doing with it in SA the 120mm was perfect, but with the option of the Stage for more longer flatter, less technical riding I'm thinking a change in fork and +dropper seat post is called for on the OneTwenty. Keen on a Pike :)

G

I must say, that the extra travel is a HUGE security blanket. I don't know how many times I've been saved by virtue of having slightly more travel than a trail strictly "needs"

With the stage on the way, and the very more downhill rocky riding I'm doing with the 120 now I might change to a 140 fork in the front also.

For what I was doing with it in SA the 120mm was perfect, but with the option of the Stage for more longer flatter, less technical riding I'm thinking a change in fork and +dropper seat post is called for on the OneTwenty. Keen on a Pike :)

G

Cant tell you how many time that piece of kit has saved my ringpiece from netcare in the last two months...BRILLIANT FORK

The Pike fits just as nicely on the OneTwenty as on the Pascoe.

as a one bike does all the 120mm RCT3 Revelation was perfect for the frame with what I as doing with it in SA, but now in Dubai, int he rocky mountains where I'm riding allot I need something bigger up front, so Pike here we come.

Will use the Stage for the longer flatter riding, which there is allot of also if chosen.

G

Cant tell you how many time that piece of kit has saved my ringpiece from netcare in the last two months...BRILLIANT FORK

The Pike fits just as nicely on the OneTwenty as on the Pascoe.

as a one bike does all the 120mm RCT3 Revelation was perfect for the frame with what I as doing with it in SA, but now in Dubai, int he rocky mountains where I'm riding allot I need something bigger up front, so Pike here we come.

Will use the Stage for the longer flatter riding, which there is allot of also if chosen.

G

nice, the pike is just gives you a nice safety blanket....especiially if you riding stuff blind.

case and point is that dvd drop at hakahana...i mean its not a huge drop by any means but if you ride it blind expecting a slope and you have weighted your front and there is no slope....oh nelly

Thanks goodness for the pike i say

Edited by rouxtjie

For those that know Hakana.... 75% of the riding is a match now.

Will need to open wallet for a dropper seat post also :) bank balance urrgggg.

G

nice, the pike is just gives you a nice safety blanket....especiially if you riding stuff blind.

Riding blind....

now I know people have said I should open my eyes when coming round a corner and suddenly there is a unexpected drop.

G

case and point is that dvd drop at hakahana...i mean its not a huge drop by any means but if you ride it blind expecting a slope and you have weighted your front and there is no slope....oh nelly

Thanks goodness for the pike i say

For those that know Hakana.... 75% of the riding is a match now.

Will need to open wallet for a dropper seat post also :) bank balance urrgggg.

G

lol check my response ito hakahana....

dropper and pike is a must there....hell it makes the riding lekker..

Also tough tires....sharp klippe will destroy XC tyres.

agreed, and thus the personality change in store for the OneTwenty.

Just need to make sure things work out this side first before spending all the money, I don't want to spend the money if I end having to return to SA.

G

lol check my response ito hakahana....

dropper and pike is a must there....hell it makes the riding lekker..

Also tough tires....sharp klippe will destroy XC tyres.