are expensive parts making us soft

Stretch

When I started mtbiking we used to ride in all conditions regardless of the weather. With the dreadful weather in kzn I have seen a lot of people pulling out of the hill2hill (myself probably included) due to the concern of having to replace our drivetrains due to mud damage...the cost the overriding factor.

Before this was not an issue because the costs were not such a factor. So it's not about the rain and the mud but more about the wallet that is making us "soft".....

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

I have just bought a new bike and there's no ways i am going to ride it in the mud tomorrow.

I dont nedd the extra expense of replacing pads, chain and cassette so soon!

XO cassette these days costs about R1800, not cheap!

I think you should be asking 'why do we need to ride with xtr or x0 kit in the first place when slx is more than good enough?'

That said, I often choose not to ride in tokai in the wet due excessive wear on my drivechain.

Spot on - I used to ride and race irrespective. It got ridiculously expensive.

I now do 80% of my training on the road on a road bike and save my mtb drivetrains for skills sessions and races - in the dry and occasional damp race.

You KZN sissies .In Gauteng we lick our bikes clean or we carry them over the finish line

you going to have to do a whole lot of licking tomorrow if you riding in the H2H :ph34r:

good point here,I have also learnt the expensive way,after doing last years trans lesotho ride ,one wet afternoon cost me R2000 in repairs.

Although I am most likely riding tomorrow hill2hill.A friend has twisted my arm.The more costly your bike the less you want to ride in bad conditions.

Reminds me of years ago we used to go to some really rough places in the berg, guys with the expensive cars would not go because of the bad roads.

I heard the hill2hill today was supposed to have 1500 riders,only 480 rode,of that only 25% finished.

I agree. The more expensive to buy the more expensive to run. I have a brill 2007 bike with XT. I am keeping it for as long as poss because it seems to cost a lot less to maintain than my friends' more recent models with 'same' ...

I think the cost of things has just increased so much. Cheap kit can be a false economy - expensive kit often unneccessary for the mid packer.

XT or SLX level of kit is adequate for most of us. A chain and cassette at SLX level is just shy of R900. Personally I can't justify that for a few races in the mud.

Never mind the wheel bearings, brake pads, chain rings, free hub bodies etc.

Perhaps the question is then, aren't you riding a bike that is to expensive for you to afford?

I don't agree. My second bike has "cheaper" components but I'm still not happy to trash it in poor conditions!

You KZN sissies .In Gauteng we lick our bikes clean or we carry them over the finish line

We had such a ride this morning..... :clap:

Rain, cold, excessive wear...

All good. Love it :thumbup:

good point here,I have also learnt the expensive way,after doing last years trans lesotho ride ,one wet afternoon cost me R2000 in repairs.

Although I am most likely riding tomorrow hill2hill.A friend has twisted my arm.The more costly your bike the less you want to ride in bad conditions.

Reminds me of years ago we used to go to some really rough places in the berg, guys with the expensive cars would not go because of the bad roads.

I heard the hill2hill today was supposed to have 1500 riders,only 480 rode,of that only 25% finished.

There's approx 1500 riders between both races. Roughly 500 in the 45km and 1000 in the 105km.