Cape Town opens Promenade to cyclists, skateboarders and rollerbalders

Heckflosse

City opens Sea Point Promenade to cyclists, skateboarders and rollerbladers during Transport Month

The City of Cape Town’s Mayoral Committee Member for Transport, Roads and Stormwater, Councillor Brett Herron, has announced that as part of its efforts to build an Inclusive City, the City will be experimenting with lifting the prohibition on the use of bicycles, skateboards and rollerblades on the Sea Point Promenade. This will come into effect from 1 October 2012.

The trial phase will run for the duration of October, which is Transport Month, and has the full backing of the Sea Point Residents’ Association. It will affect the entire promenade, from Mouille Point to Queen’s Beach.

“We will be monitoring the situation very closely during the trial phase. However I am confident that the experience will allow us to overcome some of our misperceptions and prejudices around users of alternative transport methods, also known as Active Mobility.

“All visitors to the promenade are asked to remain courteous and considerate – especially toward more vulnerable users. Cyclists, skateboarders and rollerbladers must, in all cases, give right of way to pedestrians, prams and wheelchair users, and travel at a safe and sensible speed,” said Councillor Herron.

He stressed that the promenade was not being opened for professional cycling or skateboarding tricks, but for the use of bicycles, skateboards and rollerblades for leisurely transportation purposes.

“The idea, from an urban planning perspective, is that the high density of pedestrians, cyclists, skateboarders and rollerbladers will have a slowing down effect on the general speed of traffic.”

“The initiative has been successful on promenades and walkways in other parts of the world and is a logical extension of the Share the Road Campaign, which encourages cyclists and motorists to share roads courteously and safely.

“We have consulted local representatives for the various types of non-motorised transport, who have offered to launch Twitter and Facebook campaigns to remind their members of the basic rules of etiquette expected from Active Mobility users on the promenade,” said Councillor Herron.

Cllr Beverley Schafer, Ward Councillor for the Atlantic Seaboard, said that there has always been the understanding amongst Sea Point residents that the promenade was a treasure to be shared with people from all over Cape Town and beyond.

“It simply does not make sense that visitors on bicycles, skateboards and rollerblades are not able to enjoy the promenade as our walkers and joggers do. This trial period will also cater for the increasing numbers of tour guides taking groups of cycling tourists along key scenic routes in the city”.

“With the upgrade of the sea wall and walkway scheduled to take place over the next three years, the Sea Point Promenade is set to become one of Cape Town’s most appreciated and enjoyed recreational spaces,” said Councillor Schafer.

End

Issued by: Integrated Strategic Communication and Branding Department, City of Cape Town

Media enquiries: Councillor Brett Herron, Mayoral Committee Member for Transport, Roads and Stormwater, City of Cape Town, Tel: 021 400 1298 or Cell: 082 518 3264, E-mail: brett.herron@capetown.gov.za

http://futurecapetown.com/2012/09/cape-town-opens-promenade-to-cyclists-skateboarders-and-rollerbalders/#.UGNDx7TXEpQ

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About time! I think i was the first ever to get booted on 'blades, back in 1990 :o

Every time I go back down I try sneak in a ride there.

:clap: Super idea! I get the feeling that the City of C Town is thinking out of the box here. Hope cyclists behave and don't p-off the old ladies and their little dogs - perhaps it will become a permanent arrangement.

I was thinking that this would have been a great idea when I took my kids on their bikes down there a few weeks ago, the little criminals shouldn't have been riding there I know, but I was hoping that they would get locked up and give the ball and chain and I a night off, but I digress.

I am very worried that the place is going to be flooded by cyclists loving the novelty of riding where they have previously been banned and ripping up and down with impunity. This could create a negative backlash from a very conservative grouping there, heaven forbid that Mrs Goldstein's Maltese gets flattened by a racing snake on an s-works

Small Kids always were always allowed to ride bikes on the promenade. I have taken my kids there for years and never had issues. But adults dont need to ride on the promenade I personally think this is an accident waiting to happen. Just a matter of time before some idiot going 50kmh takes a kid out . One can ride safely on the parrallel black pavement on the other side of the grass if they need to ride bikes. The promenade is mainly for joggers and walkers. I got no issue with skateboarders or rollerbladers but bicycles shouldnt be allowed on the promenade it gets a bit congested at times and there will be an accident

Edited by Stevief

I am very worried that the place is going to be flooded by cyclists loving the novelty of riding where they have previously been banned and ripping up and down with impunity. This could create a negative backlash from a very conservative grouping there, heaven forbid that Mrs Goldstein's Maltese gets flattened by a racing snake on an s-works

Don't think this is going to happen.

Most cyclists who are even semi-serious about cycling would rather use the road in any case and not the promenade.

I think this is more for families with small kids who're going really slowly, which is what I would use it for.

Don't think this is going to happen.

Most cyclists who are even semi-serious about cycling would rather use the road in any case and not the promenade.

I think this is more for families with small kids who're going really slowly, which is what I would use it for.

or for riding while someone else is running (case in point, me - I am a hopeless runner)

We can actually work out a nice road time-trial loop(s) and see who can get the quickest time? Penalty 5 seconds for hitting someone or something and bonus 5 seconds for jumping and clearing someone or something :thumbup:

The above is based on the assumption that there won't be any speed limits.

Didn't a lot of people say on another thread that when there's a cycle path you're not allowed to use the road? Hehe, take my comment with a pinch of salt...