The cost of bikes - have we lost touch with reality?

wesley_r

I would also depend on how many bikes you have - Ibe got a MTB, Road and TT but none of them cost of 20k. Only the MTB was new and the TT I build up but much like cars you want to upgrade an im sure in the future ill sell and get something a bit beter but I would not go out and drop R20k on a bike. I would also rather buy a better specced 2nd hand bike for the price of a mid level new one

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in the start chute on Saturday was a oldish guy on his Dogma with electronic gears. the price of my car. his rear wheel was twice the price of my bike. I beat him by 3 minutes. w00t.gif

Is that Dogma even worth the price tag? Even if you could afford it.

Yip, It is still at that price on the Cyclelab floor...

Seems a good deal - funny I was reading a write up last night on the Superfly, sorry it was on the net and I can`t remember the link - it was late and I was tired, but they liked it.

yes anything above the 20k mark and I start breaking into a cold sweat... I think there should be events were the bike you ride cant be more than R2000, and this will revive the game special bikes! That will be a race....

Ill never forget this. I have a work colleague, that is a very strong / fast Triathlete, but yet she is like a office clerk. You should have seen her at 70.3 on her R3K racer. She was ripping past guys on their fancy TT bikes.

Shes racing at Xterra Hawaii soon.

I have also spent a lot on bicycles and up to recently had a fleet of 5 bikes. After my two most expensive bikes were stolen and I was looking at the cost of replacement, it dawned on me that my favourite bike, the one I ride most often was the cheapest. Less than R9k complete, all new parts. To paraphrase somebody that has recently been in the news, my enjoyment of cycling is not about the bike.clap.gif

Forgot to add, my Spez Rockhopper is 2011 model, bought in 2012 for 6K. But I sold my old MTB and an unwanted competition prize and got the bike. Will ride this bike for many years, I'd rather spend extra cash on my wife and son than having to pay above say 20K for a bike

Ja no, bikes have/are very expensive. I have been looking for a while. I set my max at last year at 10k, but had to change that to 15k at a push and a very very big push to 20k. However should I replace my current ride, I will most likely buy a used bike.

Ill never forget this. I have a work colleague, that is a very strong / fast Triathlete, but yet she is like a office clerk. You should have seen her at 70.3 on her R3K racer. She was ripping past guys on their fancy TT bikes.

Shes racing at Xterra Hawaii soon.

Ive seen this so many times, pure power! Did a cycle race at stonehaven recently, and there was s fellow cyclist that was on a mountain bike that was probably ten years old and didnt even have a name, just had slicks, he rode with takkies aswell.. he still kept with the pack for about 90 percent of the race, during the one flat stretch he still got a phone call and was talking for a few min.. This was amazing!

Edited by Marx001

The actual cost of our stable (garages) of bikes is about a 3rd of the insured replacement value of them. I managed to find 3 real bargains via the Hub classifieds.

Next year I would like to get a Santa Cruz Tallboy but want to try and fit 650B wheels to my Santa Cruz Superlight first. The cost of new Tallboy is beyond my pain threshold and as yet I have not seen any 2nd hand medium ones for sale.

Is that Dogma even worth the price tag? Even if you could afford it.

I almost told him if I beat you I get yours, if you beat me you get mine... awesome looking bike.