The cost of bikes - have we lost touch with reality?

wesley_r

Ive set my max at 30k. Anything above that I will have to start earning an Income from cycling and that's not going to happen any time soon.

I bought myself a Silverback Ventura last year May at R7000. At the time I thought that it is a lot of money but in the last year and a bit Ive come to realize that this is not a cheap sport. Will ride my silverback for the foreseeable future with all other living expenses sky rocketing...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting topic this

Riding buddies and I discussed this the other day as well. When is enough, enough? I was planning on building a PYGA up with XT, Fox, ZTR etc, and it all amounted to about 40K (from CRC). That was until I sat back and thought about the amount. 40K!! That is a lot of money in anyone’s books (even for those in a midlife crisis).

I think the most I can ever see myself pay for a bike is 30K. I love cycling. I eat, sleep, breath, talk, think…. cycling and am totally addicted to it, but you still have to sit back and see what the opportunity cost of such a purchase is. Not only with bikes, but the gear as well.

What is your max amount (not based on current income, just realistically)?

R20k MAX,

It was a typo, there was a mix up what with that particular model been ridden and the lower level Genius is currently for retail and also a model in the give away comp.

The top end genius is certainly a whack of cash, but the mid and lower level models certainly do represent good value for money on the k30- k50. Albeit still a fair expenditure for many of us.

Unfortunately that slipped through on the current issue and both of us who normally proof the mag missed it.

Totally our mistake and we really do apologise, given our deadlines on this current issue and extra commitments the human element came in and we made a mistake.

No excuse I know, nobody likes their passion to be messed with, once again though, sincere apologies.

That aside, definitely some bikes out there that are really expensive, this is true of all sports though. There will always be that market who feels defined more by what their spend on a sport is, rather than the experience. Each to their own, me personally I just enjoy the ride rather, if they're happy, good for them. smile.png

I figured something like that must have happened... good to know whistling.gif

R20 000.00 max

My full carbon road bike with 105 Ten speed groupo cost me R13 000.00 to build up, all new components.

My Alu Giant XTc2 has cost me around R7 000.00 to build up, mostly second hand, but not second class. X0 twist grip, rest X9, fairly decent toobless wheels / tyres, Fox F80 Terralogic fiork, etc.

With these two steeds I go and ride all the places where the mega bucks bikes go, and I'm quite sure I am not having any less fun.

Interesting topic this

Riding buddies and I discussed this the other day as well. When is enough, enough? I was planning on building a PYGA up with XT, Fox, ZTR etc, and it all amounted to about 40K (from CRC). That was until I sat back and thought about the amount. 40K!! That is a lot of money in anyone’s books (even for those in a midlife crisis).

I think the most I can ever see myself pay for a bike is 30K. I love cycling. I eat, sleep, breath, talk, think…. cycling and am totally addicted to it, but you still have to sit back and see what the opportunity cost of such a purchase is. Not only with bikes, but the gear as well.

What is your max amount (not based on current income, just realistically)?

Even if I was rolling in it, I don't see myself spending more than R30k on a bike. R35k if it's REALLY awesome and I can't help myself w00t.gif

But in reality my limit is closer to 20k. And let me tell you, you can get some sweet bikes for 20k thumbup1.gif

Even so I am happy with my bike - I bought it for a bargain and spent cash on it over time, and all in it's cost a fair bit less than 20k (purchase price and upgrades - though it's impossible to calculate with parts being swapped between bikes, sold off, etc)... I'll probably stick to it for another year or two and then upgrade the frame only...

Edited by the_wes

Scott Genuis 700 - the new 650B top-of-range carbon one. Great bike, but certainly not "affordable" by any stretch of the imagination, or am I just too frugal for my own good?

R85k for a scott...no thank you! Thats rear shock is terrible!!!

in the start chute on Saturday was a oldish guy on his Dogma with electronic gears. the price of my car. his rear wheel was twice the price of my bike. I beat him by 3 minutes. w00t.gif

Sorry for the hijack, but what do you guys think of this bike?

http://www.cyclelab....BON (2012).aspx

Solomons is clearing it @ R27,999

dis nou 'n bleddie nice fiets daai, sou net bietjie dat die drivetrain beter ge-spec is.

For bikes, my limit on spending would probably be 20K as well

Sorry for the hijack, but what do you guys think of this bike?

http://www.cyclelab....BON (2012).aspx

Solomons is clearing it @ R27,999

If that is the bike I think it is then it was on their floor for R 39,999 last month. Full XX

EDIT: Just saw the link, I'm talking about HT

Edited by jcza

You guy are talking about a lot of money. At this rate I can not see myself ever owning a new bike. I scratch around in the classifieds for something and then I still have to approve it with household budget.

This game is more expensive than golf!!!

Then again, have you seen what a decent cricket bat cost for a school laaitie. Not under R1 000. Madness

Ridiculous! thumbdown.gif

Not good for the sport, and showing away lots of potential newcomers with these prices. So, most people will have to start with bottom of the range bikes and then when they want to move on to something better, fork out double or triple the amount. Most people getting into mountain biking can't afford R10k and up when starting out.

Yes, there goes a lot into building these bikes, but really, does it quantify the cost? Or is this in SA only?

Also wanted to get a another bike, but pricing made me to put that idea on hold for a few years....unsure.png

R20K is about the limit for me.

Edited by BearManGuy