The cost of bikes - have we lost touch with reality?

wesley_r

Start a poll and see how bikes are financed.

Most are paid off on personal loans and bonds.That's why guys are shocked when they try and sell them in the classifieds,they still owe huge amount on those bikes.

idea for poll:

Cash

Credit card

Personal loan

Bond

Sponsored

I tried to start a poll but won't work

Why, wtf cares?

I also don't understand the "I tried to start a poll but won't work" option... which LBS accept that as a form of payment?

You won't work? we'll then you cant have a bike, sorry.... w00t.gif

Edited by TheV

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you know what the solution is.

True.

At the end of the day you have to decide whether it is worth it for you (and not the editor of some mag).

I'm not complaining, those parts need replacement because of several hours of fun - but seeing the prices of things every now and then does come as a shock!

Start a poll and see how bikes are financed.

Most are paid off on personal loans and bonds.That's why guys are shocked when they try and sell them in the classifieds,they still owe huge amount on those bikes.

idea for poll:

Cash

Credit card

Personal loan

Bond

Sponsored

I tried to start a poll but won't work

I don't have a clue how to start a poll, but it would be interesting to see the results IF all respondents were honest, which is unlikely.

The way I see it, a bike is a pure luxury item and should be bought from disposable income, once off if the person is a high earner, or saved for over a period of time.

I know a lot of bikes get bought on hp, card budget plans etc, but that just doesn't sit well with me. The thought of getting a statement from Wesbank for a bicycle just doesn't seem right.

Life is to short to worry about what he or she rides/can afford. Buy what you feel confortable with and ride that bike hard

Make the most of every pedal because before you know it you're sitting on the porch at the retirement village looking back at all the good times

I know a lot of bikes get bought on hp, card budget plans etc, but that just doesn't sit well with me. The thought of getting a statement from Wesbank for a bicycle just doesn't seem right.

If it does not come with a 5 year 120K service plan included then rather do not finance it.

Some of you from the old Supercycling website may remember tandem4. Well the 4 stod for me, EM, the bank and the building society. Well that was long ago and we have moved on since. All other bikes since then was paid for in cash.

Whether bikes are to expensive, we are paying for the use of a commodity that makes use of high tech technology for a very small market. We have to pay for that premium.

Edited by eccentric1

I bought me a second hand frame 2 years ago, and fitted parts from a cheap Raleigh Nomad, replaced things as they broke and I I could afford to, its taken me a long time and its still not what I want it to be, but it's almost there. Once I have enough money save up, I'll sell this and get my next best affordable bike.

I'm 28 now, I'm grateful that I owe not a cent to the bank, never did, not on a car or a house or anything, never owned a credit card. I must also be grateful that the almighty gave my parents the means to give me a house.

I always feel tempted to go and buy a new full sus carbon 29er on credit, but at the end of the day cycling is a passionate hobby, and I personally don't think it's sensible to go to that extent to support a hobby.

True.

At the end of the day you have to decide whether it is worth it for you (and not the editor of some mag).

I'm not complaining, those parts need replacement because of several hours of fun - but seeing the prices of things every now and then does come as a shock!

I was actually going for "degree by google" as a solution, sourcing parts from the cheapest place(local or web) and learn how to do it yourself. I am saying replace parts, service your bike and make sure it is mech sound, you will defnitely enjoy your riding more. Also its quite lekker doing the work yourself and you know what was done and not done. I am with you ito of cost of things being flippen high, but there are ways to bypass big price tags.

Interesting topic this

Riding buddies and I discussed this the other day as well. When is enough, enough? I was planning on building a PYGA up with XT, Fox, ZTR etc, and it all amounted to about 40K (from CRC). That was until I sat back and thought about the amount. 40K!! That is a lot of money in anyone’s books (even for those in a midlife crisis).

I think the most I can ever see myself pay for a bike is 30K. I love cycling. I eat, sleep, breath, talk, think…. cycling and am totally addicted to it, but you still have to sit back and see what the opportunity cost of such a purchase is. Not only with bikes, but the gear as well.

What is your max amount (not based on current income, just realistically)?

My Pyga was going to cost 24k, 5,5 for the frame and 18k for the silverback donor bike

That didn't materialize though due to quality issues

I was actually going for "degree by google" as a solution, sourcing parts from the cheapest place(local or web) and learn how to do it yourself. I am saying replace parts, service your bike and make sure it is mech sound, you will defnitely enjoy your riding more. Also its quite lekker doing the work yourself and you know what was done and not done. I am with you ito of cost of things being flippen high, but there are ways to bypass big price tags.

That is actually still something that I want to do in future.

I had a little fixie project, which I just finished, and it was quite a learning experience.

Baby steps for now, will get there one day.

It was a typo, there was a mix up what with that particular model been ridden and the lower level Genius is currently for retail and also a model in the give away comp.

The top end genius is certainly a whack of cash, but the mid and lower level models certainly do represent good value for money on the k30- k50. Albeit still a fair expenditure for many of us.

Unfortunately that slipped through on the current issue and both of us who normally proof the mag missed it.

Totally our mistake and we really do apologise, given our deadlines on this current issue and extra commitments the human element came in and we made a mistake.

No excuse I know, nobody likes their passion to be messed with, once again though, sincere apologies.

That aside, definitely some bikes out there that are really expensive, this is true of all sports though. There will always be that market who feels defined more by what their spend on a sport is, rather than the experience. Each to their own, me personally I just enjoy the ride rather, if they're happy, good for them. smile.png

Dassie, I was looking at the weights of the bikes on test in the last issue. A BH carbon 29 hard tail@ 14.5kg? a Momsen alu 29HT @10.5kg, a Titus carbon 29 HT also around 14kg.

Im not trying to point out every mistake here but It looked a bit suspect, If so you prob know about it, but Im still wondering everytime I drool over it ;)

If there were no expensive bikes what would we drool over, or post on threads ?

So my couple grand Giant and still going strong is a winner??? I LIKE IT!!

I have blown my fair share of cash!! ...on a garage full of toys... Life sent me a mental adjustment and I had to adapt, and to that end I am actually ever so greatful. Yes I had money, but I also had an attitude and a warped sense of value. I now appreciate the more important things in life that you cant attach a value to or rather are priceless. Dont get me wrong a bling full suspension bike or tricked out Bianchi do get my pulse racing.... but I remember the lesson of value.

BUT if I come into some money or re establish my business again I will upgrade ...oh yes I will but it will be strictly cash and MTB Max R15000 Road Bike R12000-00

That is actually still something that I want to do in future.

I had a little fixie project, which I just finished, and it was quite a learning experience.

Baby steps for now, will get there one day.

Lekker man, the sooner the better. Start with a draadloos and a bar fridge....essential workshop tools. thumbup1.gif

I started the poll in 'Polls' but there doesnt seem to be the option to tick options or is it just my mobile.

+1

In my experience there are three things that can scratch the dreaded bike upgrade itch:

- Proper bike maintenance(I do mine myself). A smooth running bike won't give you reason for upgrade

- Hard training - The better my condition the less I worry about how technologically advanced my bike is. When you are not training you have lots of time to think about possible upgrades also.

- Saving properly and buying a good bike from the start instead of buying an average bike as soon as you can afford a new one.

Having said that, I have no problem with people dropping cash on an expensive bike. It is their money they have worked for, and no one has the right to judge them for doing that.

Edited by Brian Fantana

+1

In my experience there are three things that can scratch the dreaded bike upgrade itch:

- Proper bike maintenance(I do mine myself). A smooth running bike won't give you reason for upgrade

- Hard training - The better my condition the less I worry about how technologically advanced my bike is. When you are not training you have lots of time to think about possible upgrades also.

- Saving properly and buying a good bike from the start instead of buying an average bike as soon as you can afford a new one.

Having said that, I have no problem with people dropping cash on an expensive bike. It is their money they have worked for, and no one has the right to judge them for doing that.

This sums it up pretty nicely for me...good post