How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI: SRAM 10 speed shifterswork with their 10 speed MTB RDs (both use exact actuation)

Their Apex range also has a wide range RD http://www.sram.com/...rear-derailleur

Have a brand new set of Apex Shifters that you can have for cheap cheap, if you're interested

Indeed. I'm a Shimano man through and through so my answer was based on using their stuff. As far as I know (and that aint much when it comes to SRAM) all their stuff is 1-1 ratio so anything will work with anything. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

@maffias - it's an Xlite fork I picked up at CRC. I've since sold it and moved to the PRO XC-R (see attached). It fits better with the round steel tubes of the Niner. More traditional looking.

The Giant MonsterCross is back to being a mountain bike and the MonsterCross bike is now steel, orange and Niner :-)

post-2412-0-61529300-1384335674_thumb.jpg

That is interesting...shot for the info....might re-consider going with sram shifters and dr combos.

what shifters you looking for. Have a set of tiagra if it will work,must juat see if 10 speed or 9. In a spares box at home. Will swop for a beer if you can use them

Edited by flat29

As far as I can tell....either! Depends if you like silver or black. R100 difference. Looks like you can get the road ones in 140mm rotor if that floats your boat.

Ta, like the black ones which on comes in 160mm.

what shifters you looking for. Have a set of tiagra if it will work,must juat see if 10 speed or 9. In a spares box at home. Will swop for a beer if you can use them

Shot dude, thinking of 105's or Ultegra if budget allows.

ag koot...another question

road bar....which width..40 or 42 or 44?

Wider is better. Jumping a MonsterCross bike is tough with bike courier size bars!

Edit: Also try and get straight bars as opposed to the curvy track style (I'm talking the top of the bars). I initially popped track bars on because I thought they'd be a bit stronger but the curved tops really hurt my wrists and caused interesting ventures into bushes previously unknown.

Edited by Eldron

Ack ack - you're killing us here!

Don't let the man force his franchised goods upon thee! Arise and build thy own.

Same rule as SSer - the first one has to be built using bits from your garage, bedroom and friends.

It's kinda nice.

Oh and damn you Rouxtjie!

Whilst chatting to Mr. Shimano about gearing ratios I ended up buying a Niner EMD - the old round tubed one (model before the hydroformed stuff).

Not sure what it will become yet though...

Thank you Rouxtjie!

Oh and damn you Rouxtjie!

Whilst chatting to Mr. Shimano about gearing ratios I ended up buying a Niner EMD - the old round tubed one (model before the hydroformed stuff).

Not sure what it will become yet though...

Thank you Rouxtjie!

whahhaha booom that exact round tubed niner will be my monstercross creation....

whahhaha booom that exact round tubed niner will be my monstercross creation....

I like the round tubed stuff - more comfy than the hydroformed stuff and the semi traditional look also appeaks for a "social bike".

That hydroformed Air9 I had was stiff as...well...urrr...a very stiff thing.

I like the round tubed stuff - more comfy than the hydroformed stuff and the semi traditional look also appeaks for a "social bike".

That hydroformed Air9 I had was stiff as...well...urrr...a very stiff thing.

Ah ha ha ha ha

I think it's just that angle that they sit at that make them look awesome.

So when are you getting your awesome new frame?