How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

My Frankenbike/Monstercross

post-3441-0-27868300-1355465487_thumb.jpg

Some old 105 brake levers, and some cantilever brakes(to be put on still) to take care of the stopping.

A pair of bar-end shifters for shifting.

Going to put a short, high rise stem on and then good to go.

That's a beaut.... What fork is that?

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the original fork that came with the bike.

1993 Diamond Back Apex Cro-Mo

Awesome bike!

I'm enjoying the new(ish) attitude of building fun bikes. More and more people are getting into this crazy scene.

Last week there were about 12 of us at Modders in a variety of costumes and a crazy collection of bikes including steel geared, steel SS, monstercross, duallie carbon wunderbikes and even a circa 1982 GT ball breaker. Wicked stuff.

Awesome bike!

I'm enjoying the new(ish) attitude of building fun bikes. More and more people are getting into this crazy scene.

Last week there were about 12 of us at Modders in a variety of costumes and a crazy collection of bikes including steel geared, steel SS, monstercross, duallie carbon wunderbikes and even a circa 1982 GT ball breaker. Wicked stuff.

I saw a guy on a mid to late '90's GT painted in the GT yellow and blue (CroMo frame) with a early generation Manitou fork on it.

would love to buy that bike, from my era when we started racing!!

Anyone know who owns it?

Which bars are those?

On-one Midges?

Ragley branding on there. Ragley Luxy's I think. Similar to the Midges.

Just put these bars on they a super cumphy

As a huge GT fan, this is one of the most awesome bikes i have seen in some time

Ragley branding on there. Ragley Luxy's I think. Similar to the Midges.

Thanks. Failed to see that on my phone.

Any idea where to get them here (I assume through CRC or direct from Ragley are options)

Thanks. Failed to see that on my phone.

Any idea where to get them here (I assume through CRC or direct from Ragley are options)

There are some Ragley bars on CRC. Otherwise mail Ragley from their site. They pretty helpful and should put you in the right direction if they can't help direct. Grant Usher may also be able to help locally.

On One will be able to supply their version direct from their site. Also very helpful guys.

I got the bars from Grant they are luxy bars I got the last pair I took my bike for it first real test ride since changing from the normal drop really awsome ride.

So having only ever had fat-tyre bikes, and therefore knowing less than nothing about road bikes -would those who venture on both sides of the Force be kind enough to share some thoughts on the following:

I already have v-brakes ( as opposed to canti's) set up on the bike - would these be compatible with road levers? In other words, if I went the whole hog of buying the off-road dropbars, and then were looking at getting the road brake levers, would they work with each other?

Assuming this to be the case, what model in the roadie world, would be similar to LX / SLX / XT? Don't want to break the bank - just want something solid and dependable...

And then lastly - assuming I ran it as a singlespeed - and therefore do not require gears, would this impact on the type of levers one chooses? Do they all come out as integrated systems now, or can you still get those that only brake - or doesn't it really matter?

Apologies for the hi-jack(?) - but hopefully others will also find the answers to the above useful...