How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is there all this talk of gears.

hahaha, defnitely want gears on this one and as big as my legs will allow....you know just to be able to hang with a bunch now and again

Take it you are SS it.

hahaha, defnitely want gears on this one and as big as my legs will allow....you know just to be able to hang with a bunch now and again

Take it you are SS it.

Is there any other way??

:thumbup:

Is there any other way??

:thumbup:

hehehhe I want some gears on this one, that is why I was hoping a road crank will fit but alas...will have to go with a XT bigboy one

This is where im going with it...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8Y7zogc96fk/S8CuiR4PbrI/AAAAAAAABXA/d43RazluZm4/s1600/IMG_0312.JPG

Edited by the nerd

Right:

Bars - take the ones with the shortest reach. The only way to ride this bike with fingers on the brakes is in the drops so you want the drops as close as possible. That way you don't trash your back!

Brakes: Shimano make a M545 and M485? mechanical but the Avid BB7s get the best reviews, are lighter and are available on CRC super cheap. I have a set and they are fantastic. Much easier than hydraulic to install and set up.

Cranks - use mtb 2x10 or 3x10 crank (road don't work because the rings hit the chainstay). Better still fit a single RaceFace narrow-wide chainring. I run mine without a chain guide and I haven't dropped a chain yet. I'm sure you will on the really big stuff but big hits isn't really what a MonsterCross bike is made for so no problem.

Cyclocross tyre - yes! I cheated a bit and got 38mm tyres. Slightly wider than the standard CX tyre but the extra few mm makes the bike a wee bit softer without looking like a fat tyre mtb. These bikes are HARD so every little bit helps. I use the Conti Cyclocross tyre - looks like a mini RaceKing.

Shifters - toughish one. 10spd road and 9 spd mtb are both 2-1 ratio so they work together. I have 105 STI road shifters with 9spd XTR RD and cassette. Works 100%. 10spd mtb stuff is 1.2-1 ratio so only 10spd mtb shifters work with 10spd mtb RD.

An idea (that I haven't tried) is to use a long cage triple road RD but it has a max tooth size of 30. My next MonsterCross bike will probably have this set up. 36 single in front with 11-30 or 12-30 10spd cassette should be well capable.

Ok meeting now - will catch up later on feedback :-)

MonsterCross bikes rock. Everyone should own one...

FYI: SRAM 10 speed shifterswork with their 10 speed MTB RDs (both use exact actuation)

Their Apex range also has a wide range RD http://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/sram-apex-wifli-rear-derailleur

Have a brand new set of Apex Shifters that you can have for cheap cheap, if you're interested

@ Elderon, your bike really looks awesome. PS where did you get that rigid fork and what price was it, is it a tapered fork ? I would like to pimp my Jamis as I use it for commuting and going the cycle cross route with Tyres really make a sense from a rolling resistance point of view.

FYI: SRAM 10 speed shifterswork with their 10 speed MTB RDs (both use exact actuation)

Their Apex range also has a wide range RD http://www.sram.com/...rear-derailleur

Have a brand new set of Apex Shifters that you can have for cheap cheap, if you're interested

That is interesting...shot for the info....might re-consider going with sram shifters and dr combos.

That is interesting...shot for the info....might re-consider going with sram shifters and dr combos.

Forgetting what i said about gears and all that a set of force shifters look amazing on a CX bike. Might use them has brake levers they look so good!!

Forgetting what i said about gears and all that a set of force shifters look amazing on a CX bike. Might use them has brake levers they look so good!!

yea they are quite pimp....

I'm in the process (at least in my mind) of sorting out the build for my next bike which will be a steel CX frame and fork.

I'll be going 1x10 with a Woolftooth 42 on the front and an 11-27/8 105/Ultegra cassette on the back. RD and shifters are Ultegra and brakes will be Avid BB7. A carbon FSA k-wing bar will do duty on a EA70 stem. Seatpost will be an EA70 with the wheelset and seat still to be decided on.

I'm in the process (at least in my mind) of sorting out the build for my next bike which will be a steel CX frame and fork.

I'll be going 1x10 with a Woolftooth 42 on the front and an 11-27/8 105/Ultegra cassette on the back. RD and shifters are Ultegra and brakes will be Avid BB7. A carbon FSA k-wing bar will do duty on a EA70 stem. Seatpost will be an EA70 with the wheelset and seat still to be decided on.

Nice one T....140 or 160 mm rotors?

Ok, so this kinda, sorta, maybe fits in here.

I needed something a little faster rolling than my 29er SS for the 94.7 next week, and I don't really own a road bike. You know when you stare vacantly at one of your possessions and an idea is born?

Enter the FrankenKona!

My Kona Unit with some Velocity Deep Vee wheels, shod with Schwalbe CX Comp tyre (thanks to Stretched@Birth), 42 big ring from a 10 speed SLX crank and a 19 rear cog. Bars are Ragley Carnegies riser bars, run inverted. Not sure if she fits into any specific category, but she feels fast, fun and comfortable.

post-1186-1384334840,1656.jpg