How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this will be the future of my XTC frame when i go to a DS 29er. Thanks for the inspiration.

Just one question, why the track bar?

Moer nice...kermit green. Loud..in yo face, here to race!

Would love one!

mmmh dat colour.....seen it somewhere before....mmoh well...its nice.

mmmh dat colour.....seen it somewhere before....mmoh well...its nice.

hehehehhe I see what you doing there...

Oh and fixing my payline for this colour...Loud, in yo face, here to race...wys my jou muis!!!

Oh and fixing my payline for this colour...Loud, in yo face, here to race...wys my jou muis!!!

should be made into a sticker fro your top tube.

I think this will be the future of my XTC frame when i go to a DS 29er. Thanks for the inspiration.

Just one question, why the track bar?

I figured track bars were stronger than normal road bars! Right idea but wrong result - the curved tops of track bars make steering a bit less comfy. I reckon I'm gonna swap them out for normal road bars - with the shortest reach I can find. I do most of the technical riding in the drops because that way I can hold AND brake. The shorter the reach the more comfy I reckon. The roll onto the brake hoods are also a bit odd on the track bars.

I miss my Kermit - see attached :-)

Other lessons I learned building the 'Monster:

Mechanical brakes are tight when using STI levers - set up has to be quite precise as there isn't a lot of range in the levers. Not a bad thing because you want to have a finger on the lever when you're in the drops and if the brakes take quite near the bar you can keep a finger on the lever without the brakes rubbing.

Avid BB7 mechanicals are ugly - quite big calipers and they look a bit silly.

Cyclocross tyres grip like hell - even though they're only 29x1.65.

Manualling a MonsterCross bike is tought!

The silliness factor outdoes SS mtb. Riding what feels like a road bike (but isn't really) down bumpy tracks makes you grin like a goon who's just been been teleported to a planet full of super models who own chocolate factories and make pale ales in their spare time. Naked. Covered in oil.

post-2412-0-52158800-1354019200_thumb.jpg

How wide is that handle bar? It looks rather narrow or is it just me?

It's a 44cm bar - must be the camera angle...

PEDAL DAMNIT? No! Wys my jou muis!

@j - I hate you man. That kermit monstercross bike is "mental mental chicken oriental!".

I figured track bars were stronger than normal road bars! Right idea but wrong result - the curved tops of track bars make steering a bit less comfy. I reckon I'm gonna swap them out for normal road bars - with the shortest reach I can find. I do most of the technical riding in the drops because that way I can hold AND brake. The shorter the reach the more comfy I reckon. The roll onto the brake hoods are also a bit odd on the track bars.

I miss my Kermit - see attached :-)

Other lessons I learned building the 'Monster:

Mechanical brakes are tight when using STI levers - set up has to be quite precise as there isn't a lot of range in the levers. Not a bad thing because you want to have a finger on the lever when you're in the drops and if the brakes take quite near the bar you can keep a finger on the lever without the brakes rubbing.

Avid BB7 mechanicals are ugly - quite big calipers and they look a bit silly.

Cyclocross tyres grip like hell - even though they're only 29x1.65.

Manualling a MonsterCross bike is tought!

The silliness factor outdoes SS mtb. Riding what feels like a road bike (but isn't really) down bumpy tracks makes you grin like a goon who's just been been teleported to a planet full of super models who own chocolate factories and make pale ales in their spare time. Naked. Covered in oil.

lmao w00t.gif

• 3 weeks later...

My Frankenbike/Monstercross

post-3441-0-27868300-1355465487_thumb.jpg

Some old 105 brake levers, and some cantilever brakes(to be put on still) to take care of the stopping.

A pair of bar-end shifters for shifting.

Going to put a short, high rise stem on and then good to go.