Young Cyclist in the Finals for award

bobbie

Hi all,

As a 'silent' member of the hub, but still a long time member, i would like to drum up some support for my daughter Lauren who is 15.

She has been cycling for 2 years now and has full KZN Colours for Cycling, getting gold in both the U14 road Race and U14 Time Trial as well as winning most of the races in her age group in KZN. She came first in the Argus Cycle Tour U14 age group last year and this year came 5th. She's a dedicated young lady who loves her sport.

But she has a heart of gold as well:

Whilst waiting to start our race at the Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge 2010, Lauren watched in awe as all the CHOC “cows and calves” had gathered to start their ride donning cow suits and cycling gear with the cow patterns on them. She asked what that was all about and once it was explained she immediately said: “Next year I am going to ride with ‘The Choc Herd” on a single bike and raise funds for these children and their families.” True to her word, she officially started her fund raising campaign in June.

To start her fundraising for CHOC and cycling ‘career’ with a bang she partook in “The “100 Miles to Nowhere”.

This event took place from 4 and 5 June 2011 – all over the world. The object of the ‘race’ is to go ….nowhere.

Our local event started at 4h30 and was completed at 15h00.The ‘going nowhere’ of the event is based on the founder of who had to nurse his terminally ill wife and look after their 4 children.

Being an avid cyclist the only time he had to cycle was from 2am to 4am every morning on his indoor trainer.. thus cycling but going nowhere. .

Lauren, together with 8 team members of Mr Price Cycle Club KZN whom she belongs to completed:

- a 40km circuit on the beach front (8 x 5km)

- a 40km loop in Hillcrest (25 x 1.6km)

- and another 40km loop in a cul-de-sac (100 x 400m),

- followed lastly by 40km on indoor trainers on a veranda.

160kms

Lauren has been selling fudge/spraying girls hair, selling hand made brooches etc at her school , as well as at the local cycling races, receiving incredible support for her cause from her school, her friends, family as well as all her cycling club friends!

With this Lauren raised enough funds and officially joined The Cows 2011 Stampede and was the youngest person in the ‘herd’ to raise funds for CHOC.

This year she was nominated for Up and Coming Athlete of the year in the Spar G-Sports Awards.

Her nominator wrote: "She should be recognised for her commitment, but also for her character of looking out for others and being a responsible member of her community/country, they way she gives back is admirable!"

I am an incredibly proud mom but all credit goes to Lauren and her kind heart and this is where you, the cyclists come in.

Please support her in creating awareness for CHOC, put cycling back on the map (in a positive (not test) way and vote for Lauren to receive the credit she deserves . Not only for her effort in terms of her training but for her dedication to fundraising whilst cycling!

http://gsport.co.za/...rds-voting-hall

Lauren Varty - 2012 Up and Coming Athlete of the Year

post-619-0-84221500-1352288190_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobbie

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure Bobs, we can do that - unless you want to write some more?

You could have said:

"vote for my kid, she's great & so am I"

& we'd all vote for Lauren, cuz its true.

@ Joe Low - hahaha you havent changed - that's clear!! I know it was a looong essay but I wanted the hubbers to 'get to know' Lauren a little more - before just blindly casting a vote.

Thank you all for the support!! I am such a proud mother goose, it's crazy!!

Awesome Bobster

Having had the pleasure of accompanying you two ladies on the 2010 94.7, it is just reward for a super young lady who puts others first.

Vote gladly done

Awesome Bobster

Having had the pleasure of accompanying you two ladies on the 2010 94.7, it is just reward for a super young lady who puts others first.

Vote gladly done

thank you Wolverine!! That was one epic journey the two of us will never forget! your ipod keeping us entertained whilst struggling through the joburg streets on our 'blue limo'!!

will have to get you in a 'cow suit' and join us next year!!