Cyclist spiking himself on the side of the road

eddy

I know it must have looked suspicious to see me sitting on the side of the road this morning drawing up a syringe, but thanks to everybody who offered help.

At about 05:30 and just after crossing Beyers Naude heading for Emmerentia dam, I got stung by a bee under the Jacaranda trees.

I became dangerously allergic to bee stings about 15 years ago and therefore, as always, I had two epinephrine ampules with me this morning. I managed to inject myself before i fell into anaphylactic shock although could feel my body already reacting to the histamine. The adrenaline works almost immediately (and wakes up your HRM quite impressively) so I was fine, but needed to get home - and close to an emergency room - quickly.

This is the second time this year that I got stung so if you suspect you are allergic, please make sure you have your muti with you at all times.

ps. to the guy who asked, no I am NOT Lance Armstrong tongue.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it must have looked suspicious to see me sitting on the side of the road this morning drawing up a syringe, but thanks to everybody who offered help.

At about 05:30 and just after crossing Beyers Naude heading for Emmerentia dam, I got stung by a bee under the Jacaranda trees.

I became dangerously allergic to bee stings about 15 years ago and therefore, as always, I had two epinephrine ampules with me this morning. I managed to inject myself before i fell into anaphylactic shock although could feel my body already reacting to the histamine. The adrenaline works almost immediately (and wakes up your HRM quite impressively) so I was fine, but needed to get home - and close to an emergency room - quickly.

This is the second time this year that I got stung so if you suspect you are allergic, please make sure you have your muti with you at all times.

Phew...you are lucky Puncheur was not around or you might be doing 10 years straight

lol ... got zapped 2x by bees on the bicycle. Luckily no allergic yes, but ya, you;ll get idiotic comments like that.

Eddy, glad you are OK. Great of you to be prepared. Now you just have to stop looking so much like a flower! And steer clear of the Cape Pioneer Trek!

Edited by DJR

If only all of cycling was thing honest, we may even have had a TDF winner for the first half of the 2000-2010 decade...

BTW, glad you're OK. Good luck with the UCI inquiry...

During a ride I got whacked by a bee on my lip, a few years ago. Thereafter I learnt to carry some bee-sting pills with me. I'm also allergic to bees and this is the only condition (since they contain cortisone) under which I will break the anti-doping rules (yes, in the TDF it happened 3/4 years ago that a bunch of guys got stung and they couldn't even get treated for the bee-stings).

But yeah, glad you are taking precautions. It affects you really really quickly so there's little time to react.

Edited by Bianchi

(yes, in the TDF it happened 3/4 years ago that a bunch of guys got stung and they couldn't even get treated for the bee-stings).

It was longer ago than that and JV got stung by a wasp, above his eye, he could have got a TUE from the tour doc and gotten a cortisone shot, but he chose not to, and abandoned.

The TUE exists for valid medical reasons.

Armstrong got bust for cortisone, but produced a TUE for the cream as he had a saddle sore.

Edited by TNT1

My daughter is allergic and the first time she got stung was quite nerve-racking. It is frightening how quick the sting reacts. Glad you are ok

Just out of interest, if you had gone into AS, how should a passer by help you?

Ampoules and syringe? Why not carry those single shot jobs? My ex carries those.

When last I bought one of those single shot Epi-pens theye cost about R500 a piece and had a very short expiry date.

The last ampules I bought cost about R6.40 each with a "shelf life" of 2 years and the syringes are R2.60. I buy a little box of the ampules and leave them with a syringe in my hiking pack, shaving kit, briefcase, (insulated) in my cubby hole, wrapped up with my spare tube, etc.

It is just much, much cheaper and more convenient to have one with you at all times. All it requires is a steady hand to draw it up.

Just out of interest, if you had gone into AS, how should a passer by help you?

Get me to an emergency room immediately.

Here is an extract from an US advice guide:

Treatment

Anaphylaxis is an emergency condition that needs professional medical attention right away. Call 911 immediately.

Check the person's airway, breathing, and circulation (the ABC's of Basic Life Support). A warning sign of dangerous throat swelling is a very hoarse or whispered voice, or coarse sounds when the person is breathing in air. If necessary, begin rescue breathing and CPR.

• Call 911.
  • Calm and reassure the person.
  • If the allergic reaction is from a bee sting, scrape the stinger off the skin with something firm (such as a fingernail or plastic credit card). Do not use tweezers -- squeezing the stinger will release more venom.
  • If the person has emergency allergy medicine on hand, help the person take or inject the medication. Avoid oral medication if the person is having difficulty breathing.
  • Take steps to prevent shock. Have the person lie flat, raise the person's feet about 12 inches, and cover him or her with a coat or blanket. Do NOT place the person in this position if a head, neck, back, or leg injury is suspected, or if it causes discomfort.

DO NOT:

• Do NOT assume that any allergy shots the person has already received will provide complete protection.

The first time I had a reaction i was very lucky in that I was literally 150m from a doctor that had a medical kit with her. Five mins after I was stung I was already in trouble.