RIP Burry Stander

Ranga

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP Burry. Too many thoughts to even say anything useful. Condolences to the loved ones through this testing time.

Just read the article on the front page of the Mercury. Cried my eyes out. sad.png Heart breaks for his family!

http://static.ow.ly/...ginal/1kkNO.jpg

It has made the front page of most mainstream newspapers today. Too tragic.

Someone, some pages back, suggested sharing stories about Burry. Here's mine…

I first learned who he was because of a photo sequence in a mag. He and Bunny Loubser got into a tangle on the run-in to the finish of a race (I think it was a national XC race at Fountains, but may be mistaken).

I saw him at races over the years, but only met him when Andrew McLean introduced me to him when SuperCycling did an outside broadcast from the bike park in Bryanston. Seemed a decent kid. Had time for everyone. Later that year, I had the pleasure of interviewing him after the WC race in PMB. He finished third that year. Hermida won - I can't remember who came second - but Burry was pleased with the result.

Fast forward a couple of years…to my favourite memory of him. I walked down from The Star's offices to Turbine Hall for the launch of the route for the 2012 Cape Epic with my brother, who knew Burry and Cherise very well. As we walked through the gate, some dude in a Polo (not good with cars, but I think it was a Polo) beeped his horn at us. Couldn't see who it was, so we carried on walking. The driver parked then ran over to us. It was Burry. He starts laughing, and says: "What? Because I am not driving a bling car you don't recognise me?"

RIP, kid. Taken away too soon.

Edited by Tumbleweed

Hi. I have read many conflicting reports. Does anyone have the facts?

R.I.P. Burry Stander and condolances - another tragedy sad.png

Still so absolutely unreal

Yip...still feels like im stuck in a dream where im not waking up

Cannot put my thoughts into words.

Cherise and Stander family my thoughts and prayers are with you.

awoke last night and I can not get the thoughts out of my mind , this is really tragic

RIP CHAMP !

Same here, last night was rough

WhatI've seen...

25 y old, taxi driver, taken into custody last night, charged with culpable homicide, was not a hit and run, he did stop.

was questioned and released, docut is being compiled to hand over to a prosecutor.

whats not clear is if he was riding with Cherise or with his dad, if practice I'd think it was Cherise, don't know how capable his dad is (apologise if he is actually very capable)

G

Hi. I have read many conflicting reports. Does anyone have the facts?

R.I.P. Burry Stander and condolances - another tragedy sad.png

Couldn't believe it when I heard it! I only really "sank in" this morning.

RIP Burry!

Condolences to the families as well.

Very, very sad news for all of us. I got shivers when I read it.

R.I.P Burry and condolences to his wife and family.

He will not be forgotten.

whats not clear is if he was riding with Cherise or with his dad, if practice I'd think it was Cherise, don't know how capable his dad is (apologise if he is actually very capable)

G

His Dad is very capable and would show many of us how to ride.