RIP Burry Stander

Ranga

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An outride planned from Lynnwood Cyclery (Pretoria) tomorrow morning.

40km and 60km.

This will not be an official Mass ride, but for those who want to join in, please feel free to meet us at 5:30 at the shop.

Went past the shop and dropped some flowers at the door, there was already a bunch there, and the S Works Epic in the window had about six bunches on it, saw a few other guys walking in with flowers also, shop will be closed until further notice.

As I put the flowers on the floor my 6 year old son says: " I'm so sorry for Burry, now we don't have the bestest rider anymore, how fair?"

post-3958-0-17197600-1357291998_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mackie

This is heartbreaking!!! RIP Burry:

May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind always be at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face,

and rains fall soft upon your fields.

And until we meet again,

May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Went past the shop and dropped some flowers at the door, there was already a bunch there, and the S Works Epic in the window had about six bunches on it, saw a few other guys walking in with flowers also, shop will be closed until further notice.

As I put the flowers on the floor my 6 year old son says: " I'm so sorry for Burry, now we don't have the bestest rider anymore, how fair?"

Lovely gesture, Mackie. Your kid just brought a tear to my eye.

The frame hanging on the wall in the pic, is the Frame, helmet and shoes Burry wore at the London Olympics, can't rotate the pic, so it should actually be top left and not bottom left as in the pic.

How screwed up is this whole thing?

Every time I think of it, I get teary eyed. Sad, sad day.

Knew Burry from seeing every now and again. Trained and raced together here and there. A true, humble hero that will be sorely missed!

My hart goes out to Cherise and the family! There are no words that can comfort you in such a situation.

God Speed!

Such terrible news.

Has a memorial ride for Burry been planned in the Durban area yet?

I see some of the cricketers are wearing black bands...is that for burry or have they had them on since the test started for Tony greig? I did not notice them in the first two days

A sad day indeed : Burry was a true cycling legend and a great ambassador for the sport of cycling as well as for South Africa.

R.I.P. young man

&

my family's condolences to Cherise, family and friends

the Proteas have their black armbands on for John Commins, a fomrer player, who was stabbed and killed in a house robbery a few days ago....

also condolences to his family and friends

one or 2 comments, below.

Time to get this going again!!!!

http://www.sign-up.co.za/interview

SPIN – November 2007, Bicycling Magazine

ACTION FIGURE - SAFETY OFFICER

INSTEAD OF JUST ACCEPTING THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR CYCLISTS ON SOUTH AFRICAN ROADS, SHAUN HANNIE DECIDED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT AND STARTED THE SIGN-UP INITIATIVE

By Sean Badenhorst

The lack of safety on our roads is probably the biggest limiting factor to the growth of cycling as a sport in South Africa. An average of 300 cyclists are killed in this country each year as a result of vehicle related accidents. That’s only deaths, not seriously injured or permanently maimed.

Unlike many other countries in Europe and in Australia and Canada, where cyclists are given respect by motorists and enjoy significant protection by law, South African cyclists carry a huge risk each time they set out on the road.

After cycling most of his life, Shaun Hannie stopped at age 30 to focus on building his business. Twelve years later, in 2003, he won a bicycle in a Tour de France competition and he began cycling again only discover the roads were a lot more dangerous as a result of significantly increased traffic volumes. In January this year, Graham Cooper and Sybrandt van Dyk were killed while cycling on the popular Lido route in the south of Joburg. This prompted Hannie, who lives in the area and rides the same roads, to start Sign-Up.

HOW EXACTLY DOES ‘SIGN-UP’ WORK?

We aim to raise safety awareness among all road users by erecting warning signs along the most popular cycling training routes. To achieve this we have to rely on donations and sponsorship from the cycling community, as the local and national authorities do not have sufficient funds in their budgets to assist us. Once sufficient funds have been raised to purchase signs, we then submit a map with the proposed route to the national and local road authorities that then survey the route to recommend safe placement of the signs. Once these routes have been surveyed and positions for the signs established, they then assist in erecting the signs.

ye signs tell the driver there are cyclist, problem is not always driver not know, it's mostly they can't be bother, they don't care, read the other thread 2-3 days ago, where a truck was pulled over by traffic cops, just after the truck nearly took the cyclist out, truck drivers comment, cyclist have no rights on the road, and next time he'll simply ride over the cyclist, now this indicates the biggest problem of drivers, be that taxi's truck and in this case even the cops, they did nothing, they did not indicate to the driver you basically just threatened the guys life, as illegal as doing it.

our biggest problem in the country is not law's it is the lack of respect for the laws, and then the lack of enforcement of the laws, with proper punishment.

HOW MANY SIGNS SO FAR AND WHERE?

To date, over 60 signs have been erected along the Lido and other training routes in the south of Joburg and over 50 signs near the Cradle of Humankind/Lion Park Route in the northwest of Joburg. In the upcoming weeks 12 signs will be erected in the Centurion/Pretoria south areas. Plans are underway to erect signs in Port Elizabeth and Cape Town with funding in place. We’re just awaiting written approval from the Nelson Mandela Metro and the Western Cape roads authorities.

HOW DO THE SIGNS MAKE CYCLING SAFER?

Firstly by warning motorists that cyclists are present and that they should approach more carefully and also that their liability in case of a collision with a cyclist increases significantly simply because they have been specifically warned to look out for cyclists.

IS THERE A DECLINE IN ACCIDENTS ON ROUTES WHERE YOU HAVE HAD SIGNS ERECTED?

No scientific surveys have been conducted, but according to the many cyclists who train on both the Lido and Cradle of Humankind routes in Gauteng, motorists and especially truck drivers, have been a lot more courteous and have afforded them a whole lot more road space when passing.

WHAT HAS THE RESPONSE BEEN LIKE FROM:

THE CYCLISTS?

This group has been appreciative of the fact that these signs will assist in reducing, if not stopping the needless deaths and injuries. Having said that, the signs erected thus far have all been paid for by a minority of cyclists who do care about their own safety and that of other cyclists. We would be able to achieve much more if the majority assisted financially.

THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES?

This has been a mixed-reaction group whereby their first reaction is that there is no room for cyclists on the roads and once the rights of cyclists have been explained, they loosen up and have been a tremendous help especially with erecting signs. Ekurhuleni, for example, has erected and paid for over 20 signs on Swartkoppies Road in Alberton.

THE MEDIA IN GENERAL?

The community newspapers have really helped by creating exposure for this initiative. I have also been interviewed by Jon Gerricke on his sports programme on SAfm.

THE NATIONAL AUTHORITIES?

The national authorities generally have been problematic in firstly granting permission and secondly to have their departments assist with erecting of signs. The Gauteng Roads Department and especially a John Falkner have been very helpful in getting this initiative off the ground.

YOUR CAMPAIGN BEGAN CLOSE TO HOME. WHAT ARE THE OBSTACLES TO ACHIEVING NATIONAL SUCCESS?

Finding people in other centres with the same assion and drive that I have to get this initiative started in their own centres. On my own, I am unable to manage dealing with all the local and national authorities.

HOW CAN THIS BE OVERCOME?

I believe we need to tackle this at government level whereby the MEC’s can liaise with the various local and national authorities so that they all have the same understanding as to what Sign-Up is aiming to achieve and offer their assistance.

CAN CYCLE RACES GET INVOLVED IN SIGN-UP?

This is the only way that Sign-Up can achieve national success as the biggest stumbling block is funding. If the major cycle tours can offer their assistance in raising funds we can roll out cycle safe signs a lot faster and save a lot more lives.

As an example, if the Cape Argus Pick ’n Pay Cycle Tour offers to donate R5 per entry fee and if 35 000 people enter, we will have R175 000 to purchase 437 signs. If the other major races like Amashova and 94.7 do the same, we will be able to have signs posted on all the major training routes across South Africa.

HOW CAN CORPORATES WITH AN INTEREST IN CYCLING GET INVOLVED?

The most obvious is fundraising. To date corporates such as Probike have sponsored cycling equipment, which we have offered as prizes to raise funds for our initiative.

HOW CAN THE AVERAGE CYCLIST/BICYCLING READER GET INVOLVED IN SIGN-UP?

By becoming ambassadors of cycle safety and encouraging fellow cyclists to act responsibly and to identify routes where signs can be erected. Sponsorship once again will also assist.

DO YOU THINK CYCLISTS WILL EVER BE GIVEN THE RESPECT THEY DESERVE FROM MOTORISTS IN SOUTH AFRICA?

I believe that the biggest enemy of cyclists is cyclists themselves. We (cyclists) need to start acting responsibly by adhering to the rules of the road. If we start by obeying the rules that are there to protect us, only then will motorists start respecting us. Sign-Up will also assist in ongoing road safety education of both motorists and cyclists.

WHEN DO YOU BELIEVE YOU’LL BE SATISFIED WITH THE SUCCESS OF SIGN-UP?

I am already satisfied as I have exceeded my expectations in such a short time frame. If, through Sign-Up, I help save only one life (hopefully these signs will save a lot more than that), then I am achieving my main objective, which is to save lives.

Burry may your spirit live on through all South Africans out on the trail, you will Never stop inspiring us... R.I.P

Someone, some pages back, suggested sharing stories about Burry. Here's mine…

I remember Burry from 11 or 12 years ago when I was still racing in SA, he was the junior with the distinctive bent over flat back riding style who used to race XC on the Saturday and then race DH on the Sunday at national and provincial level, not many could this and clearly then he had world class potential. Charles his dad was much the same and would also do both XC and DH races on the same weekend. I had the pleasure of traveling to World Masters champs with Burry’s dad who was the SA team manager, what a nice down to earth guy he was. In 2011 we met Burry and Cherise at a race in Switzerland where Burry finished on the podium, we sat down together and had a nice chat, he gave the bouquet of flowers he received on the podium to my wife. What struck me at the time was what a down to earth couple they were.

My wife and I cannot believe it and we keep thinking how terrible it must be for Cherise, Cherise if you see this please know that we hope you will continue flying the Stander and SA flag on the mtb in future, we will support you 1000% the whole way, do it for Burry.

The “little guy” who did such a good job of proudly flying the SA flag and helped us to be proud of being South African…man I’m going miss your exploits big guy….