Tribute to Burry

mrbaker

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone in the Western Cape keen to pay tribute to Burry can visit the cairn 20 we built at the top of Groenlandberg,Grabouw in February. We put up some Tibetan prayer flags as well as some laminated photos with messages.

While it's not an easy ride to get to the top of the Groenlandberg, we thought it was the appropriate location.

The rock pile is growing. Take a ride up there, place a stone and reflect in your own way , surrounded by spectacular vistas.

post-17562-0-14249900-1379322402_thumb.jpg

post-17562-0-23131100-1379322410_thumb.jpg

post-17562-0-19451300-1379322417_thumb.jpg

post-17562-0-99300300-1379322424_thumb.jpg

post-17562-0-21666100-1379322433_thumb.jpg

Anyone in the Western Cape keen to pay tribute to Burry can visit the cairn 20 we built at the top of Groenlandberg,Grabouw in February. We put up some Tibetan prayer flags as well as some laminated photos with messages.

While it's not an easy ride to get to the top of the Groenlandberg, we thought it was the appropriate location.

The rock pile is growing. Take a ride up there, place a stone and reflect in your own way , surrounded by spectacular vistas.

will do that in the very near future

Hi Kandui, how do I get to the top of Groenlandberg? Don't know Grabouw at all.

Either from Nuweberg Forestry Station. The gate is right opposite and it's one way up.

The tougher route is from Lebanon Village side, but to explain the route is not so easy.

Drop me a PM when you're ready to go and I will give a detailed route description.

• 4 weeks later...

We held a 100km adventure race in the area last weekend. it was quite brutal with a serious storm lashing the cape. we canned the 2am paddle start and instead let them begin with a 4am mtb ride. it was pretty bleak up top groenlandberg, but all paid their dues to Burry - we had a checkpoint clip at the intersection/memorial. those flags have taken a pounding this winter!

1379749_540479106032620_704800876_n.jpg

I think he would have been a damn decent adventure racer. The big 500km expedition africa event in 2014 is in his valley, start/finish at port edward.

you ohs make me sad I think the best tribute we can make is to appreciate the legacy he left us and if you look at the young talent in our country its all a reflection of the legend look at the heart Rourke showed at the world cup that was a youngster taking a page out of Burrys book look no one can replace Burry but I have found a interest in the xc again and will be shouting loud and proud for the youngster next year. cant believe it makes me so sad

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...