Cyclists' Safety in the light of Burry and other's recent deaths - Merged Thread.

Guest Heino

... when many cannot even be bothered to wear a @#$^* helmet!!! angry.png

Do you know how many families go out cycling with not a single helmet to be seen?

Yesterday I saw a father cycling with an 18 month-old baby in a child seat and neither wearing a helmet.

If any of these shmucks get killed in a minor accident the poor motorist needs to live with the guilt for the rest of his/her life.

If YOU don't care about your own safety, why would anyone else?!

It is time that the law gets laid down for cyclists and motorists alike. I don't care if you ride a road or mountain bike, cleats or platforms, long stem, short stem, buffalo ears, baggies or lycra - none of this matters. What matters is that you wear your f-ing helmet and teach your kids to do the same!

**Rant off**

Agreed. +1

And the fact thet this country is not the normal type of environment you find in Europe or USA, so you have to be super defensive and take extra precautions. If you dont get this then you will always be staring down the barrel of a gun.

Its like swimming in the sea with great whites off CTN. If one or two bathers get chomped then so be it, its the laws of natural selection applying.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw a few guys at the Burry memorial ride in Stellies as well without helmets. The guys were a group of about 5 and they seem to think they are TdF contenders with the gear they were riding...Scott bikes and caps.

You could see that these guys are keen cyclists so I can only imagine that they think not wearing a helmet makes them cooler and better than other cyclist...poepholle!

and this after they asked all cyclists to please wear helmets...

the law is the law. Why should it only apply to people who can afford it?

Exactly. Seems the law only applies to the middleclass.

I think that is true in an ideal world. Perhaps the ANC can give out helmets instead of T-shirts before the next elections whistling.gif

Why? ANC voters are already brain dead. Nothing there to protect.

I give all my old helmets to people who can't afford to buy one. They take and I never see them wear it. Another law that can't be policed by a speed camera.

Yes, you guys have a point. EVERYONE must wear their helmets. What is needed is legislation, and enforcement thereof, to control bikes in this country. They are, after all, vehicles too. Didn't there used to be bicycle licenses? Cyclists should also be fined when they break the law.

In fact, if you are caught without a helmet, the bike should be confiscated. Fine to get it back should be a certain percentage of the bike's value.

Of course, all this would require traffic cops to get off their fat bums and actually do some work, so chances of this working is like zero?

Edited by Delilah

I give all my old helmets to people who can't afford to buy one.

My last old helmet was stolen by someone who couldn't afford one. So I rate I did my part.

My sister & parents, drove past the scene at around 17h00 (coming back from the beach), and saw Burry on the ground & his mangled bike (they did not see the actual incident happen), my sister said it was terrible to see, a real tragedy.

I have become rather selfish and one sided towards myself.

Too many times in the past i would make a subtle "where is the helmet comment" and things nearly end up in fisticuffs.

So I decided and took the attitude that if they don't care about their own heads ,then it really isn't my problem, I have my own problems and worries to take care of let alone try and convince some doofus that they need to wear a helmet.

I have become rather selfish and one sided towards myself.

Too many times in the past i would make a subtle "where is the helmet comment" and things nearly end up in fisticuffs.

Exactly why I no longer bother saying anything to them either. Why is it always the a-hole not wearing his helmet?

Agreed, do if I can't afford to service the brakes on my car, is that ok?

Ummm no. Your cars unserviceability is a danger to other road users, your pip ohne helmet has no negative effect on other road users.

Edited by SwissVan

Exactly why I no longer bother saying anything to them either. Why is it always the a-hole not wearing his helmet?

pretty much answered your own question there

Ummm no. Your cars serviceability is a danger to other road users, your pip ohne helmet has no negative effect on other road users.

I don't like your logic! ;)

If I accident ly bumped a cyclist softly and he was wearing a helmet, he should be ok. If he was not, he might have died, then I have a world of **** and maybe even jail time (which is a death sentence)

Thanks Garfiled but will it pass my house ?

Why cant the Lotto give a grant and have 30km bike tarmac training loops built all around the country?