Cyclists' Safety in the light of Burry and other's recent deaths - Merged Thread.

Guest Heino

Joe Low has the simplest definition. Blue signs with white text are used on freeways, green signs with white test are used on national roads. You can (legally) ride where there are green signs, but not where there are blue signs.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I have also found that, if I pull up alongside a taxi at the robot, I'll comment to the gaatjie on the weather or something, how hot it must be driving around all day, whatever. I find they always find they're particularly considerate then, if we're on the same route.

Indeed, of course there are exceptions to the rule but in general they are just doing a days work, and, like you and me, would like to finish off the day with as little drama as possible.

I cycle at the same time on much the same route daily, hence I see many familiar faces in cars doing like wise, a few weeks back I saw a taxi wanting to turn, I had right of way but I was in no hurry so I waved him through. A few days later I was travelling up the same road and was in the lane waiting to turn when I saw the same taxi pull up in front of me and with a big grin, waved me through - look for the best in people, theres a lot of good out there.

I'll agree that I often find taxis more respectful than other drivers. I think too that, driving in heavy traffic all day as they do, they might also be more skilled than we give them credit for. Many of their moves are fairly well calculated

+1

Head up, head down , the fact remains another cyclist has been killed by a bloody Taxi, the problem being" what we can really do about it to make a REAL difference" that benefit all of us , 3 months ago I was in a similar position being struck by a Taxi just turning in front of me " I didnt see u , was the reply , was doing about 40km/hr, fortunately only cost me a frame"not my life" The Taxi driver could not have given a toss.I think the armbands and like are really great and noble but it is not going to change a thing to our situation as cyclists on SA roads.Possibly well organised mass protest rides, its time for a active stance not a passive one.cursing.gif

Remember the girl that was mowed down by a taxi on purpose. I don`t know where it is that taxis are so careful and drives so well, from what I have seen with my own eyes, many of these taxis drive extremely carelessly. You never got hit by a taxi? Well then they must be safer drivers than the rest! Who are we kidding?

+1.

4-way stops and circles seem to be a weak point for our drivers... [some of them] they seem to consider it a privilege for us to be allowed to enter it.

Perhaps the day roadies start obeying the rules of the road and use robots and stops as they are intended might we get motorists to change their attitude.

I see as many cyclists break the law as taxis.

Joe Low has the simplest definition. Blue signs with white text are used on freeways, green signs with white test are used on national roads. You can (legally) ride where there are green signs, but not where there are blue signs.

Good guideline but not always correct.

No.

Also, because it's illegal, you really need to read the fine print on your medical aid and life insurance, because, surprise surprise, they may not cover you and pay out if you partook in an illegal activity.

TNT please go read the AARTO rules see what is legal and what not.

Highway is not mentioned. What do you see as a highway ? If is is every dual cartridge way then you are wrong.

On certain section of a N road is classified as a Freeway.

And road can be a freeway even a R road.

The R27 in CPT is a dual cartridge way but NOT a freeway.

Actually forget it, keep saying no to everything it is easier to live uninformed in a bubble

I am out if here

Remember the girl that was mowed down by a taxi on purpose. I don`t know where it is that taxis are so careful and drives so well, from what I have seen with my own eyes, many of these taxis drive extremely carelessly. You never got hit by a taxi? Well then they must be safer drivers than the rest! Who are we kidding?
that incident has more to it. Apparently there was a physical altercation between the two parties and the taxi feared for his safety and drove away...the woman tried to stop the guy and it escalated from there. Not sure how true. But read that somewhere.

Perhaps the day roadies start obeying the rules of the road and use robots and stops as they are intended might we get motorists to change their attitude.

I see as many cyclists break the law as taxis.

Not that it vindicates the cyclists but the roadies are not in control of a ton or more of metal.

But lets face facts, even the so called law (traffic and SAPS) are afraid of the taxi drivers and their band of merry muppets so there is small wonder these guys just do what they want without any fear of consequences.

Taxi taxi taxi...... Is your house going to clean itself, your garden going to mow the lawn?? Is 90% of the work force just going to fly/walk to work?? Did not think so! this government has made taxis the only option due to a totally non existent public transportation system for any one to use, so while they do drive like total idiots (some of them ) It's not like we can do without them, change is needed no doubt, but when I still rode my super bike I got taken out once by a woman who DID NoT SEE ME , and nearly nearly by a elderly chap, who clearly should not have been driving, I just wonder how all these stories would be told if it was a mother of 3 driving to the shops!! Again this is the saddest story but just saying " typical taxi" not the way to look at it.

TNT please go read the AARTO rules see what is legal and what not.

Highway is not mentioned. What do you see as a highway ? If is is every dual cartridge way then you are wrong.

On certain section of a N road is classified as a Freeway.

And road can be a freeway even a R road.

The R27 in CPT is a dual cartridge way but NOT a freeway.

Actually forget it, keep saying no to everything it is easier to live uninformed in a bubble

I am out if here

You seem to have, a short attention span, a inability to spell and to understand what you read.

Please go and read my earlier posting defining different surfaced roads. Please read the WHOLE posting attentively and try to understand. Take breaks to rest if it becomes to much, then come back and tell us what you missed regarding freeways.

Definition by the Institute of Civil Engineers.......

Freeway: This is a divided major roadway with full control of access and with no crossings at grade. This definition applies to toll as well as tollfree roads.

Freeway A: This designated roadways with greater visual complexity and high traffic volumes. Usually this type of freeway will be found in metropolitan areas in or near the central core and will operate through much of the early evening hours of darkness at or near design capacity.

Freeway B: This designates all other divided roadways with full control of access where lighting is needed.

A bit too much for Niner I suppose as well

Not that it vindicates the cyclists but the roadies are not in control of a ton or more of metal.

But lets face facts, even the so called law (traffic and SAPS) are afraid of the taxi drivers and their band of merry muppets so there is small wonder these guys just do what they want without any fear of consequences.

eek.gif seriously?

Taxi taxi taxi...... Is your house going to clean itself, your garden going to mow the lawn?? Is 90% of the work force just going to fly/walk to work?? Did not think so! this government has made taxis the only option due to a totally non existent public transportation system for any one to use, so while they do drive like total idiots (some of them ) It's not like we can do without them, change is needed no doubt, but when I still rode my super bike I got taken out once by a woman who DID NoT SEE ME , and nearly nearly by a elderly chap, who clearly should not have been driving, I just wonder how all these stories would be told if it was a mother of 3 driving to the shops!! Again this is the saddest story but just saying " typical taxi" not the way to look at it.

I agree, there are good and bad taxi drivers, car drivers and cyclist, we all blame each other rather than focus on what we can do right.

I agree murder case to be investigated, I agree laws must change but most of all attitudes are the real issue, no authority can fix that

Let me ask, and be now dead honest to yourself, how many of us have a habit to look in our left mirror when we turn left into a side road from a single lane road? If you can say yes good for you, if not, we'll sad to say you (me) could well have been that unfortunate taxi driver.