MTB Trail Rules - Do ascending riders have right of way?

Tokoloshe

The Braamfontein spruit was very busy yesterday. I've never seen so many MTB'ers out there. Which poses some challenge as the trail is dual direction.

I was riding up (southerly direction) and started a bit late so most people were coming down. On many ascents going south, riders coming in the other direction (obviously at speed, descending) made no effort to move off the trail.

My understanding of hte unwritten trail rules of MTB-ing say that ascending riders have right of way, as emphasised recently by Mr Tread on Twitter (@Mr_TREAD).

What are the views on this...??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMBA rules:

Yield Appropriately: Do your utmost to let your fellow trail users know you’re coming — a friendly greeting or bell ring are good methods. Try to anticipate other trail users as you ride around corners. Bicyclists should yield to other non-motorized trail users, unless the trail is clearly signed for bike-only travel. Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic. In general, strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.

That should clear it up for you.

ek stem nie saam...dis makliker om jou lyn te verander as jy op gaan. as jy besig is om af te gaan en daar is een helse gat in die pad dan gaan ek definitief nie my lyn verander vir iemand wat besig is om op te kom nie

I say descending riders have right of way for many reasons and this topic has been flogged to death but here is my 2 cents.

MTB is most enjoyable tearing downhill on ST and it sucks to have your rythmn broken for dudes coming uphill. I am very happy to yield for guys going down when i go up as i know when it comes my turn to descend i can rip it up.

Secondly when u going downhill you generally cannot hear or see or sometimes even stop in time for someone coming up as you are generally totally focused on the track, thus the guys going up whom are moving slower have time and have the control and space to move out the way.

I say descending riders have right of way for many reasons and this topic has been flogged to death but here is my 2 cents.

MTB is most enjoyable tearing downhill on ST and it sucks to have your rythmn broken for dudes coming uphill. I am very happy to yield for guys going down when i go up as i know when it comes my turn to descend i can rip it up.

Secondly when u going downhill you generally cannot hear or see or sometimes even stop in time for someone coming up as you are generally totally focused on the track, thus the guys going up whom are moving slower have time and have the control and space to move out the way.

Fully agree.

You might like it that way, but it goes against the general conventions and MTB bodies views as quoted earlier.

In my view it is easier when going downhill to move over for the person going uphill. I can get my stride back easily after moving over, but when your stride gets broken going uphill it can be harder to get back on the gas.

If 29er's have right of way, 26er's have to move off the path, what do 650b's do?ph34r.png

In my view it is easier when going downhill to move over for the person going uphill. I can get my stride back easily after moving over, but when your stride gets broken going uphill it can be harder to get back on the gas.

If 29er's have right of way, 26er's have to move off the path, what do 650b's do?ph34r.png

they should buy a real bike devil.gif

Would like to see someone with a conti raceking front tire swerving out when going downhill.

sounds like Karma's opinion of the small block 8's

what rubbish. clearly you havent had to try and restart your ride on an ascending incline after some Starvasshole has come tearing down it with no regard for others.

rule is as old as the hills.newbies to the sport will disagree those of us who have done it for 20 odd years will know .

always give way to those coming up . simple it's easier to get going again if you going downhill not so easy if you climbing .

this is the same as the off road 4x4 rule .

also rode the spruit this weekend and it would be so nice if people would keep left and approaching riders keep to their left .

but hay this is not a perfect world we live in and most of the spruit riders don't know the basic etiquette rules.

Edited by Iron