Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

Question: If you have a mate in the UK, can you send him money, let him buy a bike there for you then, DHL the bike to SA as a "gift"? Or would you still pay import taxes and all that jazz? How much would it cost roughly to DHL a bike to SA?

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: If you have a mate in the UK, can you send him money, let him buy a bike there for you then, DHL the bike to SA as a "gift"? Or would you still pay import taxes and all that jazz? How much would it cost roughly to DHL a bike to SA?

DHL specifically? A moer of a lot.

Sold a bike to a guy in Aus...

DHL: R18k, 4-5 days

Air Freight: R12k, 4-5 days

Insured, registered postage: R1k, 14-21 days

Gift above a certain amount still has tax on it.

I think it's anything above 3k will have normal import duties attached to it.

I think it's anything above 3k will have normal import duties attached to it.

Can't remember 100%, but I'm sure the 2 x Bionicon c.guides my sister posted to me had some tax on it. Or it was something else, but the value was way less than R3k.

I could be right, though...

JEEESH! Ah, ***k it.

Reason I was asking, if had to drop the cash on a new bike, it would work out less if you had to buy it overseas (not including the import tax raping) and the options are basically limitless compared to SA.

The only other option seem like you will have to book a trip there then buy the bike, ride it a few times then bring over as "luggage".

Edited by BearManGuy

Guest Omega Man

The only other option seem like you will have to book a trip there then buy the bike, ride it a few times then bring over as "luggage".

Now we're thinking.

If you are clever you can buy a rental bike from one of the bike shops in the resorts. They usually replace all the drive train components and wrap the frames in inner tube to protect them while they are being rented out so you can get a good bike pretty cheap.

Saw a few Scott Genius's for 900 Euro and a couple of Morewood Izimu's for 900-1000 Euro the other day.

This dude was riding during last week... I think it may have been a last ditch attempt at getting a farewell ride in!

And just when I fork out on new items.