braailegend

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Hairy said:

nope .... 

Well apart form the 4 bar, they could fit a cover and the shock would also be hidden.

12 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

similar shock mounting to the new scott

The only c'dales I've ever wanted was those from the 90s.

If I'm going to have a bike with a X2 Ka$hima, I want that thing to be visible. Yes, I'm a gearslut.

I quite like the quirky Cannondale and it sounds like it works well. The PB review cites excessive idler/chain noise in the lowest gears which puts me off a bit though.  Its also quite heavy for a full carbon bike, then again it does have those big wheels...I'm also not convinced by the rush to high pivot/idler bike designs, It smacks of faddish marketing based on alleged performance benefits in certain situations, based in turn on the performance of top class riders, eg Pierron who would be fast on any bike. 

On another note - see how the Scott Spark launch article makes front page here for weeks... no such Cannondale marketing going on, even world wide where its been quite low key. That said, Bike Network at least covered the release of the Jekyll. 

I am not a fan.

It looks unnecessarily complicated and has too many moving parts for my tastes. 

The thing about Cannondales is that they have so many proprietary parts and in the current environment with shipping and export being a hack as well as global stock shortages, it would be wise to have the most common replaceable/wear and tear parts available.

Buying into a brand and it's quirks isn't the same anymore. Being left with a bike gatherin dust because I can't replace a pulley/chainring/clamp or having to have one manufactured just to get rolling again would annoy me.

I'm sure it's cool, but in this day and age being 'different' or 'boutique' etc is just likely going to cause headaches

37 minutes ago, Headshot said:

On another note - see how the Scott Spark launch article makes front page here for weeks... no such Cannondale marketing going on, even world wide where its been quite low key. That said, Bike Network at least covered the release of the Jekyll. 

I would assume Scott have a far LARGER marketing budget

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

I am not a fan.

It looks unnecessarily complicated and has too many moving parts for my tastes. 

The thing about Cannondales is that they have so many proprietary parts and in the current environment with shipping and export being a hack as well as global stock shortages, it would be wise to have the most common replaceable/wear and tear parts available.

Buying into a brand and it's quirks isn't the same anymore. Being left with a bike gatherin dust because I can't replace a pulley/chainring/clamp or having to have one manufactured just to get rolling again would annoy me.

I'm sure it's cool, but in this day and age being 'different' or 'boutique' etc is just likely going to cause headaches

Is there really anything so propriety about the design.

The idler is just a pulley wheel and the shock just has a cover, the cover can be considered a frame part like any other bike which is specific to that brand and bike frame.

Bearings are bearings in the linkages.

27 minutes ago, Hairy said:

The real joke is that you can not find the bike on the SA Cannondale Website.

https://www.cannondale.com/en-za/bikes/mountain

I saw they were advertising it on the PB home page a few days ago. When I clicked, the site showed the old Jekyll and only lower down the new models. Eish, Cannondale.  

31 minutes ago, Hairy said:

The idler is just a pulley wheel and the shock just has a cover, the cover can be considered a frame part like any other bike which is specific to that brand and bike frame.

I think there are fewer proprietary parts on this bike than a Scalpel. No weird cranks, forks and such like.

33 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Yeah, pretty standard, especially compared to previous models.

The design though is unnecessarily complicated. I can only imagine that cavity adds a few 100 g to the frame (same as the Spez swat box adds around 200-300 g iirc), and there really is no real benefit. BUT, manufacturers have to find something to set their bikes/design apart from the rest of the looks-like-session crowd.