braailegend

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

That is quite nice, I must say. 

If, insurance pays out, I am caught between wanting a Enduro worthey bike, and a trailbike that will make my everyday trails fun.. I had a 135mm/150mm bike, and it was pretty capable, but on the fast steep stuff It was still out of its depth.. 

Is 150mm at the back to much to pedal around? I do have 2 x wheelsets, (one lightweight and one solid) and Im not exactly doing 50km marathon rides lately, I just want to get to the top fine. 

The answer, I guess Is that it totally depends on bike and Geo.

They will probably only pay out about R25000 If Im lucky. So I'm going to have to go pretty budget on the suspension parts. But will rather build up again, since I can at least pick and choose. 

Will probably get a Pike again (there is 2 in classifieds) since I now have all the tools to bleed them and tune the shim-stacks etc, I know I can make them feel good enough. The rear will probably not be a piggyback shock straight away.

But It will do for a start. Probably have a bunch of lower end stuff that I can upgrade over time again.. sigh..

But It would afford me the opportunity to jump to a more Gnar-worthey frame for sure. 

post-1279-0-92005900-1576229630_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The Enduro is winning the group tests everywhere. Seems that ever so slight rearward axle path is the thing. Got me thinking about suspension design and I finally understood why a high pivot design would have an advantage in this department. That said, the Spaz pivot is not really higher, just far further forward. I'm not a fan of the look of that linkage system however - very messy and apparently attracts dirt like nothing else. END_041_Winner_BiT-1140x760.jpg

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=39840&pagenum=916#commentid6798738

Homemade carbon fibre frame update:

p5pb15875234.jpg

After riding for over 2 years in the above setup I decided it was time for the geometry to be updated. So decided to make a new steel front triangle utilising the original homemade swing arm - I've always liked the idea of a carbon fibre/steel mix.

p5pb18127657.jpg

Updated geometry:
HA: 63º
STA: 76º
CS: 430mm
Reach: 450mm
Travel (f/r): 160/140mm