Gear for Enduro 2.0

DR ◣◢

Yeah I dont trust these rubber pads that claim to harden on impact. I just dont believe that. However the ones that have a full cup, should work for lite usage.

like these

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360108372/Race-Face-Charge-Sub-Zero-Leg-Protector-Cycling-Body-Armour-Black-2015-AA566002.jpg?w=700&h=700&a=7

Edited by Eddy Gordo

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja. Those G Forms are GREAT. Until you actually need a kneepad.

The G-Form pads are the only ones that I could find that fits. Their large is on the brink of being too tight.

One brand size "Large" I could not even get on.

Ja. Those G Forms are GREAT. Until you actually need a kneepad.

hahaha, actually they aren't that nice before either - bunch up behind the knee according to my wife...

Yeah I dont trust these rubber pads that claim to harden on impact. I just dont believe that. However the ones that have a full cup, should work for lite usage.

like these

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360108372/Race-Face-Charge-Sub-Zero-Leg-Protector-Cycling-Body-Armour-Black-2015-AA566002.jpg?w=700&h=700&a=7

Enduro MTB mag did some proper impact tests and found that the 661's ( and probably other impact hardening pads) actually provided quite good impact protection. They dropped a weight on them and measured the force transmitted. That said, I have felt much pain through through my heaver pads too. I have also heard of people fracturing knee caps with DH pads on.  It all depends on numerous variables

The G-Form pads are the only ones that I could find that fits. Their large is on the brink of being too tight.

One brand size "Large" I could not even get on.

I have a set of XLs, they too are on the verge of being too tight.

Glad they didn't have large in stock which forced me to go look at the sizing

Enduro MTB mag did some proper impact tests and found that the 661's ( and probably other impact hardening pads) actually provided quite good impact protection. They dropped a weight on them and measured the force transmitted. That said, I have felt much pain through through my heaver pads too. I have also heard of people fracturing knee caps with DH pads on.  It all depends on numerous variables

Indeed, just depends on what you riding and what you land on. 

Work in the medical field, even these puppies made out of carbon fibre carry disclaimers that there's no guarantee that you will not injure your knee wearing them.

There are so many variables as mentioned before!

http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/05/26/92432/s1200_Screen_Shot_2015_05_26_at_5.50.54_PM.jpg

penetrative tests or blunt force impact testing?

Shattered knee was from riding knee pads that at best, offered protection from abrasive damage, not blunt force impact protection. That is, there was apparently no hard shell within the knee pad.

Also, let's not brush everything under the 'numerous variables' rug, because that creates the false impression that protection against probable injury is unachievable because the type of probable impact is nebulous. That is just not true for many impact types. Why bother with helmets then?

So (not directed at you Headshot. I'm very sure you are well aware of the following) what are plausible modes of damage that cyclists typically need protection against:

• abrasion
  • blunt force impact 
  • sharp force/penetrative impact
  • torsional and/or bending moments

points 2 and 3 IMO, can be split rather roughly into primary and secondary impacts. Primary being the initial contact with whatever, and secondary impacts could be all subsequent contact with the whatever.

The abrasive protection depends on the toughness of the fabric used. Most manufacturers use a weave including kevlar. Abrasive protection also hinges upon the ability of the pads to remain in place during a crash, and that in turn depends upon method of attachment.

Blunt force impact protection aims to spread the load or increase the time of deceleration. The latter is where G-form, and foam layers come in. Hard shells also help spread the load impact thus reducing the pressure of the impact force.

hard shells act to mostly to mitigate sharp force impacts. I'm not sure how well g-form, D30 other such materials that harden upon impact, deal with penetrative loads.

The last form of impact damage is best mitigated by heavily engineered products like MX-type knee braces. They incorporate levers and mechanisms that limit probably bending and torsion loads that lead to dislocations and/or ligament damage. Ironically, most wear these types of braces AFTER they've blown their ligaments :P (guilty as charged)

While not exhaustive, if one keeps these 4 main impact loads in mind, and your desired set of pads largely covers at least the first three types of impact, or all of those bases to various degrees, you are well set in terms of reasonable levels of protection. No one, anyway, is ever going to claim complete protection. 

Edited by Capricorn

I hear you Capricorn. The amount of ventilation looks pretty similar to similar helmets and like you said the wrap around is the only difference or extra.

Here some pics to get a better perspective

attachicon.giflid.jpg

The bell has the mos holes, but the other 2 have larger holes

Loving my new Lid

obligatory Couch Photo

post-16067-0-51373100-1487402269_thumb.jpg

been using these for a year,fell in rockgardens,roadgaps and my knees are fine,raceface digs are about 700

very light and takes heavy hits

post-82521-0-89801400-1487402925_thumb.jpg

I really rate the Leatt 3df pads. After my first crash in them I realised that I didn't tighten the top strap enough. Operator error. After the berating the operator operations have resumed with more satisfying results.

I fell wearing these on the Ezelduro ss3. I fell into what can as best be described as a meteor shower. Abrasions on my hands, elbows hip and shin, with severe bone bruising on the shin. (It swelled up badly, and stayed swollen for a week.) The Leatt pad had a rough scratch that run over the knee and ended in the shin abrasions. No damage to the knee.

Like I said, I really rate these knee pads. So much that I know have leatt elbow pads as well. I feel a bit like a wannabee Power Ranger wearing all the gear, but I have to admit that I am not 24 anymore.

Edited by PhilipV

My last couple of weeks of riding I saw my butt quite a lot....riding at Rotorua and pushing boundaries a bit.

I was silly the one day and went down a Grade 5 blind without putting my knee pads on (which was in my back pack) and then well I crashed:

post-24697-0-11237700-1487535314_thumb.jpg

The following weekend, another trail, blind, I crashed, LUCKILY had my knee pads on but they got a bit hurt. This crash also made me start thinking I might opt for a full face while riding trails here, had a bad face fall, those roots are lethal man..

post-24697-0-17282700-1487535380_thumb.jpg

Edit: Now I am in the market for new knee pads again, I will go with the same, if only I could fine them in stock somewhere <_<

Edited by hayleyearth

My last couple of weeks of riding I saw my butt quite a lot....riding at Rotorua and pushing boundaries a bit.

I was silly the one day and went down a Grade 5 blind without putting my knee pads on (which was in my back pack) and then well I crashed:

attachicon.gifIMG_20170205_154618.jpg

The following weekend, another trail, blind, I crashed, LUCKILY had my knee pads on but they got a bit hurt. This crash also made me start thinking I might opt for a full face while riding trails here, had a bad face fall, those roots are lethal man..

attachicon.gifIMG_20170212_220319.jpg

Edit: Now I am in the market for new knee pads again, I will go with the same, if only I could fine them in stock somewhere <_<

Chainreactioncycles for a full face,they've got some on clearance under 1k,also have some clearance on kneepads

Hectic, hopefully thats only bruising.

But DAMN!! I .... 

Rotorua....

Damn......

Look at some other options as, like raceface, IXS, bluegrass

The kevlar in teh covering material helps I think. My old KS pads are blemish free despite quite few abrasion incidents. What concerns me most about these fancy foam pads is the lack of a slippery tough outer cover. IMO the foam could well "grip" the ground like a tyre instead of sliding over it leading to the pad shifting and reducing its effectiveness.