Gear for Enduro 2.0

DR ◣◢

Review: Judge & Verdict - WTB's Most Aggressive Dry-Condition Tire Combo
Jul 18, 2019
by Richard Cunningham   Follow

Add to Favorites
p5pb17458105.jpg
p5pb17458098.jpg
pb-small.png Tired of slipping and sliding on your mid-summer dust? WTB's hyper-aggressive Verdict (left) and Judge combination will settle the score in your favor.

Like the book of that. Heavy but then I'm not a speed demon. As long as it doesn't act like an anchor on the bike for the downs then I'm not too bothered. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the book of that. Heavy but then I'm not a speed demon. As long as it doesn't act like an anchor on the bike for the downs then I'm not too bothered. 

I am using the Convict upfront and trailboss at the rear. Also very very nice, in wet and dry conditions

I am using the Convict upfront and trailboss at the rear. Also very very nice, in wet and dry conditions

how 'wet' do people actually ride on a day to day basis? I am wondering this as I never really ride in the rain and the WC soil drains pretty quick so that even riding a semi slick (link a minion SS) most of the year works fine. 

How does that combo of yours work for you? I'm looking for a fast rolling combo that sticks well. So the ultimate unicorn. :)  Summer is dry here and winter isn't a mud festival like the northern europe, BC and the like. 

how 'wet' do people actually ride on a day to day basis? I am wondering this as I never really ride in the rain and the WC soil drains pretty quick so that even riding a semi slick (link a minion SS) most of the year works fine. 

How does that combo of yours work for you? I'm looking for a fast rolling combo that sticks well. So the ultimate unicorn. :)  Summer is dry here and winter isn't a mud festival like the northern europe, BC and the like. 

A few months ago we were caught in very very wet conditions. The past few weeks, just wet spots here and there on different trails, besides the damp ground and slippery roots. But yes, majority of the spots drain sufficiently.

I am liking it alot in all honesty. I wanted another DeKaiser Projekt, mnt king combo, but these were cheaper, and I thought I would give them a go. Loads of grip on them and very predictable as well

Edited by Eddy Gordo

On a tyre related note, I have another Spez tyre that has developed a casing wobble, it has less than 200km on it.

It's a Slaughter in Grid casing. I'll see whether they entertain my warranty request, but I can't see myself spending money on spez tyres again. Not when Maxxis has been so solid, and with Trailtech resurrecting Onza in SA again we really don't need to sukkel with subpar sidewalls.

Specialized warranteed the Slaughter, but didn't have stock of Slaughter in Grid anymore. Swapped it with a 2.6 Eliminator in Grid casing. I now have front tyres for years, and will probably look at getting another SS type tyre in summer for the hardtail.

Galfer 223mm Oversize Wave Brake Rotor 

p5pb17478818.jpg

p5pb17482591.jpg
The 223mm diameter rotors measure 2mm thick.
p5pb17478821.jpg
Galfer also makes replacement brake pads that are available in a variety of compound for different riding conditions.

Features

• 223mm diameter, 2mm thick
• Price: $48 USD
• Stainless steel construction
• Galfer

bigquotes-left.png It takes a little more braking power to slow down big wheels, and now that 29" DH bikes exist the demand for larger rotors has increased. Galfer's 223mm Wave Rotors are claimed to deliver 15-20% more braking power compared to a 203mm rotor. They'll work with any wheel size, and use a standard 6-bolt mountain pattern, but they're not recommended for use on frames or forks with the older IS-style brake mount - postmount is the way to go here. Galfer also sells the brake caliper adaptor that's needed to run these extra-large rotors. It should be obvious, but you'll want to ensure you're putting them on a frame that can handle the extra stopping power.

The rotors come with a 6-month warranty, as long as you use them with Galfer's pads.

Ryder Innovation Slug Plug / Nutcracker / Slyder 

p5pb17478827.jpg

p5pb17478822.jpg
The Slug Plug is small enough that it's easy to justify carrying in even the most bare-bones repair kit.
p5pb17477771.jpg
The Slyder mounts under a water bottle cage and holds a Slug Plug and a CO2 cartridge. There's also an option that carries two CO2 cartridges.

Features

Slug Plug
• Includes 10 spare plus in a plastic case
• Presta valve core tool in handle
• Preloadable 
• MSRP: $10 USD
Nutcracker Mini Tool
• Valve core remover, holds spare valve
• Tubeless valve rim nut tool
• Disc pad spreader
Slyder
• Holds 25g CO2 cartridge and Slug Plug 
• Sleeves slide into spine and lock in place
• www.rydercycling.co.za

bigquotes-left.png Ryder Innovation has released at trio of handy, inexpensive little gadgets that are designed to help make it easier to fix a flat. The Slug Plug is a simple, lightweight tire plug tool that can be preloaded and slid onto the Slyder storage system for quick access. Ten plugs (five thick and five thin) are included with the tool in a small plastic case. 

Tubeless tire valve stem nuts can sometimes be difficult to tighten or loosen, especially if they've gotten covered with sealant, and not everyone carries a multi-tool with a set of pliers on it. That's where the Nutcracker Mini Tool comes in, and it also works as a brake pad spreader for those times when you accidentally squeeze your brake lever with the wheel off. Like the Slug Plug, it's very light, and won't take up much room in a pack.

Reverse Components Angle Spacer 

p5pb17477714.jpg
p5pb17477715.jpg

Features

• Reduces head angle by .5° 
• Compatible with 45° bearings
• Weight: 19 g (+/- 5% weight tolerance)
• Sits between fork crown and headset on tapered steerer
• Price: $14.99 USD
• www.reverse-components.com

bigquotes-left.png Want a slacker head angle without increasing your fork travel? Reverse Component's aluminum Angle Spacer is a 10mm high crown race that works with all cartridge bearings that have a 45° angle where the bearing contacts the race. It's simple to install, and the price makes it an easy way to do a little bike geometry experimentation without breaking the bank.

Anyone know,  if you can get a adjuster to change the fork offset? Ive got a 46 and need to get to 42 but not exactly keen on selling a fork and shelling out cash just to see if I can notice the difference. 

Anyone know,  if you can get a adjuster to change the fork offset? Ive got a 46 and need to get to 42 but not exactly keen on selling a fork and shelling out cash just to see if I can notice the difference. 

Nope. It's new uppers or lowers or wherever teh fork's offset is at. I'd just sell and change, tbh. 

Why do you NEED a 42 though? 

Galfer 223mm Oversize Wave Brake Rotor 

p5pb17478818.jpg

p5pb17482591.jpg
The 223mm diameter rotors measure 2mm thick.
p5pb17478821.jpg
Galfer also makes replacement brake pads that are available in a variety of compound for different riding conditions.

Features

• 223mm diameter, 2mm thick

• Price: $48 USD

• Stainless steel construction

• Galfer

bigquotes-left.pngIt takes a little more braking power to slow down big wheels, and now that 29" DH bikes exist the demand for larger rotors has increased. Galfer's 223mm Wave Rotors are claimed to deliver 15-20% more braking power compared to a 203mm rotor. They'll work with any wheel size, and use a standard 6-bolt mountain pattern, but they're not recommended for use on frames or forks with the older IS-style brake mount - postmount is the way to go here. Galfer also sells the brake caliper adaptor that's needed to run these extra-large rotors. It should be obvious, but you'll want to ensure you're putting them on a frame that can handle the extra stopping power.

The rotors come with a 6-month warranty, as long as you use them with Galfer's pads.

We should just skip this pussyfooting and go straight to dual rotors with 6 or 8 piston calipers. 

Nope. It's new uppers or lowers or wherever teh fork's offset is at. I'd just sell and change, tbh. 

Why do you NEED a 42 though? 

Thanks for the info. I don't NEED a 42 but the bike is spec'd with a 42 in the first place and there is always a need for new gear and playing about.  :D

You're in for a new CSU...

I'm not into incremental changes to things, but fork offset makes a big difference! Rode my Tranny with a 51mm offset, and then changed to a 41mm offset - changed the bike completely (in a very good way). I was lucky that my CSU needed to be replaced under warranty when I got the new bike. If it had not been for that I would rather just have sold the fork and bought a new one with the correct offset - way more cost efficient if you can sell your current fork.

Thanks for the info. I don't NEED a 42 but the bike is spec'd with a 42 in the first place and there is always a need for new gear and playing about.  :D

Ride it until it breaks, then change to a 42. unless you find one at a mega special deal. 

Ride it until it breaks, then change to a 42. unless you find one at a mega special deal. 

Best way. Not sure I'm flush enough to drop R15,000+on a couple of MM. 46 to 42. Maybe 51 to 42 would be more noticeable. MikeK from Pinkbike said he couldn't notice any difference in riding a 44 over a 46 recently.