LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Quick question, how long does the average fast take to get into Ketosis? Sorry if this was aksed before, I am now in 24hrs not even a Trace.

takes 3 to 4 days for me before the stick starts to go purple.

what maidenmole said... but... peestix will just show that you're producing ketones, not that you're using them as well - at least using ALL of them, so not the best test method

a properly ketotic individual could show zero ketosis using a peestick. ideally, you'll want to use a finger-prick test option. those are expensive though, but accurate. what the peestix WILL help with perhaps is showing that your diet is ketogenic at least - ie, you're producing ketones, but not necessarily using them.

my take is that if you're eating LCHF or even no carbs at all, you'll be mildly ketotic all the time, though a binge weekend will stuff that right up (how can you say no to your godson when he gives you a donut?)

Also, testing after an hour or two's work-out will show ketones, but that's not a great time to test, so rather don't - we all produce them during workouts, so no surprises there.

also, riding when fasting is fine. just keep hydrated and keep your electrolytes up (eat salt). When you get to day 3/4 of your fast and you've gotten over the stuffy headedness, you'll be in the place you want to be, ketosis-wise.

Don't be discouraged - fasting is very beneficial for a number of reasons. The biggest issue with fasting is trying to fill the time - no buying food, no cooking food, no eating food and no cleaning afterwards... but that's great.... go ride your bike!  :clap:

lastly, why are you fasting and how long do you plan on fasting? i presume, this is a water fast?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Guys,

Back to Banting in a big way - want to get at least 15 to 20 Kgs off starting today. I have some meal plans for LCHF but was just wondering if someone else had a link to a site that added some variety to my diet - theres the normal books etc but i just wanted to broaden the amount of recipes i had that i could use.

Any suggestions?

Guys,

Back to Banting in a big way - want to get at least 15 to 20 Kgs off starting today. I have some meal plans for LCHF but was just wondering if someone else had a link to a site that added some variety to my diet - theres the normal books etc but i just wanted to broaden the amount of recipes i had that i could use.

Any suggestions?

Try https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes - good place to start if you haven't checked it out already...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi all, need advice.

Restarted LCHF last week Monday after falling off the wagon for more than 18 months. I never got back to original max weight, but another 6 months might have done it.

After 10 days the hunger has (mostly) passed, and the Ketostix are dark purple. I understand that's not really definitive, and apparently they will be beige again when ketosis really gets going  (also they're about 2 years old and way out of date, but I figure that if they're showing a strong positive they still sort of work).

Now the thing is this: I've lost 1.5kgs in all this time. That's all!

The last time I did this, I recall the initial week being way more dramatic. Of course a fair amount of that great weight loss was water, but for days on end I was dropping nearly 1 kg/day.

This is very frustrating. I've cut carbs hard (not measuring, but excluding everything that looks like a carb). I'm keeping dairy to a minimum, except cream for coffee. No sugar at all.

Also skipping breakfasts, and having Knorr stock cube soup with dab of butter for lunch. Dinner is minimal size (not much protein, leafy salads).

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Keep at it is my advice. There are many benefits above the weightloss.

First time I did keto, it went well and was similar to your experience. Also fell off the wagon, and when i restarted, it was ALSO as you've found... Then I discovered fasting, and from there things picked up and I dropped about 12kg in 6 weeks.

Keep at it is my advice. There are many benefits above the weightloss.

First time I did keto, it went well and was similar to your experience. Also fell off the wagon, and when i restarted, it was ALSO as you've found... Then I discovered fasting, and from there things picked up and I dropped about 12kg in 6 weeks.

Interesting!

How do you do it?

Hi all, need advice.

Restarted LCHF last week Monday after falling off the wagon for more than 18 months. I never got back to original max weight, but another 6 months might have done it.

After 10 days the hunger has (mostly) passed, and the Ketostix are dark purple. I understand that's not really definitive, and apparently they will be beige again when ketosis really gets going  (also they're about 2 years old and way out of date, but I figure that if they're showing a strong positive they still sort of work).

The last time I did this, I recall the initial week being way more dramatic. Of course a fair amount of that great weight loss was water, but for days on end I was dropping nearly 1 kg/day.

This is very frustrating. I've cut carbs hard (not measuring, but excluding everything that looks like a carb). I'm keeping dairy to a minimum, except cream for coffee. No sugar at all.

Also skipping breakfasts, and having Knorr stock cube soup with dab of butter for lunch. Dinner is minimal size (not much protein, leafy salads).

Any ideas?

I think you are not losing weight because you are constantly starving yourself. Intermittent fasting is good, but once you break the fast you should actually eat. Meals should consist of low carb veggies, protein and fat. 

Depending on your activity level, body type and ultimate goal, you should be consuming a set amount of calories a day. The only way to determine how much you are consuming, is to use a tracker. I like the Fatsecret app. You simply input what you eat and it tracks your macros for you. Try and keep carbs below 50 grams per day to start with and consume the rest of your calories from fat and protein. 70% Fat, 25% Protein and 5% Carbs is a good start. 

Play around with the ratios until you find the place where you are not hungry, but are still losing weight. Get your body fat tested monthly. You should not be losing muscle, but rather fat. Adjustments need to made based on those numbers as well. 

Also, Knorr Stock cubes contain a whole lot of ingredients that are generally not accepted on an LCHF diet. Try and make up a meal from things that contain one ingredient. Stock cubes contain potato starch, sugar and maltodextrin just to name a few. 

Don't weigh yourself every day and just keep going. If you are constantly hungry, you are doing it wrong. 

Hi all, need advice.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you are not eating enough. I know this sounds crazy, but check out this video. It is a very good overview of amounts of foods, the whys and hows, etc.:

Sounds like you are not eating enough. I know this sounds crazy, but check out this video. It is a very good overview of amounts of foods, the whys and hows, etc.:

Thank you! Excellent presentation and very encouraging. I subscribed to his channel too, because :

1. There seems to be a lot of good content in there

2. I'm in the business of Content Marketing and Sales Enablement, and that guy's YouTube profile is a great case study

I think you are not losing weight because you are constantly starving yourself. Intermittent fasting is good, but once you break the fast you should actually eat. Meals should consist of low carb veggies, protein and fat. 

Depending on your activity level, body type and ultimate goal, you should be consuming a set amount of calories a day. The only way to determine how much you are consuming, is to use a tracker. I like the Fatsecret app. You simply input what you eat and it tracks your macros for you. Try and keep carbs below 50 grams per day to start with and consume the rest of your calories from fat and protein. 70% Fat, 25% Protein and 5% Carbs is a good start. 

Play around with the ratios until you find the place where you are not hungry, but are still losing weight. Get your body fat tested monthly. You should not be losing muscle, but rather fat. Adjustments need to made based on those numbers as well. 

Also, Knorr Stock cubes contain a whole lot of ingredients that are generally not accepted on an LCHF diet. Try and make up a meal from things that contain one ingredient. Stock cubes contain potato starch, sugar and maltodextrin just to name a few. 

Don't weigh yourself every day and just keep going. If you are constantly hungry, you are doing it wrong. 

Thanks for your well-considered reply!

I think I need to eat a bit more when I do eat, but I'll stick to the schedule as presented in the video above. It makes a lot of sense to do that.

I'll also look at loading a meal tracker, because I have no real idea what's in my meals, even though they are LCHF approved.

Funny thing about those stock cubes as a meal - I read somewhere that even Phinney or Volek (anyway, one of the high profile LCHF advocates) use them as an emergency meal, so that's how I justify it. I did a quick check of the ingredients of the Knorr cubes, and they measure up okay for the no-nos (except probably MSG). But half a cube with a scrape of butter is pretty satisfying, and it keeps me from looking in the fridge.

Speaking of "looking in the fridge", there has been one big win so far. No more big sugar craving directly after meals. Before last week I couldn't resist a scoop of ice cream after dinner, or a biscuit after lunch. Now nothing.

Edited by Lotus

• 3 weeks later...

Check this shyte...

91b70a7c7160e14cef087c401614d236.jpg

My wife purchased one by “accident”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Check this shyte...

Only surprise is they didn't call it "Reduced Fat Banting Coconut Oil'...

Bullsh%t baffles brains...

Check this shyte...

Woolies... what a bunch of sillies...