LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Beef is 32% protein. To get the same protein from steak as that powder you will need 1.2kg. I currently pay R85 a kg for free range silverside that I use to make biltong. Much cheaper.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keto WHAT now? looks to be far too much protein in there to be keto-anything... 

If you're in ketosis you can get bumped out by some grilled chicken breast...

I'm just getting back on the Keto wagon after a few months.

Realised my Macro's were completely off on my first attempt, must of had a brain fart or something when calculating them.

My fats were far too low and my carbs too high. (was on 50g Carbs an 120g Fats)

Hi

I joined this group on Facebook last year and for me the results were good without starving myself. (The Big Breakfast Banting Debate).  What I liked was that you only eat real food and no replicas formed part of the lifestyle.  Limited to no carbs, lots of fats and also a weekly "spike day" to rebalance.

May be worthwhile to check them out.

Anyone who's hungry on a LCHF diet is clearly not doing the HF part. The biggest mistake I see (Particularly amongst women), is that people move to low carb, high protein. That's not LCHF, and isn't giving you the same benefits. Why women? Because they tend to have more of a mental block to eating fat than men. I know I'm generalizing here, but it's what I've seen.

Hi

I joined this group on Facebook last year and for me the results were good without starving myself. (The Big Breakfast Banting Debate).  What I liked was that you only eat real food and no replicas formed part of the lifestyle.  Limited to no carbs, lots of fats and also a weekly "spike day" to rebalance.

May be worthwhile to check them out.

Thanks for the info earlier, I see they have quite a few ideas for vegan/vegetarian. Will give it a bash from next Monday, as I have a long ride planned for Sunday and don't want to feel like @#$% due a change in diet.

Hi guys,

Don't know if this has been discussed before, but have you looked at intermittent fasting?

I think an important part of the success of low carb, high fat, is the eating less often part, something you'll hear the likes of Tim Noakes talk about often (skipping lunch and eating only when hungry)

Hi guys,

Don't know if this has been discussed before, but have you looked at intermittent fasting?

I think an important part of the success of low carb, high fat, is the eating less often part, something you'll hear the likes of Tim Noakes talk about often (skipping lunch and eating only when hungry)

I have mentioned it a few times. Fast once a week. Last meal Sunday early evening. Water or green tea boy until Tuesday morning. Break the fast with a cup of coffee, cause I like it, and home made yoghurt with pawpaw.

Lots of good reasons to fast. Works for me

That's great! I like that idea.

I've tried 16:8 daily, which is fasting 16 hours (including sleep time) and eat in a 8 hour window for a few months and it actually worked as a method of calorie restriction.

Then I fell off due to holiday and now it's really difficult to get back into it. Guess I just need to bit the bullet

I did from Sunday to Wednesday morning twice but found it a bit long. Cuts down on my productivity.

It gives the digestive system a rest and rebalances gut bacteria. It resets portions which get bigger over time, well they do in my life. It resets your palette and you can really taste the subtleties in food after a fast. Healthy food tastes great while things like choc bars become foul.

I have found that the fasting slows recovery if I ride very hard over the weekend. That's a definite negative sometimes. It does something to how you use energy though. I will tackle a 2:30 hard training ride with lots of climbing with just a single water bottle and no food. I feel no ill effects from not taking on nutrition.

In my opinion supplements and powders are more an ally for those with little time who need the results...

Yes you can eat eggs, but for me there just is so little time to sit and prepare eggs or any other diet food preparation. But I always have a big tub of whey in the car and literally 60seconds later you have a good supplement of food, and with that around when you end up working late you can smash a shake instead of ordering in food, I have classes at night after work and often have a shake on the way there to keep me going till class ends at 9...

• 4 weeks later...

So after reading all the opinions, half truths and Bro-science here is my interpretation of scientific data which is easily available on the net.

Fat 70% or more

Protein 20% (not more)

Carbs 10% (or less and which would be incidental in the low carb foods)

The nominal values (grams per kg of body weight) to which the percentages are applied to are relative to your activity. And the concept of timing the consumption is generally overlooked or misunderstood.

Simply put your body will convert protein into glucose if there is excess. Gluconeogenisis. However one can eat more protein post workouts (once the recovery response sets in. Easy indication is after the major endorphin rush)

Feeling sluggish while trying to adapt to HFLC, having thought consuming cravings.. MCT Oil! Medium chain triglycerides dont need to be broken down by your liver and gives to the sustained boost you need to keeping your body happy. 1 to 4 teaspoons depending on activity undertaken.

Be mindful though, mct oil will satisfy the 2 issues above but will prevent weightloss if used in excess and while it's being metabolised.

Your rate of metabolism is a determining factor to calaries required and takes a short while to adjust to the "type" of calaries supplied. I use the analogy of voltages here. Rate of voltage supplied per hour vs rate of voltage required hour.

Suppliments - What can I say lol everyone is looking for a bit extra, a magic sub stance of epic proportions.. BUTT (yeah with a double T) bio availability is the factor most peeps miss.. Natural food has more power to assist us than the suppliment world. Ever wondered why the endurance section of dischem's and the like are so limited!? Will leave you to figure out that obvious one. Veggies and superfoods (defined as high nutritional value per calarie) are the key.. they're cheaper and more effective than suppliments! This is not rocket science. High nutrients which are highly bio-available and don't have a major calarie count.. The determine factor here is your uptake capacity and requirement. Had to know. Cravings, energy levels, mood, general output in all aspects of activities and medical tests (expensive option) indicate requirement. Not all are necessary ie medical tests...

PH balance is hyper essential and is managed by the low carb food choices.

I can write a ton more but this will do for now. PM me for more info (which is free and accurate)

So after reading all the opinions, half truths and Bro-science here is my interpretation of scientific data which is easily available on the net.

Fat 70% or more

Protein 20% (not more)

Carbs 10% (or less and which would be incidental in the low carb foods)

The nominal values (grams per kg of body weight) to which the percentages are applied to are relative to your activity. And the concept of timing the consumption is generally overlooked or misunderstood.

Simply put your body will convert protein into glucose if there is excess. Gluconeogenisis. However one can eat more protein post workouts (once the recovery response sets in. Easy indication is after the major endorphin rush)

Feeling sluggish while trying to adapt to HFLC, having thought consuming cravings.. MCT Oil! Medium chain triglycerides dont need to be broken down by your liver and gives to the sustained boost you need to keeping your body happy. 1 to 4 teaspoons depending on activity undertaken.

Be mindful though, mct oil will satisfy the 2 issues above but will prevent weightloss if used in excess and while it's being metabolised.

Your rate of metabolism is a determining factor to calaries required and takes a short while to adjust to the "type" of calaries supplied. I use the analogy of voltages here. Rate of voltage supplied per hour vs rate of voltage required hour.

Suppliments - What can I say lol everyone is looking for a bit extra, a magic sub stance of epic proportions.. BUTT (yeah with a double T) bio availability is the factor most peeps miss.. Natural food has more power to assist us than the suppliment world. Ever wondered why the endurance section of dischem's and the like are so limited!? Will leave you to figure out that obvious one. Veggies and superfoods (defined as high nutritional value per calarie) are the key.. they're cheaper and more effective than suppliments! This is not rocket science. High nutrients which are highly bio-available and don't have a major calarie count.. The determine factor here is your uptake capacity and requirement. Had to know. Cravings, energy levels, mood, general output in all aspects of activities and medical tests (expensive option) indicate requirement. Not all are necessary ie medical tests...

PH balance is hyper essential and is managed by the low carb food choices.

I can write a ton more but this will do for now. PM me for more info (which is free and accurate)

hi, sorry if its in previous threats, but...

What is the easiest way to include more fat in ones diet?

I find it easy to cut the carbs and up some protein but is there easier way to get more "good" fat in?

What is the easiest way to include more fat in ones diet?

I find it easy to cut the carbs and up some protein but is there easier way to get more "good" fat in?

Easiest is a couple of table spoons of Olive Oil or coconut oil at breakfast, lunch and supper. But 'easiest' may not always be the nicest, so not sustainable. I'd suggest you find a source of fat that you like eating and just include more of that.

Butter on veggies, high fat cheeses, salads with olive oil, bullet-proof coffee, etc

Be careful if the fat you like is meat based (bacon, biltong, etc) as you often end up eating way too much protein in the pursuit of the fat.